1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best, most affordable way to get Houston Rockets games [only]?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Batman Jones, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

We have a winner. I just need to change cable providers more often. Thanks!

2. what

what Member

I'm not sure if root sports is with dish, so maybe you would need to go with comcast (dread!!!!!!). Just be aware that root sports isn't carried everywhere.

Batman Jones likes this.
  3. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

it's all owned by AT&T

Batman Jones likes this.
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Well that's good I suppose. But it is surprising. Were it owned by ATT I'd have expected it to 1) have better reliability 2) better issue resolution and 3) to have the ATT Sports networks.

Batman Jones likes this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Maybe I shouldn't have brought this up, as I'm willing to bet every cloud DVR option would have the same ability to spoiler OT. *anything* with a timeline or length of game would, unless (as you did, record it yourself.) There is no ticker of game scores or anything like that. It's just the fact the game still has a lot of time left on the recording, as you get close to end of regulation.

Hell, all I need to see is the game is 3 hours or more.

Here's how OT games get spoiled for me: Whenever there is an Overtime game, the timeline will spoil the fact that it the game goes past the end of the 4th Q. So, when the last seconds of the 4th occur, you will know the guy missed the shot or made it, due to the fact the game doesn't end there.

I've learned to put tape over the timeline. LP timeline remains hidden if you never pause the screen, anc auto-hides, but I pause a lot and replay last 15 seconds, a lot. So, I can't avoid seeing it, unless I put tap on it.

btw: You can test this for free for first two weeks of the season. LP is always free as a trial, at the beginning of the season.

#45 heypartner, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    Batman Jones likes this.
  6. Batman Jones

Both things I bolded are very helpful. I don't know why I didn't think of putting tape on the TV but it's a great solution to a ticker spoiler. And I will try LP to see if I can make it work for me. Thanks for all your help in this thread, @heypartner. Thanks to all else who's posted too.

I hope this thread will continue. I can imagine it might be useful to a lot of fans that are in the process of moving from cable to streaming apps or at least thinking about it.

Deckard likes this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

DISH doesn’t carry Root Sports

I’ve been using ballstreams (RIP) and Reddit streams to watch non-national TV games since Harden arrived in Houston

8. Batman Jones

Bringing this thread back to life as I prepare to cord cut.

I have Roku on two TVs. I'm very tempted by NBA Team Pass today because I see it offers live broadcasts and full game replays (which sounds like a recording to me--am I reading it wrong?).

As I recall (my memory is so shot from chronic illness) the major problem with NBA Team Pass is that nationally televised games are blacked out? Am I remembering right that they are, or does NBA Team Pass include all 82 games plus the playoffs?

I see xfinity is offering a bundle of a cable package (incl. ATT Sports Net), wifi (4G), and cell (unlimited talk and text) for a total of $119/month. And that's including renting a modem at $11/month as well as all taxes and fees. There's a one-time installation fee of $90.

That sounds like a hell of a deal compared to what AT&T is charging for the same things. My bill is now over $350/month for the services I described above.

So getting a $350 bill down to $120 feels like an incredible bargain to me but I think that's only because I've been overpaying for so long.

And it's not cord cutting. It's changing cable providers.

Would I do better to use my Roku and streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and DC Universe (I know--I'm the only one!) and buy Team Pass at a rate of $10/month if I pay in advance for the year and then going elsewhere to meet my phone/wifi needs? And, if I am, what do people suggest as best/least expensive phone carrier and wifi service?

I'm such a luddite I'm just bad at this stuff. That's how I wind up with a $350 bill for very basic services.

Any/all comments appreciated.

9. what

what Member

Your direct tv bill is $350, how in the hell is it that much?

10. Batman Jones

It's AT&T: cable, cell, and wifi bundled.

11. what

what Member

Well, yeah your cell phone is $120 a month for just one line. That don't sound too unreasonable. I pay about $180 for 1 cell phone, internet and hulu, and that's all I get.

That comcast package is probably not for modern smart phones, because you can't really get a modern smart phone plan for less than $100.
    I mean I don't know what you want, but I really don't see you etting all of that for under $300. I would call direct tv and ask for a $50 discount.

My opinion is if you get all of that for $300 you are doing pretty good.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

99'er or not, nobody should be going out of their way to watch this trash right now.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Thinking I might go the VPN + NBA League Pass International route this year.

My requirements for a method of viewing Rockets:

• No contract
    • DVR service (I probably won't watch a single game live)
    • Download for offline viewing
    Fubo unfortunately does not allow you to download stuff for offline viewing, so that is out. If I signed up for the cheapest Xfinity/Uverse package that has the Rockets + a DVR that will be at least $80/mo plus installation, so that is out.

So from what I've read LP allows for offline viewing. Also LP does not yet appear to block VPN IPs as many other streaming services do. I already pay for an unlimited VPN service (Bitdefender; bundled with my other services from them) so that is a sunk cost anyway. Sounds like International LP is around $100.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Won't be able to do any nbastreams type stuff since I won't be watching anything live. Plus, again, the ability for offline viewing is a requirement.

That being the case, I think my proposed solution is the only available one. If it doesn't work, then no Rockets for me.

14. heypartner

Question: Does FuboTV streaming only allow Astros/Rockets viewing from Houston IPs?

If you're not watching live, then I'm pretty certain regular NBALP is all you need. The black-out is only for live viewing. The Archive is available after the game. I know this, because here in Boulder, when the Rockets-Denver games were blacked-out, I'd just watch later.

And note: almost half our games are on National TV (38? or 39?).

Haymitch likes this.
  15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Well it looked like only one of the ESPN games was exclusive to ESPN, all others would also have an ATT Sportsnet broadcast. As for the TNT games, most of them are exclusive. Am I not able to watch NBA LP games if they were on a national station? That sucks.

Also, just to be clear: are you saying that if I want to download and watch the game (to view on phone) the morning after, then I don't even need to worry about masking my location (Houston)?

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Doesn't specify on their site, but their site is sparse on details.

17. droxford

droxford Member

Does that solution also let you skip commercials?

18. heypartner

Every NBALP account saves your purchased games to an archive area, for watching at anytime. This is one of the BIGGEST benefits of LP, is that you can go back and check out a game while arguing in the GARM!!! haha

That said, I don't know what you mean by downloading the game. Are you saying NBALP is now offering Offline viewing (like HBO does)? That would be a new feature, but I'm sure, if supported, the regular NBALP will have that. I don't know why international LP would have an offline feature that regular doesn't. The only difference is blackout rules for viewing Live.

That Save to Archive as a delay though. It's not immediately avaiable after the game -- few hours as I recall. I think they re-compress, etc.​

#58 heypartner, Aug 29, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  19. heypartner

It doesn't matter if the game is exclusive or not. League Pass will be blacked out for national games, except games on NBATV. It's a contract agreement between the NBA and the broadcast companies.

I was just stated that in case you can DVR those games differently. Also, I'd check out the International LP blackout rules for national games. Maybe in countries where ESPN/TNT/etc don't have a network affiliate, they won't be blacked out. You could just call and ask. Their phone number is posted somewhere.

If anyone asks you why you are asking about International LP, just tell them you are looking to buy both regular and international, due to your business travel requirements -- and you don't ever want to miss a game. I actually did that once, so I could get 1st Round Playoffs while in Germany/Italy, after going a whole season with regular LP.

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Haven't read it on any official documentation, but have seen it mentioned a few times when googling stuff this morning.

In that thread a user named prokitesurfer talks about it.