1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Buyout targets ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Jan 25, 2019.

1. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Anyone know anything about the Chinese league??? It’s pretty slim pickings over here.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

mwahahahaha still no buyout! Tilman ain't gonna spend his luxury tax savings on players.

riko likes this.
  3. tw2519

tw2519 New Member

I heard a rumor that Shabazz Muhammad would head to rockets after his season in China. Not sure if that is true

4. MC31B

MC31B Member

They have to sign someone.... Somewhere out in the ether, there is a 6'8 or taller guy who plays defense and can shoot. Cam Reynolds?

5. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

As of now there’s no player on the buyout market that intrigues Houston. I think Morris was the guy they were targeting but of course he goes to OKC (small market) who after paying PG13, Westbrook, Adams, Roberson, Grant, and signing Brewer still have the money and capability to snag Morris.
    Meanwhile DM and Tilman are out here penny pinching trying to find a guy who will play for free because god forbid he gets a minimum contract and they have to pay lux tax.

6. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Dont we have to fill up out roster?

7. SRR21

SRR21 Member

Deuce and D-rock like this.
  8. rockets13champs

JaMychal would be a better add than Markeiff but I highly doubt he gets cut

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think realistically, we need to start looking for anyone who can give us 10 minutes at PF where their net rating holds up.

I think the most likely candidate is Gary Clark. His future is at PF and he has experience with the team. The big issue with him is he either can't or doesn't attack the rim, and his 3pt% is not good enough to carry that. He's been hitting 37.5% of 6 3pa, and the repetition should strengthen that shot. His rebounding has been mediocre so far, but one interesting thing is his passing has been very very good in 4 games. Maybe he will be ready to help out for 10 minutes soon enough.

I've been combing through the G League and I think Vitto Brown of the Maine Red Claws could be an option too. He's 6'8, 235 lbs with a 7'3 wingspan, good rebounder, hits 37.7% of 6.3 3 point attempts. Never drafter, never played in the NBA, career trending upwards in all the right categories and that's an excellent physical profile (extremely athletic).

Morey really needs to start thinking outside the box. Even Danuel House is unlikely to solve the backup PF problem, we can't NOT have the tactical option of not being undersized. That's a death wish, other coaches will murder it.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

JaGreen is better fit than Queef for Rockets but what if LMAM is who the Clippers cut instead?

baller4life315, HP3 and ApacheWarrior like this.
  11. eman

eman Contributing Member

Perhaps out of sheer desperation, or a cluster of injuries, MDA will try the Capela/Manimal experiment. I'd like to see if our old guys can run and gun off the CC/Manimal rebounding and hustle.

12. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Zach Randolf can probably still put up 10ppg- 9rpg off the bench, would give tucker alot of rest. I dont see why not, and there was a time Marin Gortat was coveted here, why not bring him in because rockets will need some big bodies come playoff time. I bet you could sign both and still be under the luxury threshold.

13. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

I wonder why Zach Randolph isn't looked at. He played pretty well last year and they shut him down for the younger players this seasom but he could still get you rebounds and some points in the regular season and possibly the first couple of rounds at 10 minutes. Wonder if Rockets have any interest? He doesn't fit the switching on everything but when you keep getting out rebounded by 10 plus nightly, I don't think that matters. Plus I've always wanted him on our team. Guy is the epitome of grit and hustle.

14. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I don't see it. Rockets don't need more scoring off the bench, they need defense, and the kind of defense that includes rebounds, and that guy should be a power forward. Yes, Randolph is a historically good rebounder, but even in his best years he was slow. If Faried is a full time center, there's no doubt in my mind Randolph is a center in rockets system. Just doesn't fit.

15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Any of those guys on the Clippers would be useful.

Would be kind of funny if we were able to land JaMychal Green via buyout after nearly surrendering a FRP for him.

aroundtheblock2 likes this.
  16. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Went to China few times. Watched CBA on TV for few min. They hardly play any defense. Competition level is lower than NCAA tournament.

BarkleyHater84 likes this.
  17. vick

vick Member

Anderson, Brewer, or .Melo.Ha ha, There is a reason nobody wants them. They SUCK.

18. crenshaw

crenshaw Member

I think we should give up on speculating who can we sign. It may not matter because mike's rotation is set, which becomes shorter come playoff time. Chances are they wont be used much. We all know how stubborn mike is, and will ride and die with his main guys beard cp3 eg tuck (clint or manimal depending on the matchup and game situation). Everyone else i suspect will get minimal action, unless green or rivers gets hot.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  19. tc0330

tc0330 Member

bro. randolph is 37 years old. brotha is older than nene. you think his old medicare havin ass is really the answer to our problems? lol c'mon man

20. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Toronto also has a few roster positions to fill. I'm not too optimistic in terms of adding contributors off the buyout list.