1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best games in Astros' history

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by codell, Oct 14, 2017.

1. koby1868

koby1868 Member

I apologize for the long post that most will likely skip over as they browse the thread. I put Game 2 against the Yankees this past Saturday as my personal #1. I've never been to a game like that in my life and you can only dream up such an incredible overall performance and improbable ending.

Something about playing the Yankees brings a different vibe to the stadium. We arrived to MMP around 11:15 at the Fan Fest entrance and got into the stadium as fast as possible to get a good SRO spot before fans piled in like sardines trying to find some sort of view of the field. Watching Astros BP you could see something was a little off, not many HR balls flying out and mostly working opposite field. Then the Bronx Bombers stepped in and put on a show. Bomb after bomb, upper deck shots, train track rattlers and you could see everyone wondering what these guys were going to do in GM2.

Watching Verlander step on the field and jog around the warning track was much like the ALDS. Every step he took the next section over erupted and you could feel the crowd was in the game before it even started. Chants of Ver-Lan-Der echoing throughout the stadium. It was no different once the game began. Strike out after strike out, the K posters passed out before the game getting a ton of use early on and never stopped.

With not much action going on offensively besides Altuve, Mr. MVP himself. Correa hits another HR and we all went crazy. High fives and hugs for complete strangers as we all celebrate what we all believe was a HR but it gets quiet. The huge screen in the outfield shows the play is now under review and we are all asking each other what could be wrong, what did one of the good guys do? Once the replay was displayed we all lost it! Clearly a homer the celebrations continued but were short lived as they tied it up shortly after on a ball that somehow found its way to the wall directly below us and got stuck holding the runner at 2nd for a ground rule double and scoring 1.

Fast forward to the end of the game. The crowd is electric and ready to try to close this game out. Altuve sends the line drive back up the middle and reaches safely with Correa coming up. What a game he's had to this point, HR and a huge off balance throw to Breg at 3rd for a big out. That ball was hit so hard in the 9th that Altuve wasn't even to the 3rd yet when the ball was already making its way to the cut off but he made the turn anyway. It seemed like forever waiting for him to reach home only to see the Yanks drop the ball at the plate and Altuve smack home to seal the victory.

The loudest stadium I have ever been in. Typing this now is giving me goose bumps. We had formed friendships with these fans that prior to the playoffs were strangers. Through several games together we all became friends and for those few minutes after that finish we all felt like family. Hugs for everyone, tears from some, bloody lips from excessive celebrations lol, shock from others and the sweeeeeet sound of telling all the Yanks it was over and we would see them in New York.

My personal favorite game because I was there with my family and we all get to talk about one of the greatest playoff games in history.

Go Astros!

texans1095 and BigM like this.
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

1) Verlander Ks 13 Game
    2) Burke Homer game

I'm a lot more confident in Astros this year. What Verlander did was simply amazing considering the way the game is going. Also, Astros pen is so well rested right now heading into 3 straight games where it will be tough for NYY to bullpen all three games.

3. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Being there in person made this rise to the top.

I assume only playoff game counts... but the Keuchel wild card game against the Yankees should rank up there.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I hate to say it...but, objectively, the best game the Astros ever played in was a game they lost. The heartbreaking Game 6 of the 1986 NLCS. I was at the 18 inning game....but the 16 inning game had so much more drama. Hatcher's long foul ball in the 14th just down the line...just left of the foul pole...followed up by a nearly identical shot just right of that same foul pole to tie it up...wow. We all knew if the Astros won that game, they were going to the World Series...the Mets knew it too...because Scott would have pitched Game 7 and he was untouchable.

An overlooked game is Game 1 of that 86 NLCS. Scott pitched a 9 inning shutout, struck out 14, and the Astros rode a solo Glenn Davis HR to a victory.

If you get a chance, buy "The Greatest Game Ever Played" by Jerry Izenberg. It's ultimately about that Game 6....but the buildup and context to that game are what made it so special.

This Verlander win on Saturday ranks so high up on the list, though....so high. None of us are gonna forget that.

Plowman likes this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

How can something that by its nature is subjective, be objective?

