1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biggest offseason priority outside of resigning Astros?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Senator, Oct 18, 2018.

1. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Won 103 games and made it to the ALCS but underwhelmed. Yall are some picky ass fans.

body slam, IowaAstro and Marteen like this.
  2. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Clayton Kershaw might be a free agent this offseason and the Dodgers may not want to pay. He is from Texas. Go out and get him.

Pringles likes this.
  3. Senator

Senator Member

Lot of casual fans in this thread showing why the Astros went 50 years without winning anything. The team just wasnt good enough, embarrassed 3 times at home against Boston.

Health is something every team has to deal with every year - it wasnt that bad.

The big 4 window has to be taken advantage of, not sat on with hopes and prayers. You dont tank for 5 years with 3 100 loss seasons for 1 measly title.

4. HTown2017Champs

Yeah, agree. After Tucker and Whitley we've still got guys like Alvarez, Bukauskas, etc. Would really hate to let go of Martin as I really love him but this is the one trade I'd be okay with that. Elite two-way catchers with all five tools do not grow on trees. It would address our need at catcher AND significantly bolster our hitting lineup. I do believe we need to make a big splash to help us next year.

5. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I want a real power bat, even if its a one year type deal. Are there any aging vets that can still mash but not very good in the field that want a one year deal?

6. HTown2017Champs

Nelson Cruz is the guy I can think of who checks all those boxes. Not super big on getting him but not opposed either, I guess.

7. HTM

HTM Member

I don't want the Astros to pay either.

He is a great pitcher of course but the kind of money/years he will be looking for can be franchise crippling.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Wait... it was the fans' fault?

Losing to a 108-win team that is probably going to win a World Series is... embarrassing? They have the best pitcher and position player in baseball on their roster; by MVP vote, they may very well have the top 2 position players.

And, FYI, the Astros stomped the **** out of Boston... let's see... Oh, that's right: 12 months ago. Now I see why you'd rather focus on 50 years rather than, you know, one year - it undermines your entire reason for being in this thread.

Who are you screaming this "no ****" nonsense at, exactly?

DVauthrin, awc713 and marks0223 like this.
  9. Malaya

Malaya Member

More offense. From any position we can get it. Too many holes this postseason.

Altuve may need surgery so he may not be in top shape next year. Nor Correa.

So a reliable DH. And 2 veteran consistent bats to plug the holes in the hitting line-up.

10. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Interest in Sonny Gray? Can Strom work his magic on him? Or Yankees won't trade him to a potential playoff match up?

Anyone know if any Japanese ftee agents or potential players to be posted?

As for eovaldi, think they had interest I'm him before he went to the Sox so still might have interest.

11. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Yikes brother. I feel bad for you and your cynicism.

marks0223 and swoosh1014 like this.
  12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Bleacherreport on Astros free agents.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2798384-best-landing-spots-for-top-mlb-free-agents#slide6

Marteen likes this.
  13. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

What about health concerns with Eovaldi?

14. IowaAstro

IowaAstro Member

How about signing Adrian Beltre to a one year deal to DH and play the occasional 3b. A tough vet who can still hit.

ApolloRLB likes this.
  15. Pete the Cheat

Goldschmidt would make the Sox and Yankees wet themselves

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Offseason priorities should be tied to 2018 shortcomings. When I think about the regular season and the playoffs, unlike the last few years, there are no glaring weaknesses in a broad sense like offense, defense, pitching, ect. (IMO).

In a more specific sense, surely certain players may come to be deemed expendable and others not. Certain positions as well. But I think its probably obvious we are not going to plug a superstar FA into every weakness, even if we could afford to.

So it seems it might be a wait and see. See who becomes available. See if someone emerges out of the winter games. See who demands a trade. See who has offseason surgery. And so on.

I do think there is somewhat more need/motivation than last year to at least do one big deal in the winter. More likely doesn't mean it will happen though.

Marteen likes this.
  17. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

How bad is his health? Prior to signing Morton, he was always getting injured but it didn't stop them from signing him. I guess the interest in him could have been just for a rental and not for a full season/multi years. I guess it depends on what they feel.

Other random thoughts in my head.

Another catcher option is Salvy Perez. Royals might entertain the idea of trading him. He knows what it takes to win. Good numbers, good leader? Might cost just as much as Realmuto, maybe a little less. Not sure if he's good on defense though. Anyone know?

Some said Goldschmidt. Would you rather....
    A)just him for good prospects and picks or
    B)him and Greinke but for much lesser prospects because of the contracts? Although not sure how Greinke would fit in the lockerroom.

Morton said he wants to stay. Do you give him a fat raise for all he's done and throw a qualifying offer which he'll probably accept. Or be cheap and not. Offer him more than what he's making now but less than the qualifying offer? Although that's an insult and could possibly piss him off. He signs elsewhere and we don't get a compensation pick.

Someone said Beltre. Honestly I think he stays in Texas or retires. But maybe he can be convinced.

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The “All-In for 2019” roster:

Trade Alvarez, C Martin, Stassi, and Bukauskas for Realmuto
    Trade C Perez, AJ Reed, Derek Fisher, and Bryan Abreu for Goldschmidt, Greinke, and $10M
    Sign Maldonado, Morton, and Zach Britton
    Dump Smith for lotto prospects

CF Springer
    3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    SS Correa
    1B Goldschmidt
    C Realmuto
    RF Reddick
    DH Gurriel
    LF Tucker
    Bench: Maldonado, Marisnick, White
    Rotation: Verlander, Cole, Greinke, Morton, McHugh
    Bullpen: Peacock, Devenski, Harris, Rondon, James, Pressly, Osuna, Britton

19. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Man. Wtf is that? Health wasn’t bad? Do you even comprehend the ignorance you’re spitting out? One measly title???? **** off with your self righteous sorry ass.

Winning that title was the greatest sports moment for most Houston fans life to date. Not to mention the catastrophic weather event that destroyed so many people lives a few months prior.

That’s the greatest Cinderella story I’ve witnessed in my lifetime. A team bringing pride to a city that just went through hell. You sound like a guy that needs a reality check by a fist or two.

20. Senator

Senator Member

Nothing Cinderella about tanking for 5 years to stockpile top draft picks. It was so expected, sports illustrated had a cover about it 3 years ago.

The point of an organization is to win as much as possible with the talent the stros have (thanks to all the tanking). You cannot write off 3 straight home loses to the red sox as bad luck. Team needs more. Hoping Altuve hits for power again along with yuli, who posted a terrible .ops. Luhnow made a lot of cutesy moves that didn't work out once the regular season ended with osuna and Maldonado giving up many more runs than expected. The offense underachieved throughout the season. There are big names available and luhnow shouldnt hold back in going after them, everyone else in the division sans rangers will get stronger, along with the usual red Sox Yankees threat.