1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Inserted at one, Rockets' Head makes case for more minutes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by macfan, Oct 14, 2006.

1. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4258794.html

Experiment works for Head
    Inserted at one, guard makes case for more minutes

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

LITTLE ROCK, ARK. - Initially, Luther Head understood. Then, he ached.

In a way, Head could have been pleased, flattered even when Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy told him he would not be playing in the first preseason game Tuesday.

A year after he was a rookie unlikely to find a place in the rotation, he had been told he could go sit next to established 12-year veteran Juwan Howard. With roughly 2,300 rookie minutes last season, Head need not audition.

But Van Gundy needed to experiment. So by Friday, he not only reinserted Head into the rotation, he had him run to the point to check out another possible backup for Rafer Alston, with Head's stint at point helping the Rockets take a 27-point lead on their way to a 107-93 victory over the Atlanta Hawks, before 6,275 at Alltel Arena.

"I was comfortable," said Head, who led the Rockets with 20 points and five assists. "I was just playing, really. I had a couple bad plays, but I was comfortable playing point. I have to just keep trying to get better, ball-handling, getting us organized, the right plays. Then, take it from there."

In Head's nearly eight second-quarter minutes playing point guard, the Rockets outscored the Hawks 28-14, including a 16-0 run when he first moved over from shooting guard.

"His best chance to maximize his minutes is if he can effectively make our team function as a point guard both offensively and defensively," Van Gundy said. "That would give him the best chance to maximize opportunities — vision, decision-making and just having the experience.

"It's like quarterbacks. Quarterbacks are quarterbacks from early on.

"Same is true with point guards. They just play that their whole life. Luther has been a wing his whole life.

"He's trying to do something that's difficult, certainly."

Solidifying force
    But in that second-quarter stretch with Head at the point, the Rockets had two turnovers (after getting 10 in the first 16 minutes of the half).

"I've been playing a lot of point," Head said. "We've been scrimmaging a lot in practices. He's let me run the team. I think I've been doing all right. Hopefully, I can keep learning the position and get better at it.

"As a team, we have a lot of new guys. Everything is not clicking right now because so much new stuff is being thrown at everybody.

"Once we get that, everybody will be comfortable, including me."

Nearly everything clicked in Friday's first half, the half Tracy McGrady played. McGrady made four of his five shots. The Rockets made 59.4 percent of their attempts. And the lead reached 27 points on the way to a 65-40 halftime cushion.

The lead was cut to 20 heading into the fourth quarter and reduced to as few as seven with rookies John Lucas and Vassilis Spanoulis again struggling, offering Van Gundy additional motivation to keep looking at Head at point.

"He did fine," Van Gundy said. "He's safe with the ball. Usually he is more safe than he was tonight (when he had three turnovers). We're having trouble handling the ball, obviously. Our four guys who played at the point had 15 of the 23 turnovers. We can do better than that."

By the start of the second half, Head and Alston — who finished with 15 points, six rebounds and four assists in 22 minutes — started together, with Head seeming at home at shooting guard.

With Kirk Snyder, who had a much better showing in his second game than in his first, and Bonzi Wells on the roster, Head will almost certainly have to play some point to even approach 2,300 minutes.

"He just needs to be part of a group and help a team function efficiently at both ends," Van Gundy said of what he expects of Head as a point guard. "Since that's not something he grew up doing, can he handle the ball against pressure?

"He has not shot the ball well in practice, but I have no doubts he'll make enough to space the floor. He is a safe guy at the two. Whether he can do the same thing as a one, we'll see."

Tough to sit
    Head showed at least enough to give Van Gundy something to consider.

If nothing else, he did not have to go through the discomfort of sitting there watching.

"I was OK when I heard I was not going to play," Head said. "When it was happening, me being who I am, I wanted to be out there. It was tough.

"The more opportunities I get, the more I'll try to take advantage of them."

But when he finally did get out there, he might have begun to make at least one of Van Gundy's decisions a bit easier.
    The Rockets started Tracy McGrady and Shane Battier at small forward and shooting guard, respectively, to give Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy a look at the
    bigger lineup.

With Yao Ming out, Chuck Hayes started at center, with Steve Novak at power forward. Van Gundy said that with McGrady and Battier starting at the wing positions and Yao at center, he could go with a range-shooting power forward or a more traditional power forward, Hayes or Juwan Howard.

"I'm not sure we won't start games bigger and work down," Van Gundy said. "I'm not sure we would start a shooting four with them or not.

"When Bonzi (Wells) is on the floor, you need to get him a shooting four so he (Wells) can be in the post."

Johnson's uniform retired
    Hawks forward Joe Johnson, a native of Little Rock, had his Little Rock Central High School uniform retired Friday afternoon and again before Friday's game.

The game, a Rockets home game, was Johnson's second preseason NBA game in his hometown after the New Orleans/Oklahoma City held a home game in Little Rock last season against the Atlanta Hawks.

"It means a lot to get to play in front of my hometown crowd," Johnson said.

"It gives them a chance to see me play firsthand, and it gives me time to hang out with family and friends. I was very excited to see it on the schedule."

Johnson said he was not sure what he had done in the past year to have his number retired this year as opposed to last.

"I couldn't tell you, but I'm glad to have it done, now," Johnson said.

Meeting again
    Rockets guard Vassilis Spanoulis had his first game against a member of the U.S. World Championship team with Friday's matchup against the Hawks and Joe
    Johnson.

But Spanoulis, who keyed Greece's semifinals upset of the United States, said he had no plans to acknowledge the reunion or the ones to come.

"No, no, no, the national team is different than here," Spanoulis said.

"Now, this is another thing, that is past. No reason to say anything."

Spanoulis said he has not brought up the World Championship with teammate and USA Basketball player Shane Battier.

"Maybe in the future, but not now," Spanoulis said.

Battier said there would be extra rookie duty for Spanoulis if he tried that.

Johnson said he did not mind seeing a member of that Greek team again.

"It's nothing major," Johnson said. "They played a game and got a victory. Seeing him doesn't bother me."

ROCKETS NOTES: Starting big

The Rockets started Tracy McGrady and Shane Battier at small forward and shooting guard, respectively, to give Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy a look at the
    bigger lineup.

With Yao Ming out, Chuck Hayes started at center, with Steve Novak at power forward. Van Gundy said that with McGrady and Battier starting at the wing positions and Yao at center, he could go with a range-shooting power forward or a more traditional power forward, Hayes or Juwan Howard.

"I'm not sure we won't start games bigger and work down," Van Gundy said. "I'm not sure we would start a shooting four with them or not.

"When Bonzi (Wells) is on the floor, you need to get him a shooting four so he (Wells) can be in the post."

Johnson's uniform retired
    Hawks forward Joe Johnson, a native of Little Rock, had his Little Rock Central High School uniform retired Friday afternoon and again before Friday's game.

The game, a Rockets home game, was Johnson's second preseason NBA game in his hometown after the New Orleans/Oklahoma City held a home game in Little Rock last season against the Atlanta Hawks.

"It means a lot to get to play in front of my hometown crowd," Johnson said.

"It gives them a chance to see me play firsthand, and it gives me time to hang out with family and friends. I was very excited to see it on the schedule."

Johnson said he was not sure what he had done in the past year to have his number retired this year as opposed to last.

"I couldn't tell you, but I'm glad to have it done, now," Johnson said.

Meeting again
    Rockets guard Vassilis Spanoulis had his first game against a member of the U.S. World Championship team with Friday's matchup against the Hawks and Joe
    Johnson.

But Spanoulis, who keyed Greece's semifinals upset of the United States, said he had no plans to acknowledge the reunion or the ones to come.

"No, no, no, the national team is different than here," Spanoulis said.

"Now, this is another thing, that is past. No reason to say anything."

