1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Celtics not done, keep eye on Marc Gasol?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 5, 2017.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

daywalker02 likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Is Marc Gasol’s commitment to Grizzlies waning?

In the "for what it’s worth" file, Grizzlies center Marc Gasol suggested that he might be open to a change of scenery if the team doesn’t improve on its seven-year playoff run.

Hoopshype.com translated Gasol’s recent interview with a Spanish media outlet with the 7-footer saying: “I’m very ambitious and I’ve wanted Memphis to be a great franchise. We’ve grown a lot the last 6-7 years, but we have to keep growing. If this is not lined up, maybe we may have to revisit things.”

Gasol signed a five-year, $110 million maximum deal with the Grizzlies in 2015.

He was selected with the 48th overall pick by the Los Angeles Lakers in the 2007 draft. Marc Gasol's rights were sent to the Grizzlies in a 2008 deal that sent his brother Pau to the Lakers.

In nine seasons with the Grizzlies, Gasol has developed into one of the league's premier big men, winning NBA Defensive Player of the Year in 2013. He has three times been named an All-Star (2012, 2015 and 2017).

The Commercial Appeal is attempting to independently verify Gasol’s comments.​

Vivi likes this.
  3. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

You think Marc Gasol is a good fit for Boston?

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

jvg might not think so.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Gasol apparently forgot that Parsons is on his team and that they have legitimate shot at beating the Warriors this year.

6. what

what Member

The grizzlies are attempting to play a style that don't suit them. Most people like what Fizdale is doing with the team, but I am not one of them.
    Pera and his cronies cost the grizzlies 2 of the 3 best shots the grizzlies had to win a title when they traded Rudy for Tayshaun Prince.
    Tayshaun set this team back in a major way in 2012 and 2013. In 2014, the grizzlies had a hell of shot to win the title but a freak injury to conley threw those dreams all but out the window. If Heisley had not sold the team to pera, I think we would have had a real shot at a title.

gng was never the problem. it's pera who traded rudy and then signed parsons that is to blame. tony and Zach should still be on the team.

The grizzlies can't win a title without a top flight pf and we currently let the best one we had walk. So, yeah. I'm not a fan and I'm right there with gasol on this.

7. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I don't see the Celtics making this deal.

Danny Ainge is looking for a longterm superstar for his golden basket of picks, not a 33-year old center nearing decline. He's going to be targeting someone like Anthony Davis if the Pelicans experiment with Boogie fails and he leaves in free agency.

That's the godfather type offer Ainge is looking to make.

8. lionaire

lionaire Member

It'd be an old school style front court but both of those guys are such gifted passers and playmakers that I think it'd work just fine.

Vivi likes this.
  9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I just don't see Horford and Gasol being the kind of interior lineup that can "dominate" the Warriors. Or even have a matchup advantage. Draymond and the amount of illegal defense he is allowed to get away with has negated every interior force thrown at the Warriors the past three years. Once the league office signed off on making the Warriors' style indefensible and all their previously illegal tactics legal, that put the rest of the league on notice that slow and plodding was not going to cut it as a viable way to beat them.

The Celtics can try if they like; they certainly have fantastic coaching to attempt the same thing others have done, just executed better. But they would be stepping into Popovich's shadow in this regard. Do they really think they can do it better than the Spurs have done?

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, they can also shoot well so...the only thing i'm not sure is like ghettocheeze said a couple of posts above, Marc is starting to get old, not sure Ainge is willing to spend assets for him at this point...

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Horford/Gasol is pretty damn slow...