1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big Bob currently under fire: "Cant let the inmates run the prison"

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by donkeypunch, Oct 27, 2017.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Just saw this on sportscenter. In the owners meeting Bob was quoted saying, "We cant let the inmates run the prison" regarding the kneeling of the National anthem. I dont see this as a big deal, as that quote is just a saying/expression, but there was a former player at the meeting that took offence. Maybe that player has lived under a rock all their life or is just a thin-skinned whiner that just wanted to b**** about something.

2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I wouldn’t want to be compared to an inmate though. Especially with me being black, which about 90% of the league is, and the Kap situation, just a bad analogy.

Not saying he’s racist because I don’t know him and could have been out of proportion but not a good look.

Everyone’s going to have their opinion though.

Cstyle42, waytookrzy079, IBTL and 8 others like this.
  3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

He probably could have chosen his words a little wiser. I mean we all don't live under a rock and know good and well that this is about standing up for black rights across America.

Inmates + Prison = Riots

edwardc and red5rocket like this.
  4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That's a really really dumb thing to say right now.

5. conquistador#11

i like the phrase running the asylum better.I think asylum is the original quote people use.
    they should just let players stay inside the locker room like before. national anthems suck, all national anthems, BOTH SIDES. ALL SIDES. Except at the world cup when they're the best. France, argentina and U.S have the best ones. Sucks for you americans, your US football association robbed you from that glorious moment.

vinsensual and csj like this.
  6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Uncle Bob letting his inner trump shine lol.

And let me paraphrase this. When I say inner trump, I just mean from Trump's standpoint to say completely bizarre things. I did not see this as racist.

#6 tmacfor35, Oct 27, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  7. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

I don’t care what his intent was.. These aren’t inmates, and this isn’t a prison.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Poor choice of words.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Rooting for the Texans is like being in Prison.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The expression uses "asylum" for sure not "prison."

That said, I don't think McNair meant it to be offensive, but it was certainly a clumsy choice of expression. I think it also reflects his subconscious on these issues.

11. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Lmao and they want a statue of this guy?!

This is going to be fun. McNair is a typical billionaire racist. If I’m the players, I sit out on Sunday.

1. For the comments
    2. Astros game 5 bruh

12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

In B4 McNair's statue is ripped down.

IBTL and mrm32 like this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/...l-players-forged-anthem-peace-league-meetings

... ... As Jones spoke, Snyder mumbled out loud, "See, Jones gets it -- 96 percent of Americans are for guys standing," a claim some dismissed as a grand overstatement. McNair, a multimillion-dollar Trump campaign contributor, spoke next, echoing many of the same business concerns. "We can't have the inmates running the prison," McNair said.

That statement stunned some in the room. Then Kraft, who is close friends with Trump, politely rebuked the hardliners, saying that he supported the league's marketing proposal and predicted the issue would work itself out over time. This argument seemed to find a receptive audience in the room. An unofficial count had only nine owners in favor of a mandate, though the reasons for the opposition varied: Some owners had tired of Jones always commandeering such meetings; some were jealous of his power and eager to see him go down; some saw the players-must-stand mandate as bad policy to invoke in the middle of the season; some owners were angry with Jones' hard-line public stance on kneeling, feeling that it had backed them all into a corner. "The majority of owners understand this is important to the players and want to be supportive, even if they don't exactly know how to be supportive," one owner says.

Now, suddenly, Jones found himself in an unfamiliar position: He wasn't getting his way. He knew it, and everyone knew it. Like the numerous reasons behind the protests, the business concerns were nuanced -- one major sponsor had threatened to pull out if the NFL were to issue a mandate to stand. York spoke next. Though Jones and Snyder were angry with him -- they felt that if he had forced Kaepernick to stand a year ago, this crisis could have been averted -- York and Jeffrey Lurie of the Eagles had emerged as thoughtful leaders. Knowing that many of the players who were still kneeling were on his 49ers, York emphasized that he understood the business concerns and that each market was different, and that he had been talking to his players for a long time and would continue to do so. Lurie had spoken up during the meeting, supporting the players' right to kneel.

After the owners finished, Troy Vincent stood up. He was offended by McNair's characterization of the players as "inmates." Vincent said that in all his years of playing in the NFL -- during which, he said, he had been called every name in the book, including the N-word -- he never felt like an "inmate."

It was starting to get nasty. Vincent and Jones had a sharp but quick back-and-forth, with Jones finally reminding the room that rather than league office vice presidents, it was he and fellow owners who had helped build the NFL's $15 billion-a-year business, and they would ultimately decide what to do. McNair later pulled Vincent aside and apologized, saying that he felt horrible and that his words weren't meant to be taken literally, which Vincent appreciated. The meetings were already running long and were ending on a raw note -- and there were more agenda items to hit. For the second time in a month, a few frustrated owners grumbled about Lockhart, angry that the league was, as usual, appearing to be reactive in a public relations sense in the face of a crippling crisis. League executives worried that during upcoming events -- Veterans Day and the NFL's Salute to Service -- pro-military groups might stage protests. ... ...​

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yes it was. Crazy dumb to say. This will become a thing and will be talked about for a while.

This puts the Texans players in a tough spot. Either call out their boss, or meekly accept being viewed by your boss as a prison inmate. There's no good way for a Texans player to respond to this.

15. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

McNair should be forced to sell the team. Pleaseeeeee.

IBTL and CallMeTheDream like this.
  16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think people are overreacting to it.

Duncan McDonuts likes this.
  17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Which is to be expected. That quote will be all over Twitter (Bill Simmons already tweeted it) and people will rage.

I don't personally believe McNair views players as inmates, but ******* that was a bad phrase for him to use.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

*Makes billions of dollars off having his mostly black workforce beat the crap out of each other
    *Compares them to prisoners and him to prison bosses
    *Gives millions of dollars to #MAGA

Who wants to bet that he also

*believes that systemic racism/white privilege etc doesn't exist?

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Tilman was right. The NFL is going to die a ugly death. The old owners have something to do with that.

macho87, SamFisher, SC1211 and 5 others like this.
  20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The apology...