1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CFB Week 13

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Nov 22, 2017.

1. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

JR are you a Auburn fan or do you just love chaos?

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

I hate Alabama & love the chaos. :)

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Man, I love college football. Of course Auburn takes down Alabama just to make things more complicated.

The downside for me personally, however, is that I've found that I have very little patience for every college football studio show or podcast devoting tons of time to conversations like this:

What if Clemson beats South Carolina, but then Miami beats Clemson in the ACC title game and Georgia wallops Auburn in the SEC title game and Ohio State blows out Wisconsin in the Big Ten title game and TCU beats Oklahoma but looks terrible doing so. Does Miami get in?

For one, I've just never cared for the splitting hairs debates between resumes because it bores me, but beyond that, I also just think it's a fool's errand to try to guess what a bunch of humans who can't possibly watch every second of every game or have every piece of pertinent information are going to do in the end.

4. jdh008

jdh008 Member

This A&M/LSU game is going to have a fight break out before it's over. Tons of chirping on both sides, and every run up the middle ends with several players from each side joining the scrum late just to get some licks in.

5. solid

solid Contributing Member

I really don't want to see Alabama in the playoffs. If Wisconsin runs the table, they should be in it along with OK., Clemson, and Auburn, if they beat Georgia.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm with you and believe the Wisconsin/Ohio State matchup will determine if Alabama makes the CFP.

Go Badgers!

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Leach has a great take on the CFP committee. Worth a listen if you haven't already.

8. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Poor Alabama.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You say that, but they are still going to be in the playoff most likely because despite getting beat up by Auburn, Bama still won the SEC West and will be in the SEC championship and if they win that, they are in the playoff. Auburn has 2 losses so they have no path to the playoff because even if Bama lost the SEC championship, it would just put Georgia in instead.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Bama didn't win the SEC West & isn't going to the SEC Championship game.

It'll be Auburn v. Georgia.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

How is that the case? A 10-2 team over an 11-1 team? I could see Auburn winning the West if the two teams were tied, but that makes no sense. I checked and you are right that's what they are doing, but that seems pretty backwards. Why not just put LSU in since they beat Auburn?

12. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Auburn only has one conference loss. The other loss was to Clemson. Bama and Auburn tied atop the West standings at 7-1, and Auburn has the tiebreaker thanks to yesterday's win.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So that means that a 4 loss team could win the SEC over a one loss team if they won all of their conference games?

14. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Correct. Non-conference games matter to the playoff committee and to top 25 voters, but don't matter at all when it comes to crowning a conference champ.

15. Buck Turgidson

Uh...LSU has 2 SEC losses, Auburn has 1 SEC loss, Alabama has 1 SEC loss. Auburn beat Alabama. This isn't exactly rocket science.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's so weird and seems backwards.

17. Buck Turgidson

Colleges have total leeway when it comes to scheduling their non-conference games. You can see the problem with including those games when determining conference champs, right? They play their conference schedule on a set rotational basis.

You're trying to compare this to the NFL and it's just apples and oranges.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They should still count. If your system would allow an 8-4 team to beat out an 11-1 team, then you have a terrible system.

19. Buck Turgidson

Team A plays:

Little Sisters of the Poor
    Houston Baptist
    Louisiana Directional College #3

Team B plays 3 Power 5 Teams:

State School
    State School
    State School

Why would you punish Team B if they finished the season with the better record among common opponents (conference games)?

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And Team A loses to all of those teams while Team B beats all of those teams yet loses 1 game in conference to team A....so Team A ends up in the championship.

I mean, it goes both ways. Any system that rewards teams that lose more overall is a bad system. I think conference record is an excellent first or second tiebreaker, but not as the primary criteria for who wins the division.