1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cheating Scam

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by NewRoxFan, Mar 12, 2019.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Weird. Why would Lori Loughlin do this? She still hot too.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I always wondered how some unathletic kids got on a d1 basketball team.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This is similar scam to what Mike (as a rogue tester) did on Suits, but much larger scale....seems like clients could be any parents who want their kids to get into a elite school, and not so much about actual athletes.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...e-college-entrance-exam-cheating-plot-n982136

Prosecutors said the scheme was masterminded by William Rick Singer, the founder of a for-profit college preparation business based in Newport Beach, California.

Parents paid Singer between $15,000 and $75,000 per test for someone else to take the SAT or ACT exams in place of their college-aged sons or daughters, according to the court papers.

Singer facilitated the cheating by advising students to seek "extended time on the exams, including by having their children purport to have learning disabilities in order to obtain medical documentation that ACT," the indictment says.

Prosecutors said Singer used the cash to bribe two people who administered the exams — Igor Dvorsiky, of Los Angeles, and Lisa "Niki" Williams, of Houston.

Dvorsiky and Williams, in exchange for receiving the payments, allowed Mark Riddell, a Florida man hired by Singer, to secretly take the tests or to replace the children’s answers with his own, according to the indictment.

Riddell was paid roughly $10,000 per test, money that was often funneled through a charity account set up by Singer, the indictment says.

From 2011 to last month, parents paid Singer roughly $25 million to bribe coaches and university administrators to "designate their children as recruited athletes, or other favored admissions categories," according to the court papers.

In some cases, Singer’s associates created fake athletic “profiles” in an effort to improve the students chances of getting accepted by making them appear to be highly successful high school athletes.​

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Why not just write a big check to university. Isn't that how Trump got in?

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Let's be real. If you had the money you'd do anything for your stupid kids.

8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Aunt Becky has a bad streak. I bet shes a freak in the sheets too.

9. conquistador#11

Came here to make a "have mercy" post only to find out it was already done.
    Feeling of failure emerges.

Wasn't this the plot to a Riverdale episode? Not that I watch or anything...

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Generic title is generic.

11. heypartner

For real. One of the parents reportedly paid $6m. I mean, why not just call the president of the university and tell them honestly: “I’ll donate $6m to your university if you admit my Digby Jr, here, and another $3m next year if you take our sweet Arabella.”

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Tweets from the past...

13. SuraGotMadHops

You're in big trouble mister

[​IMG]

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Money is power. Deal with it, normies.

tinman likes this.
  15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The whole college admissions system is rife with problems.

ryan_98 likes this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This is yuuge.

We still in da Gilded Age. Green n Gold is all you need.

I hope they can successfully squeeze these ****os for plea deals into other rackets.

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Me thinks Hallmark Channel has some damage control to do.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Hip Hop culture was ahead of its time.

19. heypartner

Which ones do you think can be solved via FBI task forces making RICO arrests?

20. PhiSlammaJamma

I trust robots, not people, because I'm one of them. Most successful people fake their way through life, and I almost feel sad for those who believe that moving through it with integrity will get them ahead. What I think happens is that the BS artists are so good at what they do that they actually learn stuff along the way and end up becoming the subject matter experts they were never destined to become. I don't think it always catches up to you like it did here. Partly because if you do get fired or caught for example, you still likely came away with new skills to advance your next scam or become legitimate. Suspect many of these kids are actually intelligent because they absorbed information along the way. The whole application process is a game of thrones, at least it was in my day, and I suspect it's the same now.

Also the system is ripe for the poor to scam it too. You can easily work your way up the ladder by simply lying your way through it. Money helps. But you can definitely lay all kinds of groundwork to get into whatever school you want and whatever job you want. Holding it is harder, but opening the door is step one.

All that said, this why block chain could really hurt the scammers. You won't be able to cheat anymore in terms of your applications for anything, unless you master how to scam the blockchain at birth, which I'm quite sure someone will do.

#20 PhiSlammaJamma, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019