1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Hayes likes the underdog role

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by H-TownBBall, Nov 13, 2007.

1. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5296520.html

2. krockets

krockets Member

I very appreciate Chuck's effort and the little stuffs he did for the team...

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

chuck's fantastic. as long as the coaches recognize what he does i'll continue to chuckle at the amount of posters who just don't get it.

i still think scola will become the better player, but hayes's defense will always be integral to this team.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Been screaming for Hayes to start all offseason...

5. pli777

pli777 Member

Just little? not big, huge gigantive?

That's very much a understatement, littlely.

6. Junetastic

Junetastic Member

That article made me appreciate Chuck a lot more. I was one of those guys in the preseason who couldn't wait for Scola to take over as the starting PF.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

He should take that surgery to make him 4 inches taller. Then he'd be unbeatable.

8. StanleyHartwell

Maybe Yao can donate some of his inches to Hayes

9. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

Chuck should lend some of his bball iq and workman attitude to Francis.

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I can see Scola being the much superior offense option. I can see Scola getting a lot of boards.

But Scola will never defend like Chuck. Chuck is one of the top 5 defenders in the NBA. Most people don't know it yet. But he is.

11. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

"Hayes likes the underdog role"

What's Chuck gonna do if he doesn't like his underdog role, demanding a trade? LOL

12. Astockmarketgod

sounds to me like they should use him more against Boozer and Dirk

13. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

That article makes me want a Chuck Hayes jersey.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Chuck's scoring is down even more than usual this year, but I think in time that should pick up. His defense has been superb; better than last year in my view. Less mistakes, less fouls.

15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Regardless of whether or not Scola ever takes over as the starter, Chuck Hayes is the kind of guy that will always be invaluable to any team he plays on. I'm really glad we've got guys like Hayes, Battier and Scola who all hustle and play smart basketball. It beats the hell out the Mo Taylor days.

16. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

That's really good to hear, because I think that was the intention of the article (and I said so in the comments section of it! LOL)

Durvasa, I think thats because he's been trying to tip more instead of catch on some of those offensive rebounds. I noticed that in the first couple of games. Instead of pulling it down and going back up, he's trying to go up and tip it in all in one motion. Should be something he can improve on the more times he tries it.

17. University Blue

I like Hayes's energy, but Houston is one athletic PF away from legitimately competing for a title.

Houston needs an athletic PF to compensate for the PG's and YM's defensive deficiencies.

18. Htown57

Htown57 Member

Good article. Statistically, chuck hayes' value to the team is unquestionable. Steals, charges taken, and offensive rebounds all create extra posessions for the team--each gives us an extra shot, without giving the other team one.

Chuck exels in these categories. 2.6 offensive rebounds and 1.14 steals per game, plus a bunch tips, knockdowns, offensive fouls drawn, help defense leading to other players steals, and other such things that we DON'T have stats for.

The rockets average 1.04 points per possesion. So without even factoring in any of those unquantifiable stats, and without taking into account SPECTACULAR defense, the possesions he creates through offensice rebounds and steals alone add an average 3.866 ppg for the rockets each game.

That may not seem like a lot, but 4 points in a contested leauge, and 4 FREE points (coming off EXTRA possesions) is HUGE, especially when you consider he does that in only 26 minutes, and wh en you consider that doesn't even count tipped balls, partial strips, and defense.

For all those who have mad Chuck love, the statistics are with you.

19. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

If only Chuck had an outside shot. :(

20. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

I wish Rudy was here in Houston with the Rockets like he's supposed to be.