Spanoulis said he has not brought up the World Championship with teammate and USA Basketball player Shane Battier.

"Maybe in the future, but not now," Spanoulis said.

Battier said there would be extra rookie duty for Spanoulis if he tried that.

Johnson said he did not mind seeing a member of that Greek team again.

"It's nothing major," Johnson said. "They played a game and got a victory. Seeing him doesn't bother me."

2. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Battier should not be playing the 2, not even experimentally.

3. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Offensively, there is no distinction between the 2 and the 3. Tracy will be the first perimeter option whether he plays the 2 or 3. Those positions are interchangeable. Defensively they can switch too, because they are versatile. If you want to go small you put Shane at the 4, it you want to go big, you let him play the 2/3

4. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

Man sometimes I can not understand some of the posters on this board. Granted I too have made my fair share of mistakes but one thing that boggles my mind is why so many people were almost desperate to get rid of Luther. The guy was one of the very few bright spots in our dismal season. He worked is butt off every game last year. He did what most rookies do and that was hit a rookie wall but other than that he was solid. Other than that he did nothing to warrant all "Trade Luther Head" mentality that was and still is all over this board.

None of what he did tonight suprises me. As a matter of fact I believe Luther will drop alot of jaws around here this season. The kid dedicated himself to his game this summer and he posseses one thing that you cannot teach, killer instinct. Just remember all of the clutch shots he made at the end of games last year. He will only get better. I have said it before and I will say it again, Luther Head will be a very good NBA player and a huge steal when all is said and done. Thank God some of our posters are not Rockets GMs willing to trade away a jewel just because he is "undersized."

5. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

Why wouldn't they want to experiment with that? Battier can definitely defend 2's and on offence all he has to do is knock down jumpers so why can't he play the 2 or 3 position.

6. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

I don't think they wanted to trade him last year because of his skill set and potential, rather it was that he was the only valuble trading piece we had. Thats why you saw all these trades with Head in them.

7. high5

high5 Member

Letting Battier handle opposing 2's is less 'experimental' than role you have in your sig b/c FYI he's seen more minutes at perimeter than at 4 throughout his career.

Precisely, and it's really funny people don't seem to realize this.

When you compare McGrady/Wesley wing combo to McGrady/Battier you see the flexibility we gained by acquiring Battier. T-Mac's offensive role doesn't change one tiny bit, but defensively he can always get easier assignment, which wasn't the case with Wesley around.

8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

yep, he can stroke it. he could last season too, he just didn't have yao/tracy to take the pressure off him and...well he was a rookie. he's going to be good this year, as you said.

9. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I was the one who started the Luther Head will be traded thread. But it wasn't for a lack of belief in the kid. I always felt he was or best backup at pg last year. Yeah he didn't have great handles but his handles aren't so much better now and he did possess that killer instinct and a good stroke and with Alston experiencing some very poor shooting I wanted Luther on the court more. But JVG never agreed and only saw Head as a 2. Well with Snyder Casey and Bonzi brought in and the attempt to get M James who I thought would see alot of duty at the 2 with Alston it just looked like Head was not in the picture. Add that to the fact that we still need a backup big for Yao and you usually have to give up something to get something, I thought the writing was on the wall.

Well now Van Gundy has decided to give Head a look at the backup PG because he is disgusted with the other 2 backups and it looks like I was wrong. I can admit that. But don't think it was ever because I didn't see Head's talent. I saw it long ago and was disappointed it wasn't being used more.

