1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Best NBA Playoff buzzer-beaters - 3 Rocket Moments Mentioned

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, May 14, 2004.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Damn, after Fisher's shot, for every Rockets fan, it was a knife to the heart.

10. Kenny Smith's big three (1995 NBA Finals, Game 1)
    The Rockets trail by three against the Magic in Orlando with 1.6 seconds left. Smith, who'll finish the night with 23 points, takes an inbounds pass and, with Anfernee Hardaway's hand in his face, swishes from beyond the arc to tie the game and send it to OT. The Rockets go on to win, 120-118.

9. Jerry West's 60-footer (1970 NBA Finals, Game 3)
    With three seconds left in Game 3 of the Lakers-Knicks series in L.A., Dave DeBusschere hits a 15-foot jumper to give the Knicks a 102-100 lead. L.A. immediately inbounds from under their own basket, West takes the pass and dribbles as fast as he can upcourt, then, with the game clock reading 0:01, heaves it in from beyond the halfcourt circle to tie the game and send it into OT.

The momentum doesn't carry into the extra period, and the Knicks go on to win, 111-108.

8. Alonzo Mourning stuns the Celtics (1993 Eastern Conference first round, Game 4)
    The Hornets are up two games to one in the five game series, and are playing at home against Boston. Trailing 103-102, Mourning sinks a 20-foot jumper with 0.4 left on the clock to put Charlotte into the conference semis and send the Celtics home.

7. Ralph Sampson shuts down Showtime (1986 Western Conference finals, Game 5)
    The Rockets are up in the series, three games to two. With the score tied at 112 in the Forum, Rodney McCray passes to Sampson inside. With his back to the basket and Kareem looming, he makes an awkward half-turn mini-jumper with one second left, propelling Houston into the Finals.

6. John (Motherf***er) Stockton's 3 shoots Jazz into Finals (1997 Western Conference finals, Game 6)
    The Jazz are up three games to one in their series against the Rockets, and Game 6 is in Houston. With the score tied at 100, Stockton gets himself wide open for a 25-foot 3, which he hits to give Utah the game and a long-awaited trip to the Finals. Stockton's shot capped an amazing final 3:13 for the guard, in which he scored 13 points.

5. Gar Heard and the Greatest Game Ever (1976 NBA Finals, Game 5)
    Many have called it the greatest NBA game ever played. In the second OT, John Havlicek appeared to give the Celtics a one-point win over the Suns with a miraculous, running 15-foot bank shot with one second left. Fans stormed the court at the Boston Garden. After order was restored, the Suns took a technical (which gave the Celtics a two-point lead), but moved the ball to halfcourt. Heard took the inbounds pass near the free-throw line, turned and hit a 20-footer to force a third OT. The Celtics won 128-126 and then won Game 6 as well.

4. Derek Fisher's Point-Four (2004 Western Conference semifinals, Game 5)
    Instant legend. Will it prove to be the key shot in another Lakers' title run?

3. Big-Shot Rob sinks Kings (2002 Western Conference finals, Game 4)
    The Kings, trying to go up 3-1 in the series, built a 24-point lead over the Lakers. But L.A. had the final shot, trailing 99-97. Kobe Bryant missed, Shaquille O'Neal missed a follow-up and Vlade Divac batted the ball ... to the top of key, where Robert Horry picked up the loose ball and fired at the buzzer over Chris Webber for the game-winning 3-pointer. Lakers win the series in seven and then win their third-straight NBA title.

2. Vinnie Johnson's title-winner (1990 NBA Finals, Game 5)
    The defending champion Pistons are up three games to one in their series against the Trail Blazers, and the game is tied at 90 with Detroit holding the ball for one last possession. Isiah Thomas winds the clock down from 20 to six seconds, then starts his drive for the last-second shot. Only he doesn't take it. He passes to The Microwave, who drives, backs off to make some space, and fires an off-balance jumper from 14-feet for the win and the title.

1. Jordan hangs, Ehlo descends (1989 Eastern Conference first round, Game 5)
    Series tied at two games apiece. Three seconds left. Cleveland's up 100-99. Winner takes the series. Chicago inbounds to MJ, who, with Craig Ehlo right on him, takes off for a jumper from the top of the key with one second left on the clock. Ehlo takes off with him, but makes a much more rapid descent as Jordan remains in the air just long enough to get a clear view and sink the game and series winner. "I can't believe he hit that shot," said the Cavs Brad Daugherty. "I don't know how he stayed in the air that long."

