1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bregman Runner up MVP, Trout wins

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Houston Native, Nov 14, 2019.

1. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

30 writers get to decide these awards? How are they chosen?

2. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I just don't understand how the Bellinger/Yelich and Bregman/Trout debates did not have the same result. It's the same argument for both. Stupid Athletic.

I don't see how much more elite a defender Bellinger is than everyone else. Maybe I just don't watch enough LAD games.

#22 rpr52121, Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  3. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Couple of thoughts. First, The Athletic has entirely too much pull in this vote. Second, Trout missed way too much of the season to be MVP. Had he played the whole season, no problem, give him the trophy. He missed way too much time though. That should have been taken into consideration, but it obviously wasn’t.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, **** the athletic

5. elrond

elrond Member

Was considering subscribing, now I'm glad I didn't. Had pretty much convinced myself that Bregman should have won the vote. Being healthy is a very important, and evidently underrated skill. Although baseball is definitely a team sport, any single batter affects the overall lineup and helps dictate what pitches other batters will see, so it's not completely in a vacuum.

6. Senator

Senator Member

There is a threshold and Trout was passed it. Writers I have spokent to use the 75-80% rule when voting for these awards. Trout played in 83% of the games last season. He is unanimously the best player in baseball and deserves it every year unless someone has a phenomenal Mookie betts 2018 type season.

7. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Altuve says hello.

8. Senator

Senator Member

Good. Hello and happy holidays to him.

9. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Trout played 114 that season, only 70%

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Did Yordan miss way too much of the season to be ROTY?

11. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Yordan Alvarez can become MVP next year, the baseballs were juiced this year.

Yordan Alvarez, Aaron Judge, Alex Bregman, Mike Trout, Shohei Otani (Pitch and Hit)

12. lnchan

From the Athletic...

Rosenthal:

13. lnchan

From the Athletic reader comments --

14. Elienator

Elienator Member

Maybe, but you can define value in a lot of different ways and given the different nature of different sports it's reasonable the results don't look the same. By most metrics, Trout contributed to more wins than Bregman and that's a lot of how "value" is currently defined in MLB. Team wins is not how most people define value for an individual position player. A guy like Jeter would have probably won an MVP if it was. If you want to define value more like a business would, then you could include players salary's. Bregman would have a much stronger case against Trout if you looked at production compared to salary. Most writers don't penalize players for getting paid though.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He is perceived as helping his team win more games even though the rest of team makes the team total low. It it the most valuable player, not the best player with the most valuable teammates. It could have gone either way. I suspect Trout won because he's lost more than once when he should have won.

16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

The AL ROY wasn’t really much of a contest. MVP was close. Close enough that, in my opinion, missing roughly a fifth of the season should have mattered. Bregman played 22 more games on a first place team. I do like the comparison though. Interesting thought.

17. SemisolidSnake

Only two major sports? Surely you forgot about the Best Quarterback award in the NFL.

18. SemisolidSnake

I also think playing for not only a non-contender but a 90-loss team means you're straight up not playing in the same echelon of baseball as the top team in the majors. Trout's going to be respected by anybody with a brain, but teams are just not going to take him or anyone on his team as seriously as they take the team everyone's trying to dethrone. All his IBBs just mean teams don't have to pitch to him because he has no protection in the lineup. I also think Bregman's substantially lower strikeouts should have really stood out. That and playing half the infield.

There's no doubt Bregman struggled more early in the season, at least in hitting for average, but I think that's canceled out by playing 20% more games on the top team and keeping said team propped up during the Great Astros Infield Plague of 2019.

Also, there 425 voters for the BBHoF, but only 30 for the yearly MVP, and 7/30 = 23% of them work for one outfit? What?

Hank McDowell and RustyHarden like this.
  19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Lorcan M.
    Hi Ken, thanks for the insight! Do you think you would have placed Bregman differently if the sign stealing news had broken before voting took place?
    Charles H.

Dumbasses already thinking sign stealing is like taking steroids.

#39 BigM, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  20. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Voting was done in advance of the playoffs or this story or Taubman.

RustyHarden likes this.