1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CFB Playoff Rankings

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Oct 28, 2014.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Nah, that's dumb. Just put in the best teams. Checkout these final standings for 2012. I hated when an ACC team ranked in the 20's got a BCS game. Dumb.
    [​IMG]

Is Power 5 not just a marketing term? If your conference isn't good at any given time then deal with it.

J Sizzle and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

This was bound to happen eventually. Everyone could see it.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

5. Poloshirtbandit

#905 Poloshirtbandit, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Why are people so desperate for 2-3 loss teams having a chance to win the national championship? Did the Big 12 really deserve a playoff team this year? Is Western Michigan really somebody you want to see in the playoff?

4 teams is fine.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Oh no, here we go. @DonnyMost triggered. TV ratings post claiming people like to watch crappy teams incoming any moment now.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm good with 4 or 8 teams. IMO, it should stay at 4 for a long while.

The BCS was a step in the right direction and it served well until the argument for 4 teams became compelling and forced the NCAA to stop insulting our intelligence. There should be no expansion to 8 teams until it also becomes very obvious to most sensible people it's the right thing to do (and that may never happen).

The Group of 5 can do whatever they want. Who gives a care? I don't have any sympathy for them. The P5 conferences rule college football and always will. Wouldn't surprise me if the chatter is mostly a negotiating ploy to increase the CFP to 6 or 8 teams.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I did not realize I was the spokesman for all crappy teams. Perhaps I should ask for a raise. And a real title.

10. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I think there is good reason to have 8 teams now. This is the 1st year that a team that didn't win their conference makes it to the playoffs over the conference champion. That just doesn't make sense. You can also add the champion of all 5 major conferences and 2-3 wildcards.

[​IMG]

This would be a good product. I would probably kick out Wisconsin for the highest rated group of 5 team which would be undefeated Western Michigan.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  11. MystikArkitect

What school do you root for out of curiosity?

12. Newlin

Newlin Member

Most sensible people already feel that expanding the playoffs is the right thing to do.

Look at pretty much every sport amateur or pro. I can't think of any other sport that limits its playoffs to only four teams. It ridiculous. All the other divisions of college football already have a true playoff system, and it works great.

Why is this one division of college football so different from all other sports that it can't have a true playoff? The fans would absolutely love an 8 or 16 team playoff system. The money generated for the teams and potentially the players would be huge. The major bowls could even be incorporated into the playoffs. It's amazing that any football fan would be against this.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm just here rooting against the Big 12. That's it.

14. Major

Major Member

Because it's not always 2 or 3 loss teams. In 2014, you had six teams with 0 or 1 loss from major conferences and there were cases for all 6. You could very easily have the same this year if, for example, OU hadn't scheduled Ohio State out of conference or if Iowa had missed a field goal against Michigan.

If you believe 4 teams are truly better than the others, then what's the harm in playing the extra game? It just gives fans who want to watch 4 extra games. Those like you that think it's unimportant can just start watching in week 2 of the playoffs - nothing lost.

justtxyank likes this.
  15. MystikArkitect

Why is top 6 not discussed like in the NFL? Top 2 get a bye and 3-6 play wild card.

Let G5 have their own playoff and winner gets ascended and worst team in geographical conference best suited to G5 winner gets relegated.

Like mixing NFL and EPL.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This is gonna sound trollish. I don't mean it to, because I love sports, generally, and follow college football. But for the 2nd straight year, I could not care less about the outcome of these games or who wins the championship.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Why is that you think? I definitely do not care about non-playoff games and also hate that they schedule games on December 31.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Not sure. But these games were awful, apparently. The Clemson game was on in background at bar...seemed wildly entertaining. Zzzzzz

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

10/31/2017
    25. Washington State
    24. Michigan State
    23. Memphis
    22. Arizona
    21. Stanford
    20. NC State
    19. LSU
    18. UCF
    17. USC
    16. Mississippi State
    15. Iowa State
    14. Auburn
    13. Virginia Tech
    12. Washington
    11. Oklahoma State
    10. Miami
    9. Wisconsin
    8. TCU
    7. Penn State
    6. Ohio State
    5. Oklahoma
    4. Clemson
    3. Notre Dame
    2. Alabama
    1. Georgia

20. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

In terms of the big 12,

Oklahoma is still in control of their own destiny since Alabama and Georgia will eventually play each other.
    I think the other Big 12 teams would all need some help even if they win out. Here is what they have left:

#5 OU:
    #11 Oklahoma St
    #8 TCU
    Big 12 Championship

#8 TCU:
    #5 Oklahoma
    Big 12 Championship

#11 Oklahoma ST:
    #5 OU
    #15 Iowa St
    Big 12 Championship

It's an exciting year to follow big 12 games but it's bad for the big 12's chances unless one of these teams can go undefeated from here on out. The only chance they get two 1 loss teams in the big 12 game would be if TCU and Oklahoma St go undefeated but they would need a few loses ahead of them to get in.

#920 Brando2101, Oct 31, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2017