1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Hackenberg - Your quarterback of the future

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Jan 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I feel like the writing is on the wall. O'Brien is still very close to Hackenberg. He has the best scouting report on him of anyone in the NFL. Hackenberg's declaration today, thanking O'Brien but not Franklin. Basically declaring he wants to play for O'Brien in the NFL.

I'm alright with this. I'm very happy with it, actually. Hackenberg will be a player, and sooner than some think. I feel like he may sit six games or eight games behind Hoyer, but I feel he'll start some games his rookie year. I'd love to get him in the second round, but I think his stock will rise through the evaluation process. His football IQ, strong arm, and character will elevate him.

After all, he played like a future star under O'Brien. Two years ago, he was a surefire number one pick. Then, a new regime came and ruined him.

How can we be mad? Only way it doesn't happen is if someone steals him from us.

Here's my prediction, although that may change drastically:

1.Hackenberg
    2. Devontae Booker
    3. Pharaoh Cooper

I will sit back and self-immolate now...

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think you're right. We'll draft him.

3. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

He has been garbage, I'll pass, but yes the Texans will draft him way to early and possibly even trade up in the first if they need. Like I've said I think he'll be another Locker, great potential, was crap in college and does not turn out to much in pro's. Only O'Brien guy I want at QB is Brady and we aren't getting him. Hopefully we can get Goff, Lynch or Wentz or someone else that has been moving up. Also not huge on Cook either.

1 person likes this.
  4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

He may not amount to anything, and I'm okay with that.

O'Brien has the deepest scouting report on this kid of anyone in the league. If he signs off on it, it's because he believes in him. If O'Brien believes in him, I'm fine with that. All he's done is get the greatest football of not one, not two, not three, but possibly seven quarterbacks in their careers. If he signs off on the kid, I'm all for it. In fact, I'm almost positive that this is the guy O'Brien was actually sitting and waiting for. This is the reason we've had a couple placeholders.

Maybe O'Brien will get excited about Wentz. I could see that. Problem is, he's still taking a gamble based off limited scouting, and may have to trade up. Why would he do that?

Maybe he likes Goff. Well, Goff is a gamble, too. He played in a screwy system that you're not sure how it translates to the NFL. He'd have to bet the farm for that gamble, too. I don't see him doing that. You can trade Goff's name for Lynch here, too.

I think Cook and Wentz are the two that you have to watch out for over Hack. I think Cook's attitude will scare people off, and I think Wentz's injury, coupled with competition level may scare O'Brien off, too. Because of that, he'll stick with the safe bet.

I honestly think Hackenberg's declaration had a small plea encoded in it. He wants to be here. O'Brien wants him here.

5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

He will be given every chance to succeed. We only need a better running game and another weapon opposite Hopkins. He would be able to sit for year possibly while we put more talent around him for him to succeed.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yet another O'Brien failed qb experiment.

1 person likes this.
  7. Nimo

Nimo Member

He might not even outplay Tom Savage in camp

1 person likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Still better than wasting a pick on Cardale Jones.

9. thejav

thejav Member

God i hope not..hopefully they pick up elliot and cook..

10. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

DO'Brien "believed@ in Hoyer and Mallett. 'Nuff said

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Texans fans should be confident BoB will get the most out of any QB. Sure, he's overrated scrubs... but those scrubs mostly played their best behind his tutelage.

War, Fitz
    War, Hoyer
    War, Weeden
    War, Brady (not a scrub, but for argument's sake...)
    War, smartest guy in the room

[​IMG]

;)

#11 Houstunna, Jan 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  12. Fantasma Negro

If the Texans are smart they won't take a qb in this draft. Philip Rivers should be the target, he can mentor Savage and Daniels and actually give Hopkins a legitimate qb. In the draft, Texans should be looking at rb in the first, mlb in the second and then build up the o line

13. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Yuck. If that was my only choice I'd rather ride with Hoyer 1 more season

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

No way. Huge effin pass.

15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

And how would u get Rivers? He just signed a 4 year extension..............

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

with a no trade clause........

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The Texans are drafting a QB. The question is which one will fall to them. Goff and Lynch are top 10. Connor Cook will go probably between 10-20. FCS QBs have a BAD History in this league.....I wouldn't take Wentz before the 3rd round. Hackenberg may be the best option. Lets see how the combine and pro days go.

18. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Hack is a statue. He doesn't have the footwork or feel to slide around in the pocket.

19. Nook

Nook Member

He cannot quickly read a defense and scan the field.... Which means he isn't very good.

20. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I didn't get a chance to reply to some of your comments in the other thread so I'll do so here.

Others have brought this up, but O'Brien also got the best out of Hoyer and Fitzpatrick. It doesn't mean they aren't mediocre QBs. In light of how QB have performed under O'Brien in Houston, Hackenberg having his best season under OB at Penn State means nothing to me. If what OB's done with the Texans is any indication, it could just be that he got a decent season out of a mediocre QB at Penn State.

I mean, Matt McGloin's senior season under O'Brien was miles better than anything Hackenberg did, with or without O'Brien. But it's not like McGloin's a great NFL QB. So Hack having his best season as under OB means nothing to me. O'Brien's a good coach. He gets more out of his QBs than others do. But that doesn't make them good QBs.

Personally, I want to see what O'Brien could do with a QB that's already been impressive, but it's not like we'll really get the chance in this draft.

So, again. "Potential"! "Tools"! But poor production and poor technique. He's somewhat of a project and I maintain that you don't take project QBs in the first round.

OK, I know Penn State had issues, but QBs still have to face pressure in the NFL. Throwing a pretty ball "while not under duress" doesn't impress me and it doesn't alleviate questions about whether he'll be able to perform in the NFL.

This is probably the dumbest thing you've said in defense of Hackenberg. So because O'Brien coached him for one season 2 years ago, we don't need to scout him?

Regardless of how much OB might like Hackenberg, the dumbest thing he could possibly do would be to draft him, over other QBs or over another position, simply because he's already more familiar with him. Even if you like him, you have to evaluate him against other QBs and make sure you're not leaving somebody better on the board.

And A LOT can happen in two years. Whether it's true or not, a lot of us believe David Carr was ruined by playing behind an awful expansion OLine his first couple of years. Who's to say the same hasn't been happening to Hackenberg under Franklin? Besides the other difficulties Penn State had, is Hackenberg even the same player O'Brien coached? Has he regressed? How much? Can he be redeemed and how hard will it be for him to recover from what's happened the last 2 years? These are questions that need to be answered. And saying "OB coached him 2 years ago and liked him then so we don't need to scout him" ain't gonna cut it.

Two years ago he was living off his recruiting hype and people were projecting his progress during his college career. But that didn't actually happen. Through little fault of his own, his progress stagnated and he probably even regressed somewhat. After his junior year, he's not at the level people thought he'd be. We need stop pretending like that doesn't matter. He is not the elite prospect people expected him to be and we can't treat him like such simply because he was a top HS recruit and had a decent (yes, decent, not great) season as a freshman.

-----------------------------------------------------

I don't think there's any way Hack goes in the first round unless the Texans reach for him. No other team would draft him that high. The only reason the Texans might is because of the O'Brien connection. O'Brien may indeed like him, but he's not an idiot. I don't think he's going to drastically overdraft him by taking him in the first round. 2nd round? Maybe. If we do take him, I'd prefer it to be in the 3rd or not at all. I could stomach taking him in the 2nd.

OB spending a first rounder on Hackenberg could ultimately be a fireable offense. There's been a lot said in OB's first two drafts how he didn't want to tie himself to a QB where if he failed, he'd drag O'Brien down with him. Well, if it turns out that we shunned drafting a QB for two years just so OB could draft Hack in the 1st, if Hackenberg fails, if it turns out that we severely overdrafted a bust simply because OB had a previous connection with him, then that could be the anchor that drags O'Brien down.

For all the talk about OB attaching himself to a QB, there's no QB he could be tied to great than Hackenberg. If Hack fails, O'Brien fails. Especially if he's a first round pick when seemingly no other team would be interested in taking him that high.

If we take Hack in the first, I think there's more pressure on O'Brien for him to succeed than if we took somebody like Cook or Wentz.

Let's face it, this is a guy who's going to get drafted simply because he has tools and prototypical size and very little because of anything he actually did on the field. He's a huge question mark. While he has certain traits than might make you be optimistic, there's little he's done actually playing the game to warrant expectations that he has a good chance of succeeding in the NFL. He might. He certainly has tools. But tools don't get you in the first round. Tom Savage has tools. Logan Thomas has tools. Cardale Jones has tools. JaMarcus Russell had tools. Ryan Freakin' Mallett has tools. It's doesn't mean anything unless you know how to use them and can demonstrate that. Whether his fault or not, Hack hasn't demonstrated that.

#20 Cannonball, Jan 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.