1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Gross says Health-Care to add $562 Billion to Deficit over 10 years

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by F.D. Khan, Apr 13, 2010.

1. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...-health-care-reform-to-raise-liabilities.html

Gross Says Health-Care Reform to Raise Liabilities (Update3)
    March 24, 2010, 4:20 PM EDT
    More From Businessweek

By Susanne Walker

March 24 (Bloomberg) -- Bill Gross, manager of the world’s biggest mutual fund at Pacific Investment Management Co., said health-care reform will add to, rather than subtract from, U.S. deficits and unfunded liabilities.

“Long-term bondholders beware,” Gross wrote in a monthly investment outlook posted on Newport Beach, California-based Pimco’s Web site today. “No investment vigilante worth their salt or outrageous annual bonus would dare argue that current legislation is a deficit reducer. It will add $562 billion to the deficit over the next decade.”

2. uolj

uolj Member

This isn't really new and it isn't Gross making that prediction... It's based on Douglas Holtz-Eakin's op-ed in the New York Times from a couple weeks ago:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/21/opinion/21holtz-eakin.html
    [rquoter]...

In reality, if you strip out all the gimmicks and budgetary games and rework the calculus, a wholly different picture emerges: The health care reform legislation would raise, not lower, federal deficits, by $562 billion.

...[/rquoter]

3. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

One thing that can't be stated enough these days is:

Rich does not equal smart.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'd be surprised if we have the same law in spirit within ten years.

Even if no laws are passed, court rulings will be crucial.

5. conquistador#11

When you think about it, that's not that much money. You can't even fight one war with $562 billiooon dollars. Ok, maybe one war against Iceland.

6. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

I'll be shocked if the politicians have the willpower to actually stick to the medicare reimbursement cuts these budgets always contemplate but to date have never enacted. That is why I'm so skeptical about the bill being a deficit reducer when we actually get to the cost cutting steps. Weren't hospital exempt from the cuts as well?

7. F.D. Khan

Once a country gets over 90% debt to GDP ratio, annual GDP falls around 1% a year.

With growth rates slowing in a deleveraging environment, I don't see how we can afford this right now. As for political and moral observations, i'm neutral, i'm just concerned about the added costs to government, companies and the public under this bill.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Do you know what would happen to the debt/gdp ratio if the status quo were kept? Hint - it ain't going down.

9. uolj

uolj Member

I can understand that skepticism, but I would hope any changes to the bill that would cause it to cost more (like skipping or postponing specific spending cuts) would be offset at that time with revenue increases or spending cuts elsewhere. I think you've got to do the best you can now to make a plan that will reduce the deficit with a reasonable and acceptable solution and put the onus on the politicians in charge later to justify the extra cost if they choose not to allow part of the plan to be implemented.

10. F.D. Khan

I'm simply thinking someone like Gross, who I completely respect, understands these points and their affect on credit securities of the country in the future.
    Its also telling as PIMCO is one of the largest holders of government and agency debt in the world. His comments reflect the concerns of other countries and institutions that make up the demand for treasuries which pays for all this.

If they are not happy as bondholders, then we should be concerned.
    I, for one, cannot make judgements about the bill as I haven't read it and haven't heard enough facts about what it will or is supposed to do.

11. Major

Major Member

While that's probably true, that was going to occur regardless of the bill or not. So that's not an additional cost of the bill.

And the bill does make significant changes to reimbursement rates for Medicare that should force actual improvements. It gives an independent panel the ability to implement cuts - if Congress doesn't like those cuts, it has to find the equivalent in savings elsewhere or the cuts automatically go into effect.

12. SamFisher

I don't need to be Bill Gross to know that Medicare wasn't going to be able to pay for itself without HCR.

And LOL about "we must trust the bond market!!11!!!!" - I don't even want to get into the silliness of that statement.

13. F.D. Khan

Its not the bond market being trusted here but the guy who's flagship investment fund provided positive returns through this recession based on foresight as to global economic conditions.

When neither political administration or their people were able to see the storm coming the way he has, I would heed his words over a government agencies assessement of a cost and the potential effects.

Do you honestly believe PIMCO's top guys have less insight about what somethings ultimate future financial affect will be and the economic ramifications than our government people?

14. SamFisher

Your appeal to authority had me going for about five seconds. Just subtract about five seconds from that total.

If you'd bothered to read your own thread, you'd read that his "insight" is the product of (edit) an NYT subscription.

I get it on Saturday Sunday, does that mean I have insight too?

#14 SamFisher, Apr 13, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  15. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

This is an outstanding point.

This BBS can debate all day long whether the bill that passed was the best answer to the problem, but the fact remains that the status quo was not sustainable.