1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blade Runner 2049

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Torn n Frayed, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

2. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Don't know how I feel. But at least Villeneuve is directing, Deakins on cinematography, and score from Johannsson.

3. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

What, have you not have a touch of the past inside the present with the Vangelis soundtrack added for effect? No implanted memories then eh..?

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

5. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Nothing more needs to be said. The above is the only reason I need to see this on opening night. I absolutely loved Sicario and Arrival. Villeneuve and Johannsson together are so great at creating genuine tension.

And Deakins... jesus he has shot so many of my favorite movies: Fargo, Lebowski, No Country, True Grit, Skyfall, Sicario, Assassination of Jesse James, Shawshank...

Add to all that, I loved loved loved Blade Runner. With voiceover, without, domestic cut, Criterion cut, "final" cut... I've legit loved every iteration I've seen.

I'm 110% in.

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

Won't give thoughts until I hear from @Deckard

jae713 likes this.
  7. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Don't like Gosling but do like the creative team behind it.

8. jae713

jae713 Member

Can't wait.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I know how I feel.........Villeneuve is directing, Deakins on cinematography, and score from Johannsson.

Take my money.

eric.81 and Clutch like this.
  11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Money grab. I keep hearing who's done the score, but not who wrote the script. Without Dick material to lean on, the scriptwriter makes or breaks the movie. My guess would be: breaks.

12. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Hampton Fancher's name attached to the screenplay so same as the first movie.

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I guess @Deckard is too busy finishing up shooting for the film to provide his thoughts!

14. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Here's more info on all the possible ideas used for the film. Heavy spoilers a head..

Development of a sequel to Blade Runner first began in 1999. Stuart Hazeldine had written a sequel to the film based on The Edge of Human, titled Blade Runner Down; however, the project was shelved due to issues concerning the rights to the novel.[2] Scott considered developing a sequel, tentatively titled Metropolis, and again announced his interest in developing the project while attending the San Diego Comic Con.[2][3] Eagle Eye co-writer Travis Wright worked with producer Bud Yorkin for several years on the project. His colleague John Glenn, who left the project by 2008, stated the script would explore the nature of the off-world colonies as well as what happens to the Tyrell Corporation in the wake of its founder's death.[4]

In June 2009, The New York Times reported that Scott, along with his brother Tony Scott, were working on a Blade Runner prequel, set in 2019. The prequel, Purefold, was planned as a series of 5–10 minute shorts, aimed first at the web and then perhaps television. Due to rights issues the proposed series was not to be linked too closely to the characters or events of the 1982 film.[5] On February 7, 2010, it was announced that production on Purefold had ceased, due to funding problems.[6] On March 4, 2011, io9 reported that Yorkin was developing a new Blade Runner film.[7] It was also reported that month that director Christopher Nolanwas the desired choice to make the film.[8]

It was announced on August 18, 2011, that Scott was to be at the helm of a new installment, with filming to begin no earlier than 2013. Indications from producer Andrew A. Kosove were that Ford was unlikely to be involved in the project.[9][10] Scott later said that the film was "liable to be a sequel" but without the previous cast, and that he was close to finding a writer that "might be able to help [him] deliver".[11] On February 6, 2012, Kosove denied that any casting considerations had been made in response to buzz that Ford might reprise his role, saying, "It is absolutely, patently false that there has been any discussion about Harrison Ford being in Blade Runner. To be clear, what we are trying to do with Ridley now is go through the painstaking process of trying to break the back of the story ... The casting of the movie could not be further from our minds at this moment."[12] When Scott was asked about the possibility of a sequel in October 2012, he said, "It's not a rumor—it's happening. With Harrison Ford? I don't know yet. Is he too old? Well, he was a Nexus-6 so we don't know how long he can live. And that's all I'm going to say at this stage."[13]

Scott informed the Variety publication in November 2014 that he was no longer the director for the film and would only fulfill a producers' role. Scott also revealed that filming would begin sometime in late 2014/2015, and that Ford's character will only appear in "the third act" of the sequel.[14] On February 26, 2015, the sequel was officially confirmed, with Arrival director Denis Villeneuve hired to direct the film. Ford was confirmed to return as Deckard, as was original writer Hampton Fancher, with the film expected to enter production in the summer of 2016.[15]

Pre-production[edit]
    On April 16, 2015, Ryan Gosling entered negotiations for a role.[16] Gosling confirmed his casting in November 2015, citing the involvement of Villeneuve and Deakins as factors for his decision to join the film.[17] On May 20, Roger Deakins was hired as director of photography.[18] Principal photography was set to begin in July, with Warner Bros. distributing the film domestically and Columbia Pictures handling international release.[19] An official release date of January 12, 2018 was announced on February 18, 2016.[20] When interviewed at the 2015 Toronto International Film Festival, Villeneuve disclosed that the plot would include the ambiguity of whether or not Deckard is a human or a replicant.[21]

On March 31, 2016, Robin Wright entered final negotiations for a role in the film,[22] and on April 2, Dave Bautista posted a picture of himself with an origamiunicorn, hinting at a role in the film.[23] Bautista and Wright were confirmed to be joining the cast on April 4, and a filming start date of July was established.[24] In late April 2016, the film's release date was moved up to October 6, 2017,[25] as well as Ana de Armas and Sylvia Hoeks being added to the cast.[26][27] Carla Juriwas cast in May 2016.[28] In June, Mackenzie Davis and Barkhad Abdi were cast,[29][30] with David Dastmalchian, Hiam Abbass and Lennie James joining in July.[31][32] Jared Leto was added to the cast in August.[33]

In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Villeneuve briefly discussed the film, revealing it's set a few decades after the original. It will again take place in Los Angeles, and the Earth's atmosphere will be different. "The climate has gone berserk — the ocean, the rain, the snow is all toxic". Scott's role with the film was then revealed as being an executive producer.[34]

15. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

This is a very good point. The original script for Blade Runner was written by Hampton Fancher and completely redone by David Peoples. Peoples is one of my favorite writers and unparalleled by his contemporaries. He wrote straight up masterpieces 12 Monkeys, Blade Runner, Unforgiven and good stories that were muddled by budgets or lesser directors. Hero, Soldier, Ladyhawke, a titan in screenwriting.

I just think this is a cash grab and by extension a way of Ridley postponing his death. Lets be honest Scott is only making films now because he doesn't want to die.

16. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

Need an updated Gosling meme:

"Hey girl, you a replicant?"

17. Caesar

Caesar Member

Who's doing the score? Please tell me Vangelis is healthy and well enough to return.

18. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

No it's Johann Johannsson. Vangelis' output now is way too orchestral and OTT for a film like this. It's all down to the cheesy ROMpler's he is using vs the sexy Yamaha CS-80 for the OST on Blade Runner.

19. Caesar

Caesar Member

Johann is pretty good. I liked his work on Arrival very much.

20. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Yeah I was really set on Vangelis doing the music again but seeing what he does now and then trying to repeat the past it's like trying on old clothes for him, I would imagine..

Caesar likes this.