1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

California is Burning

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Oct 10, 2017.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Probably first responders helping clear the lanes for the dump.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I keep telling people this. Texas is due for a severe drought.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

So what is the weather report for Paradise,

Today you can expect fire and explosions. It's about 1800 degress above the average temperature for this time of year. Things are a little bit on the crispy side compared to yesterday, with humidity at about 0%. And don't forget to, run!

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As sports chair for my Cal Alumni group we're organizing a fundraiser with our local Stanford Alumni group around the Cal Stanford Big Game to benefit the victims of these fires. We're planning on sending our donations to this organization. For anyone that wants to help this looks like a good group to donate to.
    https://www.calfund.org/norcal-wildfire-relief/

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

fwiw: This dude is a friend of CP3's, came to it via the GARM. Those planes fly awfully low.

KingCheetah likes this.
  6. theimpossibles1

You should probably take a break.

7. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Paradise, CA burned so much because the town has way above-average for most density of trees which made it to go through so easily. If they cut more trees to the recommended average they could of salvage the town and save lives. We will never get to CA level because they are low humidity, dry and Texas always have fronts passing by.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

1. Yeah, no.
    2. What’s the recommended average?
    3. You’ve already been there and will be again.

KingCheetah likes this.
  10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Interesting point in an LA Times editorial I read yesterday, and echoing some local NPR talking heads over the last several days: while politicians want to talk climate change or forrest management, the central problem is letting people develop communities in the boundaries of forrest lands. People love "living in nature," but it can be a super bad idea.

Surfguy likes this.
  11. PatBev

PatBev Member

Either the government ****ing around with stuff or God finally punishing Hollywood for years of pedophilia and worshiping the devil

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I can't believe this fire moved 8 football fields per minute. It seems like you had a very brief window to get out. It's just awful. If removing trees around a community (or deforestation if you will) is one way to stop a forest fire from consuming a community, then it should be done versus having the whole community go up in flames. This is as bad as it gets for those affected. Just horrible.

B-Bob likes this.
  13. theimpossibles1

Or maybe you watch too many conspiracy videos.

14. PatBev

PatBev Member

[​IMG]

15. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That was 80 football fields per minute. It has looked like the smoking section at restaurant out here for the past week.

"A Northern California fire is growing at a rate of about 80 football fields per minute"
    https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/11/08/us/california-camp-fire-hospital-evacuation/index.html

16. alethios

alethios Member

I live in SLO County, and I feel blessed every day there's not a fire near here. One of my co-workers used to live in Paradise, but like you, he experienced the 2008 fire. They were fortunate because the river was full and there was a fire break that kept it from jumping up the canyon wall. That was his signal to move back here. It is (was) a beautiful location, nestled in the trees, but the heavy price they are paying now is partly due to higher than expected population growth with no changes in evacuation routes or contingency plans. So many have lost their lives trying to flee the fire only to be caught in it with no escape. I'm so heartbroken over their loss, especially seeing the drone videos of the devastation. I'm tearing up just thinking about it. Prayers to everyone who is affected by this and other fires. :(

No Worries, rimrocker and B-Bob like this.
  17. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Fire follows fuels and topography, but wind drives fires. When wind lines up with topography and fuels, watch out. That's roughly a square mile every 8 minutes. Assuming 6 hours of intense burning, it's about 28,000 acres. Fast, but not the fastest. For instance, the Wallow Fire in AZ burned the following acreage over the course of seven days:
    Of course, that was at the height of fire season in AZ and this was November in NorCal.

The thing about wind-driven fires though, is that it is rarely a flaming front advancing uniformly. Lots of embers get thrown ahead of the main fire so you end up with a bunch of "fire fronts" and you can have fire in front of you and behind you and to the side of you. If you get in a situation like that, sometimes the best option is counter-intuitive. Not good for firefighters, really not good for the general public.

alethios, ROXTXIA, No Worries and 3 others like this.
  18. B-Bob

The Bay Area is freaking out now, full on. I was at a hardware store to, you know, buy actual hardware, and all these people were trying to buy the masks. Air quality has deteriorated rapidly, well past any comparison to Beijing. It's almost (not quite) like a post-9/11 type air here now. Mrs. B-Bob and I can't even see a few blocks away. Just sheltering in place.

Check the particulate matter readings.

God bless the fire fighters.

Joshfast, alethios and KingCheetah like this.
  19. cur.ve

cur.ve Contributing Member

A friend took these two photos of San Francisco. One was from last week. The other one is from today. Schools are closed tomorrow and it's pretty bad to even be outside for a few minutes. :(

[​IMG]

alethios, B-Bob and KingCheetah like this.
  20. B-Bob

Millions of lives affected, dozens killed, by one bad day for a couple of PG&E employees. Unreal.