1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buc release CB Hargreaves [Update: Claimed by Texans]

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaDakota, Nov 12, 2019.

1. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

You'd have lack of hustle too when you're dead tired... When the defense sits down, Jamesis throws a pick seconds later... The defense playing with their tongues hanging out!

2. raining threes

It's been explained to you that all they are missing next year is their 1st rd pick. The comp 3rd replaces their 3rd and they are most likely going to get two comp 3rds and Miami's 4th in addition to their 4th. It's really simple dude they have a pick in every rd next yr but the 3rd. In some rds they will have multiple picks. They dont have an issue of having no picks.

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Didn't say it was simple to understand. Said they didn't trade a "ton" of picks.

4. raining threes

I said it's simple to understand.

I'm in agreement with you on this one.

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You know why players matter more than Picks? 2016 draft class where 4 of the 5 CBs from that class are on different team than the one that drafted them. Trades and Lack of performance. If you can get a young proven player in a trade and not do the crap shoot that is the draft, you do it.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This is false. They do not have their first round pick as well lol. So they are missing their FIRST and 3rd round pick. How is this "They have a pick in every rd next year." They do not. Period.

Who said they would have NO picks?

Oh, I'm not arguing that, in fact I'd even agree. I'm just saying, CB is a need and since they can't just draft them in high rounds they have to take flyers on guys like Conley and Hargreaves.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

There's only a tiny chance he'll be worth $9 million. Even if he plays decent that's too much.

The downside is he gets hurt and that money gets guaranteed.

8. Mr. Clutch

They are missing 1,3 and 6 next year. (And they actually traded two third round picks, one from the stupid clowney trade)

They are missing 1 and 2 in 2021.

Yeah that's a lot.

Getting a 4th and 6th back does not make up for it.

They would have had compensatory picks anyway so not sure why that gets brought up. And they lost a compensatory pick trading clowney away

Nook and JayGoogle like this.
  9. raining threes

They will have a pick in every rd. They're getting one comp 3rd, possibly two comp 3rds.

They traded for Conley and picked up Hargreaves, both former first rd picks because they had talent at a position of need. Not because they didn't have a 1st rd pick. BTW, if they want a 1st rd pick they could trade a their 2nd, a comp 3rd amd Miami's 4th to get into the bottom of the 1st and still have another comp 3rd and their 4th.

#69 raining threes, Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You hate all things Bill O’Brien. So, we know you at things from that point of view.

11. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t expect both Hargreaves AND Conley to become shutdown corners but if they become really productive (above-above average), then we really didn’t trade away anything. It’s actually pretty crazy to think about.

Texans finish 6-1 or even 5-2, BOB Might be in consideration for COTH and Executive of the Year.

12. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I have doubts this kid will be any good, but don't mind the flyer. Lord knows we need some guys back there!

14. Nook

Nook Member

Because they do not have a #1 pick in 2020 and 2021.....

They also do not have a #2 in 2021

They traded away their own #3 pick in 2020 and they traded away the #3 pick they got from Seattle in the 2020.

They also traded away their #6 pick in 2020.

So in 2020 they have lost: #1, #3, #6

So in 2021 they have lost: #1, #2

So relatively speaking speaking they have lost a lot of important picks.

15. showa13

showa13 Member

Although this isn’t a trade thread, I just thought I’d throw out there that it seems BOB prefers known commodities over unknown potential. Also, would you rather have the players we’ve gotten for these picks who we know what they are versus the unknown player we would draft from the pick? Would you rather have Denzel Ward or Deshaun Watson? Just playing devils advocate

raining threes likes this.
  16. Mr. Clutch

And it's not like those trades made them juggernauts this year. It was just scrambling to fill holes rather than building a contender

17. raining threes

They lost their 1st rd pick in 2020 unless you consider Tunsil their 1st rd pick in 2020, which I do.

They have a 2nd and a comp 3rd so they basically moved down from say 25 to 35 for Duke. They may even get another comp 3rd. They gained a 4-4 right now from the Dolphins for a 6th and have their own 4th. they have their 5th and 7th plus what should be 7th comp picks. Although they will be losing one of those for Roby. This is according to LZ. So it looks like to me that other than the 1st rd pick (Tunsil) they have higher picks than they normally would a high 4th instead of a 6th.

The 2021 draft is going to look a lot like the 2018 draft. But that's the price you have to pay to get a franchise LT to protect your franchise QB. BTW, what value do you asses to having Stills for 2 more years, Duke for 2 more years, Conley for 2 more years. Certainly they have value right?

18. raining threes

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Again, you and the future. You seem to know it. What are the lottery numbers to Saturday's drawing?
    Adding Tunsil and Stills, at the very least....made them a contender. Adding Hyde and Johnson made the dangerous...for atleast this year. Adding Conley probably helped stabilized the secondary after injury.

20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hate myself for responding to you, but..

The NFL salary cap is more akin to looking up the time the sun sets in 6 months in the almanac than predicting lottery numbers - the cap operates to completely predictable rules, just like the motion of planets operates according to Newton's 3 laws as explained via math.

I imagine you know this and are just putting on a performance, but if you really need someone to explain to you the rules and implications of the salary cap and its relationship to second and third contracts for star players, I'm not going to, but if you ask around I'm sure you can find someone who doesn't find you completely insufferable.