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Where is Magic's Junior, Junior Sky Hook to win game 4 of the 87 NBA finals ?

This should trump them all IMO.

Edit, never mind, there was like a second left on the clock.

#2 SamFisher, May 14, 2004
    Last edited: May 14, 2004
  3. thomp1141

thomp1141 Member

How about Isiah's drive that knocked out the Hawks in Game 5 with Hubie Brown yelling, "Here's Isiah, lets see what he's got."
    Classic

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If you've never heard it, listen to Geno and Jim totally lose control after that shot. It still sends chills down my spine.

http://www.clutchfans.com/multimedia.cfm

I was watching that game in my room while my folks were asleep. I started screaming so loud I woke the whole house up. They were freaking out thinking an ax murderer had broke in or something. :D

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I knew when I saw they made a list that Jordan would somehow get #1. I think that should go to the shot heard round the world.

However, I'm even more shocked that Hakeem's last-second tip-in in the '95 Finals -- the one where he assumed it was too late and you could see the realization that he had just won the game slowly dawn on his face -- was not on the list.

Their description of Kenny's 3 didn't do it justice. He got the feed at the top of the arc but had Penny charging him. Ever so calmly, he dribbled once to the left to leave Penny flying flailing, helplessly by and nailed the jumper. Before the latest update of the front page, I used to keep reloading on retro days until that photo popped up. It always gives me goosebumps.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Sampson's shot should be in the top 2 right there with Jordan's shot.

West's shot shouldn't be included because they lost the game. Otherwise, Duncan's shot last night should be there too.

Stockton's shot shouldn't be there because Malone cheated to get Stockton free. :mad:

7. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

When you said there were 3 Rockets moments, I immediately thought "Kiss of Death", Eddie Johnson, and Sampson's "Shot Heard Round The World."

I guess one out of 3 ain't bad...

8. ayears

ayears Member

Good memory, nWo34Life. heartbreaking TOP10!:mad:

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

JV, they limited it to actual buzzer beaters, where the clock read :00 before the ball went in the basket...that's why Magic's junior sky hook, Olajuwon's tip in, and Jordan's last shot in 98 didn't make it -- there was still time left on the clock after they went in.

10. JuanValdez

Was there time left on the clock with Dream's tip-in? Even if there was, it should still be on the damn list.

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Those were the Rocket glory days. I miss Hakeem!!! :(

12. Buck Turgidson

I know. Anyone have copies of the '95 playoff games?

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Amen.
    I mention it whenever I get a chance because it's one of the greatest moments I've ever experienced.
    (don't tell my wife!)

Ralph's degree of difficulty was greater than any shot, given the circumstances, I've ever seen. He was up in the air, all 7'4" of him, with his back to the basket, twisted like a pretzel, somehow, and got the shot off. It bounced up, looked like it wouldn't make it, then went through. After the Spurs/Fakers game last night, I was sure they would mention it, but they didn't. Some of the Lakers were laying on the floor in stunned disbelief... the Sperms last night were stoic in comparison. Also, Sampson and the Rockets did it against a much better Laker team, imo. After that, the Rockets and the Twin Towers were the "future dynasty of the NBA". Oh, what might have been!

#13 Deckard, May 14, 2004
    Last edited: May 14, 2004
  14. JuanValdez

Was Sean Elliott's 3-pointer jumping out of bounds a buzzer-beater? That was a great shot.

15. thomp1141

thomp1141 Member

That was beautiful. Elliott tip-toeing the line with Sheed fully extended flying at him. Beautiful.

16. gotrock?

gotrock? Member

I agree with what y'all said about Ralph's shot!! You would think a shot that finished off the defending champs and one of history's greatest teams in the Forum, at that, and sent a young, upstart team that wasn't even on the radar a few years before to the Finals would merit a little more consideration!!!
    Where's tha respect?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. thomp1141

thomp1141 Member

Another favorite of mine. Anybody remember that shot Rex Chapman drilled against the Sonics in the playoffs. He was about 30 feet out running out of bounds and the freakin shot didnt move the net. I think he landed in row 3. Gotta love that.

18. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Im pretty sure Hakeems tip in was at the buzzer

19. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

The single greatest one I've ever seen, Rockets fandom aside, was DJ's layup off of Bird's steal against the Pistons. Not sure on the clock, but that killed me. Hated Bird, hated the Celtics, still hate Bird...but that play forced me to admit that, with him at least, the hype was deserved.

20. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

I do have a vhs of the game with Olajuwon's tip in, I hope I didn't tape over it.

Pugs