1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets becoming more eager to run and gun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by H-TownBBall, Oct 22, 2007.

1. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5233362.html

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

And Tracy will get out when he feels like it.

LOL. Rafer dissing TMac.

3. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

We made some fast break points in last game and to see Rockets free on offense is really something that you can enjoy in,our new offensive system is more fun,and hopfuly fans will like it :D

4. Barkley

Barkley Member

Damn we easily score more than 100 even 110 points a game in the preseason.

5. aceport

aceport New Member

games in preseason are always easy to run

6. Barkley

Barkley Member

Agree but It's excitin' to just see our offense.

7. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

too bad the defense is no good.

8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I agree but at the same time...we still play better defense than the suns.
    the suns were also able to coast through the regular season, and should have beaten the spurs last year (goooo donaghy and other refs....also it should be noted that I hate the suns deeply, so I believe this to be an unbiased statement).

I'd rather watch them coast through the regular season playing moderate defense with a fun offense than last year. don't get me wrong I enjoyed seeing 24 second shot clock violations...but I've fallen in love with adelman's offense.

besides, when it comes to the playoffs...they'll certainly tighten up their defense.

9. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I don't think this is a dis

TMac played way too many minutes last season (along with the rest of the starters) and probably did only run when he felt like it.

Depth is what will allow us to run as much as the system. I've played enough basketball to know that it's a lot easier to run if you know your gonna get a couple minutes of rest here and there.

10. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

only when the scrubs are in. our first unit D is EXCELLENT.

that's why u judge preseason games only when your starters or main guys are in. when our main guys are in, we played superb on both sides of the ball.

11. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

yup, last yr tmac didn't run as much even when we had opportunities. but that's also due to the fact that he was not in great shape nor was he conditioned for that last yr.

this yr, IN PRACTICE, the entire team has been running A LOT. so he's already used to it. he won't get winded or anything like that. when yao is on the bench, i want them to increase the pace to a suns-style. if we have rafer-james/francis-tmac-battier/bonzi-scola, we should just run like crazy.

12. Barkley

Barkley Member

Well of course defense is worst no suprise. But damn if we're gonna play that way we're gonna kill the other teams offensivly. I still love that. Look how many charges we have taken.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Some things are funny because they are true. :)

On the other hand, Tracy and others probably did not run much because Van Gundy wanted them to stay back and rebound instead.

14. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

It isn't possible to "run and gun" with Yao Ming on the court. He's too slow.

15. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Yao doesn't have to be part of every play. He could trail once and a while and hit the outside shot. A good defense would slow us down anyways, and thats where Yao will be effective. Its possible, RA's been doing forever.

16. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I wouldn't say it's worse. The starters have held Hornets, Mavericks, and Sonics to 9 pts, 16 pts, and 17 pts and 30-40% FG in the 1st quarter. That's better defensively than most of the games, last year.

The scrubs are playing extended minutes to get an idea of the rotation. The other players have mediocre defense. Scola is just learning the system. The young players are learning, also. Head has always been weak defensively. Bonzi has improved his defense. Novak was bad at defensively last year. Spurs got rid of Jackie Butler, because he couldn't play D.

17. Jd1

Jd1 Member

Did Yao forbid other players to "run and gun"?
    Like seven said, Yao would've caught up by the time they figure out the fast break play doesn't work out.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It only takes 3 players to execute a fast break. Every now and then, Yao will finish like he does now.

19. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Didn't we brag about having a running team during the 1999-2000 preseason (Francis rookie season) and then we looked like a disaster in the regular season? I'm taking a wait and see approach.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Rafer is much better at running the break than Francis. Running is not just about speed. It's about decision making. The break that Feigan described at the beginning of the article was a beautiful thing. I doubt that Francis could ever dream to make that pass to T-Mac. And Scola's outlet was awesome too. I hope Yao can do that more often.