1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best 11 Guys - Defense

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Dankstronaut, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Well, so much has changed and yet here we are, with a 43 defense pretending to be a 34, Clowney pretending to cover someone once a game and all.

Clowney needs to take JJs spot and let Scarlett/Houston operate as the right DE. Stick a couple hogs in between for run support and at least we can salvage a defensive front.

Clowney-Reader-Covington-?????
    Cunningham-McKinney-Cole
    Sh!tty secondary.

At least this will feature JD, some run stuffers and a LB core with speed. I'm so disappointed, as we all are but god damn...what do we have to do to get a front 7 that can actually stay healthy? It's literally only been the case for like 43 total minutes.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

All this talk and not one mention of Dylan Cole. So much fail.

3. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Dylan Cole, Bay-bay!!

Ahem. Carry on.

DudeWah likes this.
  4. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Cole has been mentioned. He has him as the third linebacker

5. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Any updates on him? He, McKinneyand Cunningham are making a huge impact right now and we absolutely can't afford to lose him.

Did see Clowney take over JJs spot, but I think he's really hurting, don't see the fear inducing athleticism right now. That crash into McKinney was scary too. They seriously need to work on disguising blitzes or coming up with more straightforward blitz packages. Putting everyone on the line isn't fooling offenses and they really don't have the horses to consistently win one on one.

6. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

This is still a 43 defense. Unless Clowney is willing to play 34 end, seeing as how he was in coverage against TOM BRADY I’m taking that as a no?

This is how they can pull off a 34

————-Watt - Reader - Clowney —————-
    ——-McKinney-Cole-Cunningham-Mercilus—- -
    -??——Jackson - Matthieu - Joseph——-

Clowney and whoever is co-signing needs to get over these delusions that he is in coverage on something other than a zone dog/exotic blitz. Get his hand in the dirt, put WM back to his natural edge, put your other big, strong run stopper on the edge and your two fast, coverage types in the middle. Jackson is a beast at safety, can’t even enjoy it nine years too late. Joseph made a few plays with real safety help. Reid made a *special* play 1 on 1 against gronk. Obvious weak link is obvious, y’all I’m getting someone to whisper in Kevin Johnson’s ear to retire. Very bad. Wow. Expect some roster churn at CB.

43 front

Mercilus Watt Reader Clowney
    Cole McKinney Cunningham

I mean, is this rocket science? So fkn cute all the time. Put them in positions that suit them.

conquistador#11 and houstonstime like this.
  7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Adjusted

It would help if you, yourself knew what positions were best suited before you go on a rant.

#27 donkeypunch, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    houstonstime likes this.
  8. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Strongside *is* the best place for McKinney. He's big and strong, he's a run stopper, he's a decent pass rusher. What he isn't: capable in pass coverage, capable of running to either sideline, capable of staying on the field for 3rd downs (unless they're hiding him as a pass rusher)

I mean, he's basically playing SLB in the middle. Just move him over full time.

And yeah, Cunningham/Cole are fast enough to meet RBs at either edge. Both are better in coverage. Both can play any down. Really, I don't see how this is hard. What have I been wrong about so far? Jackson is better as a safety...Clowney is better as a DL...Cushing is better off the field lol....

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Cause that is his postion. He is the SLB in the middle.