1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

baseball keeper question

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by awc713, Feb 24, 2016.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

I'm in a 12-team league. We can keep up to (3) players. We can keep each player for up to (3) years.

The draft is 22 rounds. Here are my best keeper options:

Stroman (21)
    D'Arndaud (21)
    R. Martin (19)
    Lindor (around rounds 12 - 14)
    McCullers (around rounds 13-17)
    Yelich (7)
    Melancon (9)
    Gardner (9)

Right now, I'm leaning towards Stroman, Lindor, and D'Arndaud. I really like their values at those rounds, but maybe Yelich, Martin, McCullers, or Melancon are better keepers? Would love any input or thoughts!

The stats are as follows:

Offense: R, H, HR, RBI, SB, K, AVG, OPS
    Pitching: SV, K, TB, ERA, WHIP, K/BB, WIN%, QS

Thanks!

2. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Here are my two cents:
    Lindor is an obvious choice, so he is one of your three keepers.

I also think d'Arnaud provides great value as an offensive-minded catcher at round 21. I have always been bullish on d'Arnaud as well, and if healthy, he projects to produce well.

If this is a 2 catcher league, I would be pretty tempted to just roll with a Russell Martin/d'Arnaud duo, as they both provide such nice round value. And I know Martin isn't as young as some of your other options, but I'd think that he could provide above-average offense from a catcher for the next couple of years, in case his age is a concern to you.

Onto my cuts
    I'm actually a Yelich fan, but I think there are other, better values for you to keep as your three. You can always re-draft Yelich if you are high on him. Pitchers are nice, and I can see why you'd be tempted with Stroman with his value, but I am thinking it would be easier to find a replacement pitcher for Stroman late in the draft as opposed to a replacement catcher as good as Russell Martin. Same logic regarding McCullers, and at their respective rounds, Stroman probably provides more fantasy value anyway. Gardner is not even an option really for me personally, and I would not spend one of my three keepers on a closer, so that eliminates Melancon.

So with that rationale, my opinion (fantasy sports is all opinions anyway, so don't hate me if I end up being totally wrong, haha!) is to keep Lindor, d'Arnaud, and Russell Martin.

1 person likes this.
  3. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

Starting pitching is attainable but stromal in the 21st is also awesome. Him and Lindor for me are huge.. I'd decide between Martin or melancon for the last one

4. awc713

awc713 Member

Lance McCullers in the 22nd or Chris Sale in the 3rd? I'm keeping Lindor (14) and Stroman (21), but can't decide on the last keeper.

Note, 9 top 20 SPs are being kept, and because I draft last, I'm worried about accumulating elite talent (looking at Bautista/Abreu/Encarnacion at the 1st and 2nd rounds)...so I'm debating just keeping Sale and passing on the value of McCullers because I need as much elite talent as possible. Sale would go mid to late 2nd round otherwise.

Thoughts? Thanks!

5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Moving discussion into here to avoid polluting the Astros thread.

I guess it's personal preference then. I'd definitely go Stroman/LMC/Lester with rounds 1/2/4 on hitters (if that's how you want to play those early rounds out) vs. Stroman/Sale/burning probably your 4th rounder to get a pitcher to equate to what Lance brings.

6. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

That's a tough one. I like McCullers and all, and at the 22nd round he's great value, but I think the elite talent of Chris Sale still outweighs him, even if you forfeit the 3rd round pick. McCullers also has the shoulder scare, and you know the front office will limit his innings (great strategy for real life, but will hurt you fantasy-wise).

Ultimately I'd keep Sale.