1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Charles Barkley tells story that explains his distaste for the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Apr 8, 2020.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh salary cap
    Oh salary cap
    The Rockets need to go below you
    Oh salary cap
    Oh salary cap

this song isn't new

https://www.chron.com/sports/rocket...ley-explains-distaste-for-Rockets-8323575.php

"I was so pissed. What had happened was I took a paycut so we could sign Scottie Pippen ... So they said, 'We need you to take a paycut so we can sign Scottie.' I said, 'OK, I would love to play with Scottie.' They said, 'We'll give you $12 million next year.' So when I showed up the next year, they bring me a contract. I said, 'This looks like an 8.' They said, 'Yeah, we're going to give you $8 million.' I said, 'What about the other $4 million?' They're like, 'Well, we just changed our mind.' So I wasn't motivated."

For the record, Barkley was paid $9 million for that last season with the Rockets, which is still well below the $12 million he says the Rockets promised him.

2. jim petersen84

les was a snake

robgue, BossHogg713 and tinman like this.
  3. tinman

Supporting Member

Barkley took a pay cut so we can go under the cap
    Never will this happen for any nba player

BossHogg713 and hajkov like this.
  4. DJ

DJ Member

Pippen and Les screwed Charles bad

tinman likes this.
  5. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Barkley screwed us bad by coming in fat. Pippen screwed us by coming out on TV and calling Barkley out for being fat and out of shape and saying he didn’t want to play with his “fat butt”. Hindsight being 20-20 Barkley should have never been a Rocket to begin with and certainly should have been traded instead of Quitten.

I never bought Barkley’s version of the story as David Stern would have punished us hardcore for having an under the table agreement with Charles. Look what he did to the Timberwolves with Milk Hair. Barkley openly saying his version certainly would have caused the NBA to investigate.

The team probably said they would take care of him but no official numbers were given and Barkley and his agent assumed the number would be $12 million.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

punish for under the table agreement? then half the league would get punished and to this day. nah

7. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

every once and awhile someone becomes a public "example" just to create a false illusion that things are regulated on a daily basis. doesn't mean it's a everyday occurrence. when in reality it isn't. and these days none of that is being stopped and all types of deals are made "under the table"

players league and its going to be that way going forward for a very long time

9. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Trade Barkley and keep Pippen? Nah, Pippen sucked as a Rocket, and had a bad attitude on top of that.

Red.Glare likes this.
  10. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Chuck must've told CP3 to take the max. :eek:

11. tinman

Supporting Member

But Barkley did take a $1 million dollar salary the previous year.
    Extremely obvious that was for salary cap.

And Peter Vescey on TNT back then did mention that deal.

Code:

Season                  Team         Lg   Salary
    1996-97      Houston Rockets        NBA  4695000
    1997-98      Houston Rockets        NBA  2250000
    1998-99      Houston Rockets        NBA  1000000
    1999-00      Houston Rockets        NBA  9000000
    Career              (may be incomplete) 43608000

Video evidence of Peter Vecsey talking about Barkley's contract "All he has to do is show up and get 14 million" (in his last season)
    Les paid him $9 million

Provided by Basketball-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 3/27/2020.