1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biggest offseason priority outside of resigning Astros?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Senator, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Once again that was influenced by a ridiculously hot month. We'll see but I don't have the level of confidence some of you have in him.

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yeah, if you take out the times he hit well, he sucks.

3. Nook

Nook Member

White’s statistical break down is actually very sound.

He hit lefties and righties.

He actually hit better against the shift.

His BABIP was lower than it should be, so luck wasn’t it.

His ISO is good... he hit well working the count.

His BB/K ratio improved as is usually the case with guys with more at bats.

Nothing bad stands out... in fact offensively all positive. Only thing with him is he has limited positional value and is very slow.

Still he can play 1st well enough and can get DH and PH at bats.

I think the Astros need another quality hitter like Cruz or Brantley or Murphy in free agency... but even adding someone like that gives enough at bats for White and Gurriel (who will magically see his power return).

Goldschmidt would be great but I think the prospect and financial cost together is likely too much.

4. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

I don’t care how great White was in August, only thing I remember of him in 2018 is when he looked at all 5 pitches during game 4.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Ah yes, ignore the overall quality of previous work in favor of a few bad AB's. Can't fault that logic.

Is there any guarantee White can replicate the great performance of his past 300 or so PA, no. Is a team with looming financial constraints gonna mothball a cheap team controlled player over a few bad games in the ALCS else, no they are not.

I think the Astros are gonna add a bat of some repute in the offseason, but Tyler White is in their regular plans to open 2019, either as the full time DH, or splitting time between DH and 1B. The only way that could change is if he is included in a trade for a premier slugger.

6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Fortunately the Astros don't make roster decisions based on which ABs triggered you.

Tyler White will represent about a 6 million dollar savings at the DH spot over what they paid Evan Gattis. The Astros have to save money somewhere. They can't have 15 million dollar players at every position. Also, if the rumors are true about McCullers requiring TJ surgery, the Astros still have to pay him. McCullers' arbitration estimate is 4.6 million. So we will be carrying nearly 5 million bucks of dead money right off the bat. Then add in raises for Cole, Osuna, Correa, Peacock, Devenski, Pressly, etc... By the way... the estimated raises for Cole and Correa add a total of over 10 million to the payroll by themselves. Expect more of Kemp, White, and Stassi next year because they are cheap.

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Excuse me, sir: it was ONE (1) at-bat. He's talking about one, single, lone at-bat...

He's slashing .277/.349/.531/.880 since 2017; 306 PAs. Cautious optimism is warranted, sure - but that's the resume of an everyday starter in Major League Baseball.

Nook and Snake Diggit like this.
  8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

So all you remember about Bregman is the 0-for in games 4 & 5?

kaleidosky likes this.
  9. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

All I remember what Bregman did was trolling Eovaldi and the line drive that was caught in the B9 of game 4. Otherwise, we might be playing tomorrow. But that doesn’t mean they didn’t have a great year. They both did. Suck that those were my last images of those 2 players. 2019 can’t come fast enough!!!

shvedsucks likes this.
  10. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

True, but if Keuchel and Morton walk, and McCullers has Tommy John surgery, we're looking at replacing 3/5 of the rotation. Could probably pencil in one or both of James or Valdez for those spots, but I think Luhnow is going to have to swing a deal for a starting pitcher. That and catcher are likely the two biggest holes on the roster going into next year. Upgrades at the other spots, i.e., DH, left field, etc., are luxuries that I doubt Luhnow will focus on.

raining threes and jim1961 like this.
  11. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

My point is I’m not going to pencil this guy in as a future stud DH over 100 great ABs...

He’s a career .248/.319/.458 hitter. In other words he’s been Evan Gattis which everyone thinks he’s so awful...

12. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Cool

13. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I wouldnt put it past Lunhow to offer up a package for one of them Mets pitchers.

As I said before Marcus Stroman with strom might be a good idea