On a side note VSpan looks to be headed for the inactive list. And while I am disappointed with that because I think the kid has so much potential, I can understand it. What I can't understand is why he won't get more minutes in these meaningless preseason games. What better time for him to work through his woes then now. Yes he is struggling with his turnovers and his shot sucks but he still shows flashes of brilliance and good hustle. So why stall his development when now is the perfect time to allow him to work through some of these errors. The kid is being thrown alot of new info and has probably the most difficult challenge on the team. He has to learn a whole new style of play with new rules and a very complexed defense not to mention a whole new offense where he is the leader of executing. Even Head acknowledged this, "As a team, we have a lot of new guys. Everything is not clicking right now because so much new stuff is being thrown at everybody. Once we get that, everybody will be comfortable, including me." ANd Vspan is being force fed all of this new stuff with the added burden of being one of the last ones to come onboard and also learning a whole new culture and english is his second language. So understandably he is going to struggle. But he loves the game and what better time to allow him to work through his woes than these early meaningless games.

And before you JVG lovers start trashing my posts let me just say I understand this is JVG's style of coaching. He wants you to show off the court what you got and not allow you to work through it on the court. It is why he reluctantly and only out of desperation gave Head so many minutes last year. And was looking for his replacement this year but now he sees the guys improvements and is more willing to play him. That's his style and while I don't like it I understand it. I only bring this up because I see KillBill as our future point and would only like to further his development at a faster pace. But right now what I see is alot of time on the inactive list for him. And maybe not until next year will he contribute.

On another note to keep some of you JVG only fans off of me I will even throw you this tidbit. ;) I love the new offensive schemes he's added and they way he is trying to keep so many shooters on the court. I also like the way he seems to be more upbeat on the sidelines, not that I need a coach to smile all the time (it actually makes me a bit nervous with JVG... I am waiting for the guy to rip open his shirt and reveal a bunch of dynamite strapped to his chest) but it's nice to see him look like he is enjoying himself a little bit from time to time. I even liked the quick timeout when he could see his players where not executing his offense properly and he let them have it a bit without overly screaming at them. You don't always have to scream to get through to someone. So overall I am happy with the way the team is coming around the future looks good and we haven't even seen Yao and Bonzi. Go ROCKETS!

#9 Old Man Rock, Oct 14, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2006
  10. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

are you implying that Head can stroke it?

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Good points OMR, but I think the debate over VSpan might be flawed. Let's say we let VSpan have all the backup 1 minutes during the preseason, then we never would have seen Head play the one. Basically, JVG needs to experiment with the one so that when the season starts, he knows what he has. Any other year, you would be right, but with the new guys and players playing out of position, JVG is doing the right thing IMO.

I didn't know about this new 'happy' JVG. Kind of weird. I just hope he doesn't lose his coaching edge by changing his ways. I guess change can be a good thing, but I'm with you on the read to blow up part.

12. Old Man Rock

I agree Don, he needs to see Head and Lucas at the point but Vspan only got 4 minutes and it seemed as soon as he made a couple of mistakes he was yanked. I just wanted Van Gundy to let him work through it a little bit. 4 minutes is not much time to get comfortable on the court. But no problem. I wouldn't even mention it if it weren't for the fact that I think the kid will be a player for us. He has gotten better at every level and has been a winner at every level. He schooled Chis Paul in the WC's and I see no reason why he won't improve with us and eventually be a strong contributor. So definitely no biggie just a little disappointed.

P.S. What are you doing up so early?

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Nice post, Old Man Rock.

I'm really really looking forward to this season... :).

14. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

Therapist: OK everyone, listen up, we have a new person joining group today. His name is Jeff. Everyone say hi to Jeff.

Group: Hi Jeff!

Jeff: (mumble)

Therapist: Jeff, please tell the group why you are in here.

Jeff: It was a pack of lies! I did not try to blow up David Stern! Hey Chief, your chair is out of position over there in the circle. Pull it in about a foot and move just to the left a bit.

Adrian Monk: That's exactly what I've been trying to tell him! Chief, you upset the balance of the circle by being out of alignment.

Jeff: Don't make me cut you from the squad Chief! You have potential to be a great center in the mold of Shaq!

Therapist: Jeff you are no longer a basketball coach - you need to concentrate on getting well.

