1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beyond Kazaa...anyone subscribe?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GATER, Jul 22, 2003.

Tags:
  1. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

First, can we please keep the legal, moral and ethical aspects of downloading MP3's out of this discussion? I am old enough to have large quantities of vinyl laying around and I just want to get rid of it all. I paid (dearly) for it in the first place and just want to "modernize" it. Thanks.

Secondly, being a musician I have always had diverse but unique tastes in music (think obscure R&B, blues and jazz). Although I do need some of the more mainstream "pop" or "classic rock" stuff that is on Kazaa there is a lot which I am unable to find.

Is anyone here familiar with subscription downloading services? (Not the 99 cent/month current "pop" stuff, I mean mass quantities of older, obscure stuff). I have found something that looks promising and the site allows you to search in advance. They seem to have a lot of the songs I'm looking to replace the vinyl with. But I am leary that once I buy a years subscription, I may be disappointed once I actually get inside.

I'm not sure Clutch will allow me to do this but here's the link:

http://www.easymusicdownload.com

Anyone have any experiences to share or advice about subscription services?

2. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

the best place to find old or obscure songs online is to get a newsreader and connect to Usenet. go to the alt.binaries.sounds.mp3 hiearchy.

THere are several different decade groups and style groups.
    If you dont see what you are looking for, post a request and someone will post it eventually.

Thats the only downfall to newsgroups...it requires patience to find what you need.

3. GATER

R2K -
    Thanks. I tried Usenet for the first time yesterday. For whatever reasons, it wants to link to Outlook Express. Is this standard? I have been using regular Outlook for almost 4 years and have gotten quite comfortable with it. I suppose I could toggle the default mailbox between the two but would rather avoid it.

Any tips on Usenet use? :)

4. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

That's because OE has a news reader. I always use "Free Agent". You can download it here:
    http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

There may be better newsreaders out there. I just haven't needed to try other ones.

5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Tip numbero uno...
    Dont use Outlook or Outlook Express

go here for more info on other options. I use Agent...but I have heard there are better software out there.

Tip numbero Dos..
    Look into a pay server for best retention and completeness.
    I use Giganews personally..but there are other good ones out there.
    Advantages:
    Biggest one for Giganews is their over 2 week retention on binary groups, 95% completeness, and they allow you to download as fast as your connection allows.

Disadvantage: Not unlimited downloads..
    http://www.giganews.com

6. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

How obscure are the Blues you're looking for?

7. GATER

BobFinn* -

Here are some categorical examples of albums (or 45's :eek: ) which I am trying to replace.

Blues -
    James Cotton Band - High Energy LP
    Buddy Guy - I Left My Blues in San Francisco LP
    Muddy Waters - Fathers and Sons LP
    Sonny Boy Williamson - This is My Story LP
    Little Milton's Greatest Hits LP
    Some Freddie, BB & Albert stuff

R&B -
    Early O'Jays (from the same Stark County Ohio that brought you William McKinley, Alan Page, Eric Snow, Phil Hubbard, Luke Witte, Thurman Munson, the Pro Football HOF, ;) ) ....and me :rolleyes:

Huey "Piano" Smith - Popeye
    Rodger Collins - She's Lookin' Good
    Jimmy Robins - I Can't Please You
    Righteous Brothers - Early Moonglow stuff and some Phil Spector stuff - "There's A Woman", "Summertime", "Things Didn't Go Your Way" (Verve)
    The Seville's - Charlena (the one covered by Los Lobos)

Jazz
    Jimmy McGriff - Live at the Apollo LP
    Chris Columbo Quintet - Summertime (killer Hammond B3 version)
    Some Jimmy Smith, Howard Roberts, Herbie Mann, Gabor Szabo and Django Reinhardt stuff....

Can you see why Kazaa has limitations for me?

Thanks to all for the advice so far. I will try to logon to Usenet and let ya'all know how I fare. I'll probably need more tech advice though... :(

8. BobFinn*

Freddie, BB, Albert and even Muddy shouldn't be hard to find on kazaa (lite), but the rest of your list might be hard to find.

I downloaded Free Agent but can't figure out what to put for news server. Should it be Usenet? And what about SMTP? What do I put for that?

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Your news server is usually something like:

news.ISPPROVIDER.net

SMTP is generally associated with email and you could use:

mail.ISPPROVIDER.net

For instance, if you use charter cable you would replace ISPPROVIDER with charter.

10. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

what do you use for an ISP?
    most ISPs have a dedicated newsserver..even if they are kinda crappy when it comes to completeness and retention..

You dont have to fill in SMTP unless you intend to use Agent for a email prgram..

11. BobFinn*

My ISP is Compuserve.

I found a site that has a list of some NNTP's but am unable to connect with zippo.com or remarq.com. Is it usually dificut to connect, I keep timing out?

12. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

try this ...it's a 3 day trial of Giganews.

some of those nntp servers can be flakey, especiallythe free ones...
    let me check around, I may be able to find something

EDIT:compuserve's news server is news.compuserve.com
    but I recall hearing that compuserve, like aol, severely restricts what groups they carry.

#12 Rockets2K, Jul 22, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2003
  13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

GATER

Have a look at www.buymusic.com. Completely legit. Songs range from $0.79 to $1.29 with entire albums starting at $7.95. You get anywhere from 1 to unlimited CD burns and MP3 transfers.

14. BobFinn*

15. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew