1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cardinals want a Rocket.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ryan17wagner, Feb 28, 2007.

1. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

JUPITER, Fla. — Described more as fanciful thinking than a realistic hope, the Cardinals recently told agents representing seven-time Cy Young Award winner Roger Clemens that they are interested should the 44-year-old expand his list of potential 2007 landing spots beyond Houston, New York and Boston.

General manager Walt Jocketty, assistant general manager John Mozeliak and vice president of player personnel Jerry Walker met at length Monday morning at a nearby coffee shop with one of Clemens' lead agents, Alan Hendricks, and two associates. Much of their two-hour meeting focused on Hendricks clients Braden Looper and Kip Wells, but Clemens was discussed.

"I guess you would always have interest in a guy like that," Jocketty said. "He's someone we've expressed interest in before. I'm not sure it would be mutual, though. There are so many factors involved it would be pretty tough to do any deal with them. You never know."

One club official played down the Cardinals' chances of landing Clemens to "1 million to 1."

Asked his opinion, pitching coach Dave Duncan said he had not been approached regarding Clemens and estimated the odds of pulling such a coup as "more like 2 million to 1."

In December, the Cardinals made an eleventh-hour push for free-agent lefthander Andy Pettitte, another Hendricks client, shortly before Pettitte signed a one-year contract to return to the New York Yankees.

The Cardinals also bid for Clemens before he signed as a free agent with the Houston Astros in 2004.

Jocketty, who has also put out trade feelers for starting pitching, acknowledged that he is intrigued by Clemens' availability while trying to suppress any irrational expectations.

A high-ranking club official unaware of Monday's meeting conceded the club "would have to be interested" if Clemens became available for bid.

The Cardinals retain significant financial flexibility after failed attempts to sign free agents Pettitte, Randy Wolf, Jason Schmidt, Miguel Batista and Jeff Weaver, Chairman Bill DeWitt Jr. said recently.

Clemens, a Houston resident, is believed to be leaning toward returning to the Astros should they appear competitive when he decides in May or June.

The Cardinals' best opportunity would rest with the Astros faltering early and Clemens reconsidering a return to either the Boston Red Sox or New York Yankees. A contending St. Louis club also would be a geographical fit for a player who last year was allowed to miss selected road series when not scheduled to pitch.

After contemplating retirement, Clemens last June re-signed with Houston. His contract was worth about $12 million, prorated over 19 starts that covered 113 1/3 innings.

Clemens was 38-18 in 84 starts with ERAs of 2.98, 1.87 and 2.30 the past three seasons. He completed only one start.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sp...E259F6C2F0FB8460862572900016E549?OpenDocument

2. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

Already Turned down

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4589830.html

KISSIMMEE, Fla. – On the same day reports out of St. Louis surfaced that the defending World Series champion Cardinals had interest in Roger Clemens, the future Hall of Famer’s agent made it clear the righthander isn’t interested.

Houston-based agent Randy Hendricks reiterated what Clemens said last week: If the seven-time Cy Young Award winner plays a 23rd season in the majors this year it will be with the Astros, Boston Red Sox or Yankees.

“Let me repeat: Houston, Boston, New York,” Hendricks said. “One of only three teams will be picked if he plays, and he hasn’t decided. I don’t know why they think they have to start the story over again.”

3. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

^^Good. I just cleaned the vomit off my keyboard after having a vision of Pujols and Rajah giving LaRussa an October champagne shower.

4. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

that's funny stuff...

5. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Wow . What a bunch of dumba**es , to even think he would consider them . :rolleyes:

6. Buck Turgidson

It's just Jocketty playing to the fans. No biggie. They did the same with Pettitte.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm surprised Roger was so quick to dismiss it.

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I posted it in the ST thread, but that paragraph is the most relevant part of the article.

9. kevwun

kevwun Member

Roger doesn't want to made Drayton mad because of the personal services contract. Signing with a division rival would make Drayton very mad.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Since Roger can get obscene amount of money and perks no matter where he plays, why in the world would he pick St. Louis? Of course he'd dismiss it quickly. Boston and NY covers his "I want to pitch on the big stage with everyone watching" craving. And Houston is his home. There's no reason for him to go anywhere else.