1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buyout targets ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I wanted Markieff Morris for the "talent upgrade" but perhaps the "role/fit" isn't as good as it could be. He is a small ball 5. But can he switch at backup PF? That would be a concern. Still it is a KILLER that OKC/rival (who is paying the LT) got him. It is a BAD look juxtapose the Rockets

Yup, I see my tweet was posted here regarding Wilson Chandler. He is hurt now but should be back in a week. LAC probably would do a buyout on him. I have my doubts LAC would buyout Green/Temple. Their bird rights might mean something to LAC.

Wilson Chandler has been linked to the Rockets in the past. He can play some backup PF for them and probably is more capable in switching than Morris. Also Wilson might be ok with taking a backseat in minutes for House. That might not be something Morris would want. So there is a "chemistry" angle here.

@Codman, you hear anything on Wilson Chandler as a buyout target for the Rockets?

2. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

No, not an answer but when you have very little to pick from I would look at someone to help with the regular season. Whoever they pick will most likely not see the playoffs very much with Mikes very short playoff rotation. But if you can help solidify the depth for the regular season for 3 or 4 seed I'd say do it.

tc0330 likes this.
  3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Wilson Chandler would be a nice body to target, although he’s regressed quite a bit. It’s fair to argue House might be the better player and fit at this point.

I’d still take him, though.

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

From "pick of buyouts" to scraping the bottom for once serviceable players.

LOL. I wonder if Jeff Luhnow is interested in basketball?

TheRealist137, cheke64 and izeroi like this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah I mean, Chandler is just ok. But he is 6'9" He can hit 3's to space the floor and is a veteran. Was MDA in NY when WC was there? I can't remember.

Chandler also probably has the attitude with being ok giving up minutes to House at backup PF if warranted. Not sure Markieff would be ok with that.

It is not some SPLASH addition. But he COULD help this team. I would rather him be out there than Gerald Green playing backup "PF" against these bigger dudes.

D-rock, carib, baller4life315 and 2 others like this.
  6. MC31B

MC31B Member

As good as he is still on offense I'm sure he is worse on defense. A 37 year old that has always "really loved his burger and fries" is not going to be able to stop some guy who can bench 300, squat 400 and has a 5% bf percentage. If he kept himself like Kevin Willis then ok but he didn't.

D-rock and malakas like this.
  7. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

You can say the same thing about Wilson Chandler. Just never seemed in shape to me his entire career. Never lost the baby fat. Has regressed badly and wasn’t playing that well in Philly. Wasn’t surprised they traded him, but beggars can’t be choosers. The Rockets will not have their pick of free agents like they said before. It will be the scrapings at the bottom of barrel. It is what it is.......

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

For Philly, Wilson Chandler was "starting" and played 26 minutes a nite. He was averaging around 7pts, 5 rebounds and shooting 39% from 3.

On the Rockets, he would be coming off the bench and playing less minutes. He would be playing against backups. 7pts, 5rbs and 39% 3pt shooting off the bench is decent enough.

Again, this is not some big splash. But he could be a serviceable addition.

D-rock, carib, baller4life315 and 7 others like this.
  9. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Yes, we’re not going to get the greatest buyout out there. Whoever is left we have to get what we can get and be satisfied with it if it helps even a little.

10. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Mo speights anyone

11. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

bring back Chuck Hayes

12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Donatas Motiejunas?

joshuaao, mockster and jb86 like this.
  13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

we need a codman bomb.

14. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

Codman is the biggest troll on this board. He was just a regular fan like the rest of us just a few years ago, and then suddenly became an “insider.” The only real insiders are Doc, Popeye, Cyber - because Clutch confirmed it. The “character” that Cod has developed over the years has evolved into him being a sickly old man with “ears.” Now, ask yourself - why would a person who doesn’t work for the league have so many people call him to tell him about rumors. Is he a reporter? He certainly doesn’t paint himself as such. Anyway...

jball461 likes this.
  15. mockster

mockster Member

16. malakas

malakas Member

If you don't believe him that's alright but why did you bring up his disease and his age? Insinuating that this is a fake character he has developed..?

D-rock and hibbetts like this.
  17. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

Yes. I am insinuating that it’s a fake character that he’s developed. Everything about his character is made up. He’s trying to be like Popeye, who actually did have health problems.

Look back on his posts prior to his evolution into “insider.” He was just a regular fan posting his normal fan opinions, until one day - he became an insider.

18. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

Is Eddie Johnson keeping in shape?

The Jimmer idea is intriguing. He would not be asked to create. As D'Antoni says, he would be asked to spot up in the flow of the offense.
    If he could figure out his role he could be our little mini JJ Reddick.

With Kanter and Kieff gone what is left for Houston? (Chandler, Dedmon, JGreen)

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

If @Codamn is fake I would admire him even more

Smacktle likes this.
  20. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Next up...10 day contract g-leaguers...