1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cheating Scam

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by NewRoxFan, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

jcf likes this.
  2. PhiSlammaJamma

Fuller House should do an episode on this and I'd love to see their take.

BigM and dookiester like this.
  3. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

While wrong, it is real life. Parents want the best for their kids. In this case they used something they have boatloads of to "help" them. IMO, this thing is way overblown. $1,000,000 bond? There was a lady DUI kill a police and her bond was like 150k. Murderers don't get that unless they're serial killers.

And for some odd reason, my mind sees accepting the bribe is worse than offering the bribe.

4. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Serious questions. Do you realize that people actually do jail time for lying to get their kids in better schools (ie using a fake address, etc)? Do you realize one of the schools (UT) has had a case revolving around student admissions go all the way to the Supreme Court?

It’s not overblown at all.

Rocket River likes this.
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Jesus f****** christ, I am so glad I have three boys. Birthday? How about you and your buddies all go shoot the s*** out of each other with paintballs or drive go-karts?

Character ethic vs personality ethic. Sadly, personality wins in this country.

6. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

The media is having a field day because of the names involved. They should feel the pain - and they will - but this isn't a crime deserving of jailtime. I'm not sure it's worth the FBI involvement time.

This country has so many other serious issues that need to be addressed without wasting time ticketing jaywalkers.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I believe people are tired of rich people and white collar crimes being met with a slap on the wrist compared to some lengthy sentences being given out to people who are doing other types of crimes.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Manafort did worse
    so he should be the standard for all none violent crimes

Rocket River

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I agree, I'm surprised this is such an issue. Are the universities upset they are not receiving the bribes for the children that got into their college? I presumed that rich University donors were automatically getting their kids accepted. Meh

ArtV likes this.
  10. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Kraft did worse. His penalty is to take an education course on prostitution, complete 100 hours of community service, subject himself to an STD screening test and pay some court costs.

Rocket River likes this.
  11. Icehouse

Some of these schools are public universities that have had legal cases made for admittance and some of these kids were admitted under athletics they didn’t qualify for which impacts the NCAA. People have done jail time for lying to get access to public education. I’m surprised anyone is surprised that this is such an issue.

#131 Icehouse, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  12. Icehouse

13. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

What is funnier is the fathers who enable these little middle class and up wannabe narcissistic princesses.

14. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Is there a punishment for the kids? They know they cheated to get in.

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

They get kicked out of college, total waste of time. If they were adults when they participated they could be charged as adults. They might not be able to get into another, reputable school. They will have to take the REAL tests too, and if they couldn't do it the first time, it's JuCo for them (not that there's anything wrong with that)

For people like Olivia Jade and her sister, their career as a socialite is ruined.

The upside, for a very few, they learn the adult lesson that crime don't pay.

16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

17. Icehouse

The NBA is a private entity that can hire who they want. NCAA teams kinda aren’t the same. The NCAA has a plethora of rules on place regarding eligibility, kickbacks for players, etc. So do some of these public colleges. But hey, no big deal.

18. Buck Turgidson

The feds take mail and wire fraud pretty seriously, no matter the circumstances.

And hey, all Martha Steward did was a little minor insider trading...why were the feds wasting time with that?

Rocket River likes this.
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Whoops...
    _______

[​IMG]

Dr. Dre had earlier joked that his daughter had not bribed or scammed her way into the university, unlike other celebrity or executive children. But cynics pointed out that he was part of a $70 million donation to the school five years ago, along with partner Jimmy Iovine, to found an institute. Dre subsequently removed the Instagram post.

https://deadline.com/2019/03/dr-dre...ast-on-daughters-usc-admission-1202581549/amp/

Rocket River and BigM like this.
  20. PhiSlammaJamma

lol