1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking: Trump's Wall

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 18, 2018.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His mandate was that Mexico would pay for it. He is not following through with anything. He didn't promise to take money from the children members of the Armed Services to pay for it. That wasn't part of the mandate.

joshuaao, RayRay10 and Newlin like this.
  2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

You sir are a troll. This ^^^ is not a serious opinion.

3. HTM

HTM Member

Yea, like I said, I think the DOD wastes billions upon billions of tax payer dollars every year and I think a wall is a worthwhile endeavor so I don't mind DOD money being spent on the wall.

Some is. Since tens of thousands illegally cross the border every month, and walls are good at keeping people in/out of places and I don't see anyone else coming up with any better plans, I'd like to see more walls.

4. No Worries

Didn't look much, did you?

Make the punishment for hiring an illegal draconian. This sh*t stops here. Remove the jobs and they will not come; those here will go back.

But here is the grind. The business wing of the GOP would have kittens. They want the illegals working for them to help their bottom line.

B-Bob likes this.
  5. HTM

HTM Member

You can apply the "make the punishment draconian" logic to literally any crime :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: .... obviously, you didn't think much did you? I'm happy to consider making it tougher on employers who hire illegal aliens but many use stolen/fake SSI and it's important to have punishments commiserate with crimes.

Mostly what I hear is buzz words like "technology" or "hire more agents" (they can't, nobody wants to do it).... a wall which is used to effect at many places along the border already, and has been an effective tool at keeping people in/out of places since time immemorial seems like a decent solution to me.... much better than the non-solutions I keep hearing.

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Hopefully voters remember and hold trump and senators that enable him accountable...

No Worries likes this.
  7. No Worries

You are now talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Illegals are "flooding" the southern border. Either that is a big problem or it is not.

If it is a big problem, the solution is to punish employers who hire illegals (like Trump branded properties) in such a fashion that they would fire their illegal workers and never consider it again. If they do not, f*ck'em and fine their asses out of business. Remember this is a big problem.

NewRoxFan and KingCheetah like this.
  8. No Worries

And 2/3 of the illegals come in through the front door and overstay their visas. They laugh at the low information solution of building a wall on the southern border.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  9. HTM

HTM Member

I'm not talking out of both sides of my mouth but clearly I am engaged in a conversation with someone who has difficulty with logic.

Like I already explained to you, but perhaps you cannot grasp. You can apply the logic of "make the punishment draconian" for any offense in the penal code. That way nobody will ever commit a crime under your logic right? That doesn't seem reasonable though does it? You could also apply a draconian punishment for those who enter the country illegally. That way they'll never come right? I don't think that is reasonable either.

10. HTM

HTM Member

Obviously visa overstays is different problem.. one not really applicable to this thread... that doesn't mean tens of thousands of people illegally entering the country through the southern border isn't a problem.

11. No Worries

Logic? You are saying that building a wall (which we ****ing already have) is meaningful. Building a wall is a campaign slogan for low information voters. Not a solution.

What does this have to do with anything?

If illegals aliens are a BIG problem that is an existential crisis for our country, all solutions should be on the table. We could start small and ratchet them up until the problem is no longer a problem. This would not eliminate draconian solutions.

If we start the conversation without all solutions on the table, is this a serious conservation? I suspect not.

#1871 No Worries, Sep 5, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  12. No Worries

... but perhaps not as a big of a problem as visa overstays.

Let me get this straight. We can only talk about a problem that a southern border wall can fix? And the larger problem of illegal aliens can be ignored. And removing the incentive of employers to hire illegals is off the table (since ... border wall!)?

13. HTM

HTM Member

Well, considering this is the "Breaking: Trump's Wall" thread - Yea, it seems to be the apt place to discuss the border wall/potential border wall. It doesn't strike me as the place to go off on a tangent about visa overstays. While that is a problem, it has nothing to do with the wall.

14. HTM

HTM Member

Building walls/physical barriers to keep people in/out of places has been around a long time Chief. It's not a new idea. They can be pretty effective. In fact, we already have a lot of wall. I think it's a decent idea to fix a problem that hasn't been fixed by anyone in decades. I'm open to it. Most every politician pays lip service to the idea of "securing the border" but present no tangible solutions. I think many don't really want to see anything done. They're fine with the status quo but saying "open borders" is politically untenable.

It relates back to your dumb idea that we can just make "punishments draconian" and the illegal entries will stop. Yea, well, we can do that for any crime but society and judicial precedent in their combined wisdom has decided to make punishments commiserate with crimes. Like I said, we can make crossing the border illegally punishable with a draconian punishment. That'll stop em right? Under your logic? Who would ever cross the border illegally if the punishment was draconian? Fixed the problem just now!

That is not a serious solution.

I prefer to live in a society with punishments that are commiserate with crimes. I prefer using a wall, strategically, to keep people from illegally entering the country. Much like we already do, but expanded and strengthened and much like walls have been used since time immemorial.

15. NewRoxFan

16. NewRoxFan

[​IMG]

17. biff17

biff17 Member

His mandate was to have Mexico pay for the wall what happened there?

So now McConnell and Graham are never Trumpers?

18. HTM

HTM Member

Ah, yes, insert picture of a wall used for bad! Walls = bad! I get it!

There have been border walls in Southern California since the mid 1990's. I didn't hear anyone complaining about that before. They seem reasonably effective and a good use of resources.

So Under Clinton/Bush/Obama wall = good/ok/inoffensive

Trump suggests expanding walls = Ur MyGuRd NaZiS/CoMmUnIsTs/GeNoCiDE

:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

19. biff17

biff17 Member

I see you are just using talking points, there are not tens of thousands illegally tossing the border.

This guy.:rolleyes:

20. NewRoxFan

No... trump proposed a "big beautiful wall" along the entire border, initially concrete, then changed to steel. He promised that Mexico would pay for it... then shut down the government to get his wall built. And now is raiding military including day care centers and engineering centers to get his vanity wall built.

And there have been many other ideas brought up to reduce illegal immigration and improve border security. trump and his enablers simply want to build a vanity wall.