1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Classy Organization] Former Texan cheerleaders file wage sex discrimination lawsuit against Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by IBTL, Jun 1, 2018.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member

"texans are a classy organization"
    LOL

so much for that statue mcnair BWAHAHA

Poor watson ..seems like a good kid.. fun to watch. Hard to root for this ownership

Sidebar: has anyone ever heard cal mcnair speak? Is he mute?

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-...erleaders-sue-sex-discrimination-12959765.php
    "
    Five former Texans cheerleaders filed suit Friday in Houston federal court against the NFL team, accusing the Texans of paying cheerleaders a dime a minute to cheer for pro football players who are paid in the millions of dollars.
    The suit, filed by attorney Gloria Allred and Houston attorney Kimberly Spurlock on behalf of five former Texans cheerleaders, is the second filed against the Texans and the latest in a series of legal actions accusing NFL teams of failing to pay minimum wage and overtime and in subjecting cheerleaders to unsafe working conditions.
    THREE OTHERS SUE: Former cheerleaders allege pay violations, body shaming
    "While their beauty and cheers provided ample entertainment for fans, the Houston Texans cheerleaders were never treated like the integral part of the team that they are," the lawsuit said.
    Attorney Gloria Allred speaks during a press conference announcing a lawsuit on behalf of five former Houston Texan NFL cheerleaders at the law offices of Kimberley Spurloc
    "I stand with four of my cheer sisters who want to show girls and young women that we are more than pretty faces in a cheer uniform," said Hannah Turnbow, a 2017 cheerleader who is the lead plaintiff in the lawsuit. "We are a team to be reckoned with."
    Causes of action include failure to receive proper payment, failure to pay minimum wage, unpaid overtime compensation, assault by threat of bodily injury, negligence, intentional infliction of emotional distress and breach of contract.
    Also, the lead plaintiff, Turnbow, is in the process of filing a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the lawsuit said.
    Allred said the Texans and their fans owe current and former cheerleaders respect and proper pay for their performance.
    "Stop penny-pinching," Allred said. "Pay these women what they deserve, and be sure you pay them for every minute they work," Allred said, "Everyone who supports this team while how these cheerleaders are being treated are complicit.
    "Players, stand up for your co-workers. Do not stand silently by while these women who dance and work so hard to build enthusiasm and help you win are paid almost nothing while you earn millions of dollars for your efforts. Fans, when you buy a calendar and a cup and enjoy seeing cheerleaders (perform) ... think about how these women are being cheated out of a living wage.
    The suit seeks unspecified damages.
    "You paid for your ticket. Demand change and fair treatment for the cheerleaders who enhance your experience."
    Allred posed with a T-shirt with the phrase $7.25, signifying the minimum wage that Texans cheerleaders were paid.
    This is the second such lawsuit against the Texans organization. On May 22, three former Texans cheerleaders sued the team and its cheerleading supervisor, accusing them of failing to pay minimum wage and overtime and accusing the cheer squad director of body-shaming and failing to act on complaints that cheerleaders were physically assaulted by fans.
    A Texans spokesperson said the team did not have any additional comment beyond their statement last week.
    "We are proud of the cheerleader program and have had hundreds of women participate and enjoy their experience while making a positive impact in the local community," the statement said. "We are constantly evaluating our procedures and will continue to make adjustments as needed to make the program enjoyable for everyone."
    The allegations follow several other lawsuits that cheerleaders have filed against NFL teams across the country. Recent lawsuits have been filed against the Saints and Dolphins by former cheerleaders, and several Washington cheerleaders told The New York Times they were required to participate in off-field activities with team sponsors.
    "The Houston Texans should not have given us a uniform if they did not want us to become an army," said Ainsle Parish, a cheerleader in 2016-17.
    "

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I'm kind of shocked it has taken this long for the #cheerleaderrevolt

Seems like a class action suit waiting to happen

plutoblue11 likes this.
  3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Everyone should be treated fair I agree but if cheerleaders actually think ppl pay to see them over the game they are insane.

Sajan likes this.
  6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'm with the ladies. No way should they have to work another job and be cheerleaders too. Doesn't make sense to me. Back in the day I used to work with a young lady who was at the time a Texans cheerleader. I was applled at the fact that she was making more per hour at the job than she was as a cheerleader.

gatsby and How Sweet It Is! like this.
  7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The organization is wrong for using them, and I hope that they lose the lawsuits against them. Lord knows the McNairs have been raking in money hand over fist with a fan base that sells out seats no matter how crappy the product on the field is.

That being said, cheerleading as a practice in pro sports needs to end.

UTSA2step likes this.
  8. raining threes

Looks like teams are going to start doing away with cheerleaders.

macho GRANDE and Sajan like this.
  9. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Pretty common for cheerleaders and all game day staff for sports teams to make minimum wage or slightly more. I've done game day staff work, you don't do it to make a living. Even the full time positions are crap pay unless you make it to an executive level.

BigShasta and csj like this.
  10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

In-game entertainment doesn't matter anymore. Nowadays when there is a break in the game, people look at their phones.

raining threes likes this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I could've sworn back in the early-to-mid-90's a Rockets cheerleader said basically the same thing. They were paid squat and made most of the money they did in appearances at various events.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Why does the NFL even have cheerleaders? Does anyone pay attention to them?

vince likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's time for the NFL to do away with them. Current year politics and cheerleaders aren't compatible and let's face it, no one really needs them at the NFL level.

macho GRANDE and Two Sandwiches like this.
  14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Sell the team, McNair. You are a dumbass.

Fulgore, Nook and raining threes like this.
  15. Newlin

Newlin Member

I've always thought of them as being more like exotic dancers than cheerleaders. They mainly just shake their booty. Right?

The girls should be paid what they were promised, but who thinks this should be a high paying job? I really don't think they add much to the game day experience.

These lawsuits will probably bring a quick end to NFL cheerleading squads.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I think they're mostly for tv shots. Zoom in on hot, breasty blonde as you go in and out of commercials.

Sajan likes this.
  17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Exactly, this isn't a Texans problem as much as OP wants it to be. This is an American Sports problem. Look at what the Spurs are doing next year, I think others will follow suit.

18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

About to be blacklisted...

raining threes likes this.
  19. conquistador#11

while we're at it, I hate mascots, unless they're real mascots like the Texas longhorns with their fancy cows.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I just can't get over the fact that NFL cheerleaders actually think that they are an "integral part of the team". That's just incredibly delusional.

gatsby, DFWRocket, vince and 6 others like this.