1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Clint Capela...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YaoMing#1, Nov 18, 2018.

?

20ppg?

1. Yes

64 vote(s)
    56.6%
  2. No

49 vote(s)
    43.4%
  1. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Become a 20ppg scorer on this team.

I say this team because he’s set up perfect for what he’s good at, playing alongside JH and CP3.

Which is using his elite athleticism hands and touch to finish around the hoop.

He’s getting consistent 32+ Mpg, so he’s full time starter level in that regard.

Over the last 4 games he’s avg 18.75 ppg so he’s awfully close.

He seems to be getting better and better every game on both sides his confidence is growing 20ppg might be a reach but he’s trending in the right direction theirs no question about that.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

As long as he stays focused. . .esp on offensive rebounding

Rocket River
    Be the ultimate garbage man on the boards

AroundTheWorld and RockingRox like this.
  3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If he works hard, Clint Capela can be Hakeem Olajuwon with athleticism.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

BAH GAWD THAT'S HOLIC'S MUSIC!

CourtOfDreams and hakeem94 like this.
  5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Nah. He doesn’t have a reliable post move or jump shot.

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Capela's scoring is purely dependent on how well teams know how to defend our basic PnR. Some teams have already scouted us enough that they pretty much take away the lob and the pass to Capela for the dunk. If Capela can't get the dunks, he only gets his points off scraps, random loose balls, rebounds and fast breaks. Those will never amount to 20 ppg.

If we played less experienced team like Sac every game, yea he will avreage like 25 a game. But teams like GS, Spurs, OKC even have scouted us enough that Capela doesn't just get easy dunks

7. xaos

xaos Member

Is that what this team needs?

8. Emtenndo

Emtenndo Member

He's getting better game by game, but I doubt he can average 20 ppg. Don't necessarily need that from him anyways, so it's all good.

9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

It's not up to him. It's upto what the defense gives and how much Harden & CP can feed him.

On his own, he is not going to be able to generate a lot of offense.

jboslett and heypartner like this.
  10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm going to say no … two things hold him back.

FT shooting. If he was making more of them , he'd be averaging that 20 number over the last 4 games the OP referenced.

The other issue isn't his fault , its just the system - He gets what he's given on the offensive end (other than put backs) , he's reliant upon the guards to get him shots.

Now I do think he can score from the post if need be as he's shown the ability to get his own shot on occasion even without a "signature move", he just doesn't get many post up opportunities , again because the system is guard driven.

I'm content with his averages now considering so much of the offensive production comes from the perimeter. I don't think there is a player in the league who fits this scheme better than Clint.

11. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Not this year but I think he will start to become a more and more relied on part of our offense as he gets better. Maybe next year or the year after. I think he’ll be the 3rd option for this team at some point as most of Hardens passes already go to capela as it is. Paul and him seem to be having a better connection too than last year especially during the last few games. He’s still young and in a few years could be an All-Star. Sadly the Center position is getting more and more stacked each year though so he’s going to need to keep improving at a high rate like last year.

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

I don’t think so, he doesn’t generate enough offense on his own...I mean, his career high for fga in a game is only 19

this year, 76% of his field goals have been assisted...last year, 82%

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Every season he starts slow because of putting muscle on in the offseason, and then proceeds to serve crow the rest of the season.

He will be able to hit 3's and FT's better next season as well as be a decent passer and expert on the system, so yes, I think he can get to 20 especially as Harden and Paul increasingly seek his help while they age. Will make his contract look like a bargain.

His greatest quality is that his points are team-oriented or assisted. Dozens of C's can't do what he's doing next to a superstar. People think he can only do this here, but in reality he can now do this with any guard/wing superstar. Imagine him starting for the Hornets or Raptors? Would still be a monster. We're not forcing anything.

He has plenty of capacity. Capela/Tucker/Clark is a fantastic 4/5 rotation, then just need a young 5 who can provide a spark. Hartenstein is working his a$$ off, hopefully it pays off.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

All his scoring depends on harden and Paul that’s where he gets his points.
    70% prob from Harden and 20 from Chris and I’ll say 5 from other guys and 5% by himself.
    When Harden gets shut down , when he shuts himself down or when they defend well the pnr capelas score suffers.

So yea he can avg 20 ppg if Harden looks for him more and he goes strong to the basket instead of soft or if he goes strong so that smaller players don’t block him or strip him.

And he should stay away from trying to create on his own coz that just creates turnovers.

15. PeppermintCandy

Capela mostly dominates against teams with small frontcourts, as he should. (Example: Kings) If the opposing team can't prevent those lob passes, he's going to go for 17 or 18 points.

With bigger and more experienced frontcourts, the offense moves way from setting him up for lobs and dunks and instead looks to attack in other ways, again as it should. Even then, he's a double double threat every game.

CC averaged near 14 points last season. If he can maintain an average of 15 ppg, he'll be doing a great job, IMO.

Red Chocolate likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

20 ppg would be a milestone, but it isn't paramount.

If he creates some sort of shot for himself, look for 22-23 ppg.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I doubt he ever averages even 15 PPG for an entire season.

If our ball handlers made a point to do so, Clint could easily average 20PPG, but that would be completely ignoring trying to win and running our best offense possible.

Clint is an offensive dunk option, not a scorer. Whenever Clint starts getting too many lobs he will get doubled and our shooters will get the ball, that's why Clint's scoring is erratic (25PTS one day, 5 PTS the next), it's entirely up to the opposing defensive system.

Red Chocolate and heypartner like this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

can we expect he tries that spin move more often?

seeingred likes this.
  19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

No. Only 15-20 players a year avg 20+, like 4% of the league (or 15% of starters over 30 min/g). IF he does it'd be like a Nicola Vucevic, putting up lots of shots with medium efficiency.

Andrew Bynum for comparison, his best season was at 18.7 pts at 13 shots/g. Clint would need to average 2 more minutes with 15 shots/gm. (4 more than currently) Not entirely impossible. But its like the Eric Gordon suggestions he should be a 20 ppg guy like Klay Thompson. Just wasnt gonna materialize like that.

20. High Vibrationz

Fck no ,hakeem had more moves than michael jackson,capela is limited all he do is catch lobs ,put backs ,and thats it ,hakeem was a low post scoring machine,thats straight blaspheme ,capela is more like DJ than anything else.