1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cheating Scam

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by NewRoxFan, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Douche bag

Rocket River

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Eh, Dre went through the front door by donating a bunch of money instead of cheating and bribing.

Though honestly, I think it is quite possible his daughter was considered without any thought to his donation. But, no one would believe him if he insisted it was so.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

The kids of doctors are usually somewhat smart. She would have probably got in regardless of her dad's donation.

4. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

He broke no laws and did what it commonly done by those with bread. He shoulda left it up.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Is USC really considered a prestigious school??? I always thought it was just a party school and the admissions were about on par with other top state schools like UT. In other words, not really a hurdle to get in to for anyone who belongs in college.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You think because USC isn’t an Ivy League school it won’t have way more applicants than spots available. UT is also in the indictment, fwiw, UCLA, U of San Diego.

Anyhoot: I think it’s as much about which schools did the “mastermind” Singer penetrate by finding coaches/admins to bribe, and finding clients to match, as it is about him being able to help you cheat on SAT/ACT.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Well, hard to separate that confounding variable in this case. As for those who donate millions explicitly for the purpose of gaining their kid admission... sure it is kind of unfair, but if the college can use these millions for the benefit of students with lesser means, maybe it's a win-win. Can't be said about this "side door" bribery scheme.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

You have to be in the top 10% of kids to get into USC or UT, on average. By definition, that would mean 89% of kids can't get in.

9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

You wouldnt get in with that math.

Nook, Invisible Fan, ROCKSS and 4 others like this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Buying your way in at huge, competitive donation levels for the institutional benefit of essentially fundraising to improve services for all seems fine, but it actually could be against fundraising policy for public institutions. State or Federal oversight of USC or UT might prevent such stipulations or promises attached to donations...who knows.

I don’t know.

But it could be tricky, whereas private schools like Harvard, Rice, Devry, Yale, Phoenix, Culinary Institute of the Arts might not have same problem.

Hell, I bet parents can pay Tilman to get their kids admitted into the Rockets Summer League Development Camp this year, too. Maybe even the Fall Bahamas Camp, with the A Team.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Exactly .. had to brag .. . and boom he put a spot light on his Daughter and no matter what her credentials no one is beleiving them
    or at least think they suspect.

Rocket River

Nook likes this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

As Americans . .. .we are IMO . . . .far too comfortable with the idea that you can
    BUY YOUR WAY IN . . .or OUT of anything

We believe and endorse privilege . .. esp when it is backed by money
    We are definitely in the time of. . . SOME PEOPLE ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS

Rocket River

13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

You should probably consider posting a couple more words after the dbag comment or at least add the person you're directing it to.

This doesn't look right, lol.

KingCheetah likes this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was targetting "Dr. Dre"

Rocket River

Os Trigonum likes this.
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It's not a crime just funny that he didn't think through that post before hitting submit.

Rocket River likes this.
  16. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

This isn't something unique to the US.

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

18. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I'm not arguing the logic of his argument, but I'm having a hard time believing that the commentator is not doing an act. Has no one watched Law and Order? There were like 20 seasons right? I mean, that's like my main exposure to how DA's act, and though fictional, you would think this strategy of trying to force a deal is so well known. It's like creating controversy when it should have been discussed 20 years ago. I just don't believe this Bob Murphy person has never seen DA's act this before. I mean, I assume they act this way all the time. Similarly, I actually think Plea Bargains are a perversion of justice, but they're done for practical reasons and have been part of the justice system forever. But I'm not going to be like "oh my, can you believe that instead of facing the penalty of the crime committed, the state allowed the defendant to admit guilt to a lesser crime and serve less time?!? How is that is justice?!?"

Invisible Fan and CometsWin like this.
  19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I would just say the plea bargain system has gotten to the point where a guilty plea is hardly an admission of guilt in my mind, given how much more a prosecutor can threaten people (or their family members) with.

jcf likes this.
  20. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Doesn't sound like Lori is friends with Kim Foxx or the Obama's. Charges would have been dropped already.

King1 likes this.