1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bye Net Neutrality

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by wizkid83, Nov 21, 2017.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Sorry ISP supporters, just seemed like bad timing for this ISP... not just winter, but also just after getting out from under NN. And sure, while piracy isn't legal, the question about how they will know, and also the connection to internet-attached thermostats use. The other question... will ISPs continue to look for ways to screw consumers who will have less and less recourse.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

They will know about piracy the same way they have in the past; When the goons for the content holders report them for pirating.

Thermostats have nothing to do with the article. Thats why its a click-bait garbage article. What the ISP is saying is any remote controlled device, whether its a thermostat, security cams, security alarms, remote desktop, or the thousands of other things people may use for remote access could have a detrimental effect.

3. NewRoxFan

Lucky they don't start jacking up prices... Oh wait...

http://www.pcgamer.com/comcast-and-other-isps-in-the-us-are-planning-rate-hikes-for-2018/

Deckard likes this.
  4. Space Ghost

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My prices for the internet don't go up every year. The went up once in 5 years for me, until I changed my service 2 years ago. They haven't gone up since but may be going now. Maybe other plans from other ISP providers increase every year, but I hadn't heard about that.

6. Space Ghost

What you are saying is since your prices haven't gone up, they do not go up for anyone. And if they do, its because of NN.

I can tell you prices do go up.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not quite. I specifically said that they might be going up for others every year, but I hadn't heard about it.

I guess it has been somewhere in the middle. They have gone up for some but not for everyone. If that changes and they start going up for everyone because of NN, then I think that's a fair criticism of NN.

8. Space Ghost

NN has no bearing on base price of the internet. It was not a violation to raise .. or lower prices.

Again, if you want to start an ISP b****ing thread, feel free to. Stop associating everything you dislike about your ISP to NN.

9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Title 2 does though. Section 201:

'All charges, practices, classifications, and regulations for and in connection with such communication service, shall be just and reasonable, and any such charge, practice, classification, or regulation that is unjust or unreasonable is hereby declared to be unlawful'

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. tallanvor

over 30? so some 60+ senators disagreed? and why is 30 'magic' to this guy? does he actually think the senate will pass net neutrality?

The new FCC administration has not been implementing Net Neutrality at all. they ignored zero-rating decision passed down by Tom Wheeler. This means net neutrality in reality has not been around for over a year. Some how the internet is perfectly fine......

Also, not only has it not been around a year, but it blocked nothing during the year it was around. Net neutrality has never stopped a single ISP act, yet some how the internet is totally doomed without it.

#471 tallanvor, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  12. NewRoxFan

Get this... AT&T wants congress to pass Net Neutrality. Ok, before you say, "See, they are trying to satisfy consumers"... it appears that when trump's fcc ended NN, a number of states started to establish their own Net Neutrality laws. Ruh roh said AT&T. They say they wanted a legislative NN all along, and how it will be better for consumers to have a single consistent NN... but my guess is they think that the current fcc and congress will set a much more ISP friendly set of rules.

AT&T wants Congress to pass a net neutrality law
    http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/24/technology/business/att-net-neutrality/index.html

B-Bob and No Worries like this.
  13. NewRoxFan

14. tallanvor

Most big ISPs do. The issue they had a problem with was mostly Title 2 which gave the FCC full control over pricing, speeds, and everything offered by the ISPs. This is the FCC's biggest issue as well. This was Mark Cuban's position too 'don't create a department of the internet'. That said, I find it weird AT&T wants net neutrality as they do zero rating for DTV NOW which is a violation of net neutrality.

Also states doing net neutrality themselves (they aren't really). Would be an argument for stopping the federal government doing it everywhere. Let states decide.

15. NewRoxFan

Despite the FCC adding a provision to ban states from doing their own Net Neutrality laws...
    NY: https://www.cnet.com/news/net-neutr...-governor-andrew-cuomo-signs-executive-order/
    Montana: http://fortune.com/2018/01/23/montana-net-neutrality-executive-order/

16. NewRoxFan

Apparently Verizon didn't get the memo that removing Net Nuetrality would spark additional investment...

Joshfast and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. NewRoxFan

That whole AT&T wants Net Neutrality for the public good idea? FCC Pai says blocked tweets and app stores rejecting apps is a bigger threat to open internet than ISPs throttling and blocking...

AT&T CEO’s net neutrality plan calls for regulation of websites
    AT&T also wants to make sure net neutrality law won’t be too strict.
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...rality-plan-calls-for-regulation-of-websites/

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Checkout 2:47 in the vid, for the hard troll.

Odds of me eating a whopper this weekend before seeing this video: .1%.
    Odds of me eating a whopper this weekend after seeing this video: 50%.
    This is marketing genius.

B-Bob and mdrowe00 like this.
  19. NewRoxFan

20. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

what a rebel