Jeff: I will always be a basketball coach - when they put me in assisted living I will be coaching a team of people with walkers and wheelchairs!!
    (end of strange dream)

VSpan probably needs some time at the 2 and just get used to playing and shooting first. Then coach him over the long haul for the 1 - like maybe late this season or next season. Time with the Toros is probably not a bad idea for a month or two - I hope Morey considers it - JVG might not.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

For our team, these preseason games aren't totally meaningless. We have a lot of new players to integrate, not just V-Span, which is why we can't afford to just let him flame out for long periods of time. He was so awful yesterday no coach in the NBA would have left him in there. It has nothing to do with JVG. When a new player is running on empty, you take him out and minimize the damage to his confidence. So it's back to the drawing board until next Tuesday. Now that expectations are in line with reality, we can all watch V-Span grow (maybe slowly) into a productive NBA player.

On Luther: I still hate the form on his shot and when he misses, he misses by a mile. But he looked good at the point and on the wing yesterday so we can hope he carries this on to the regular season. He also looked a little better playing defense, even though he's overmatched against most SGs.

JL3: I've got a feeling he will calm down start playing better.

16. Old Man Rock

He was awful? Okay now who is being extreme. He made some mistakes but he also made several good passes. Granted one of them was to Mutombo who shouldn't ever be given a bounce pass in the post but these are things he will learn given time. He looks better than Lucas at distributing the ball and has more upside than any other point on the team. Running on empty after 4 minutes... :eek: you're kidding right. VSpan has more confidence than you will ever dream of he just needs time to acclimate himself to the NBA game but if you are so worried about his confidence don't even put him in. 4 minutes is not even worth the effort and IMO only serves to damage an already very confident player. Think about it if you were having sex with your girl and after 30 seconds she threw you off of her and said you suck would that build your confidence. What's even more stupid about your comments are that you give JL3 credit the benefit of eventually calming down but not Vspan. Well I can assure Vspan will too.

As for the games being meaningless of course there not meaningless. Yes this the time to look a players and combinations and rotations, etc. But whether we win or lose is meaningless especially in these early games. So doesn't make sense that this would be the time to give KillBill more minutes if you intended to see what his got and help him get over some of that nervous newness to the NBA. Wouldn't you think that? Don't answer.

Also what is up with this unyielding can do no wrong lovefest you have with JVG. I gave the guy credit for doing some good things yesterday. And the only thing I didn't care for was his handling of Vspan's playing time and while I didn't particularly like it I understood it. What more do you want. The guy is human he is going to make mistakes whether you like it or not but as long as he doesn't seem like he is being a moron I will try to give him the benefit of doubt. Peace out.

#16 Old Man Rock, Oct 14, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2006
  17. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Speaking of Luther:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AKUmW-zQiyU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AKUmW-zQiyU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I really like Luther's mental makeup from what I've heard about him and seen from him. It's never easy being an NBA rookie, but life can be even tougher when you are a rookie forced to play huge minutes on a undermanned squad giving Van Gundy his first losing season in his coaching career. He probably didn't have that much fun last year... but he kept his mouth shut and looks determined to learn and improve...

Sure, it's one preseason game, but Luther Head seems much improved. I like his chances for the upcoming year.

Maybe he can prove himself so we can trade him and Juwan somewhere midseason... ;)

I kid, I kid...

18. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Spanoulis got a good amount of minutes the first game. I think Van Gundy was just trying to send the message to him the 2nd game that he'll earn his minutes by limiting his mistakes as the preseason and the season rolls on.

Bill seems to be a talented and motivated player... I'm sure he'll work on it and have it corrected sometime down the line. It just might take a while.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

VanGundier, nice video. It is amazing the "ups" that Luther had in college. I never see them in the NBA. Maybe we need more fast breaks to show them off! He was really getting up there with no trouble!

20. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

I have been saying it all summer. Luther worked on his game daily and will be a nice player for us. I see him as being a poor mans version of jason terry (he is even clutch like terry) with potential to be at terry's level. Please stop asking for him to be traded!!