MadMax likes this.
  6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I meant taking off my Astros colored glasses :) Should have been clearer.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Taking off Orange and blue colored glasses makes this what is the best game the Astros played in from the point of view of non-Astros fans. Non-Astros fans might as well be Ranger fans in regards to opinions on the best game in Astros History from my highly biased opinion. :)

MadMax likes this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Let's be honest, the most famous Astro playoff game is the Pujols game. I doubt most have any clue we actually won the series the next game, but fans with a rooting interest aren't gonna remember losses as great games. They just aren't wired that way

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

The 18 inning game and the Pujols Game 6 are easily the most memorable for me. I'd imagine the Pujols moonshot is the one that all Astros fans remember exactly where they were more than any other. I certainly wouldn't call it the "best" game though.

10. PhiSlammaJamma

1. Great Scott! ( the no hitter to clinch )
    2. Altuves mad dash
    3. Nolan Ryan no hitter national tv ( dodgers )
    4. Burkes blast
    5. Kent walk off
    6. Mike Scott 1-0 mets
    7. Hatchers foul pole
    8. Niekro #163
    9. 6 man no hitter
    10. Jose Cruz downs the phillies

Honorable mention:
    11. Verlanders Asylum ( Boston )
    12. Birth of the Astrodome

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. Burke wins it in the 18th inning against the Braves.
    2. ALCS 2017 Altuve mad dash game winner
    3. Kent walk-off
    4. Mike Scott No-Hitter

12. Anticope

Anticope Member

I don't know if it makes any greatest games lists but watching Beltran and the Astros mash their way to the first series win in game 5 of the '04 NLDS was refreshing after years of playoff torture.

13. the shark

the shark Member

The 1980 tie breaker game against the Dodgers was a HUGE win for the franchise. They went into the last series of the season against the Dodgers (in L.A.) only having to win one of the three games to win the Ntl league West Division. They lost all three games and wound up tied with L.A, and thus the tie breaker game (in L.A.) to determine who won the west and made the playoffs (no WC back then and only two divisions). Joe Niekro pitches an absolute masterpiece (complete game) and the 'Stros won 7-1 and went to the playoffs for the first time ever. Wasn't the greatest game ever but it was certainly HUGE!!!

KingCheetah and Plowman like this.
  14. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

The Billy Hatcher HR for some odd reason is still my favorite "moment", but Kevin Bass ended that game in a negative way so.....

Jeff Kent HR was tops until JV happened

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I think this HAS to be #1. In terms of GREATEST games, regardless of results, game 6 in '86 is the most nauseating game I've ever had the displeasure of sitting through.

Note: individual playoff wins are great - but if they lose the series, it dulls the game, IMO. Also....... am I the only one that is "meh" about that '05 team? They essentially had five good players and then a bunch of forgettable scrubs......... I still can't believe THAT team is the only one in our history to win a pennant.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On the 2005 team, Astros have had better teams not win the pennant.

Poloshirtbandit likes this.
  17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yes..yes you are the only one.

Seriously WTF is wrong with you? We have one WS appearance and you are meh about the team?

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

RE: 2005 team.... Clemens/Oswalt/Pettite/Lidge were THAT good that year.

Also, underrated year at the plate for Ensberg... while Berkman has one of his "worst" years to that point (played 30 less games) and still puts up a .934 OPS.

That's already 6 good players...Wheeler was also great for them as a set-up guy. And however you want to quantify Adam Everett's defense (which played a part in having 3 ace-level pitchers), there's that.

But yeah... this year's team runs circles around that one.... in every way imaginable.

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yep. Are you a big fan of Jason Lane? Willy Taveras? Luke Scott? Brandon Backe?

Berkman and Oswalt are all-time great Astros - but Bagwell was done; Biggio was past his prime; Clemens & Pettitte were hired mercenaries who immediately high-tailed it back to New York as soon as they could...... There's not a lot to love about that team, IMO.

I love the 1998, 2004 and 2017 Astros much, much more. And they were objectively better teams, too.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Left out Ensberg/Everett/Lidge? Lamb/Wheeler?

The good parts of the 2005 team were lovable.