1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big 12 Expansion rumors

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Dec 7, 2014.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...2/07/uc-big-12-speculation-heats-up/20054963/
    With the lack of a deciding game perhaps costing the 10-team Big 12 this year, talk began again Sunday about which teams could be candi
    dates to boost the league's membership to 12 teams.

Those schools could include UC, Memphis and UCF of the American Athletic Conference. BYU, Boise State, Marshall and Colorado State also have been mentioned, among others.

Sources say that UC is looking to move into the Big 12 or another Power Five league, although UC will not confirm that. This past week, Cincinnati.com asked UC athletic director Mike Bohn about where the university stood in terms of league realignment. Bohn would not comment on realignment possibilities, saying:

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

UC makes clear sense. Main question for me is who would be the 12th team.

3. Major

Major Member

Big12 should just give in and take BYU. Figure out how to make the Sunday issue work. They are a far bigger/better program than anyone else available out there.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Texas faints

5. tinman

Supporting Member

what's the sunday issue?

chik' fi'a is always closed on sundays

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

IIRC BYU won't participate in *any* athletic events on Sunday. From a conference scheduling and TV standpoint, you can imagine how annoying/problematic that is.

7. Major

Major Member

If nothing else, the B12 should just take them in football and they can stay in the WAC in everything else. Or maybe Basketball too - neither of those sports play on Sundays anyway.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

I'd rather have Memphis. That would help basketball as well.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Colorado State and Cincy make the most sense

But wish they would add UH

10. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Football and basketball are all that matter for TV anyway.

11. awc713

awc713 Member

not a big12 or college football fan, but why not add UH? too small of a program? UH isn't all considerably smaller than the other listed schools. would be a good add rivalry-wise

12. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Big 12 would bring a lot to UH but UH wouldn't bring a lot to the Big 12. Same for UC.

1 person likes this.
  13. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

You just can't have 5 schools from one state if you want a conference to seem like a "national" conference. They also don't bring much value from a TV standpoint if you compare adding in more households to an area that you are already getting as oppose to a completely new market or state.

Great for UH but it does nothing for the big 12. I'm sure though a lot of coogs would tell you it's because UT is scared of UH. So pick whatever you want to believe.

2 people like this.
  14. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

BoiseSt makes a lot of sense I think.

And as a Tech fan... PLEASE bring Cincinnati in! I'd love to play Tuberfail every year!

15. Brando2101

Boise makes no sense. Again, it's a very weak program from a TV perspective. No new meaningful market. Teams are going to be very picky since they could be adding two teams to the TV contract but not getting any more money because of it. 20 million a year would turn into 16.6. This is why (IIRC) the big 12 was not upset to lose Colorado because they got a surprisingly low amount of tv sets in the state.

Also, they need to build east to balance out the conference geographically. Springing north west and having a team that is practically on the east coast makes little sense. It's just possible that we again have a stocked big 12 south and weaker big 12 north. Kansas St, West Virginia and Cincy could turn into more consistent programs though.

16. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I really just mean competitively... You would think the big12 would want to strengthen the conference with the addition. And I'm sure Boise wants to play in a power5 conference.

May not make sense financially or be realistic. But to me, as a fan, it makes sense.

17. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I think national conferences suck. Teams spread out across the entire country don't make for good rivals. I like a conference to be in a specific region. Almost all the best rivalries are between schools in close proximity of each other. Neighbor against neighbor.

I really don't care about tv money or any of that. Do they give a trophy to the university that makes the most money each year. If they do, I don't care anything about that. The big 12 is becoming another conference USA. It sucks.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

UCF is actually a really large college in Orlando. They would be a good fit.

19. Major

Major Member

The flipside is that if you're too regional, you become the SWC again. That thing failed for that exact reason - no one outside of Texas cared about it.

20. Brando2101

Texas vs Ohio St is a rivalry. Texas vs SMU is not.