1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barcelona trip advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by professorjay, Jun 9, 2015.

1. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Since everyone's been posting travel threads, I figured I'd join in. I'm heading to Barcelona next week. I've done my homework, but if anyone has any advice I'd still like to hear it.

We'd also like to go to at least 1 Michellin restaurant, not sure which one. I'm also not sure if it's too late to book reservations, I've just been crazy busy.

And of course with my luck, the Cavs will do the unlikely and win the championship and I'll miss it all.

2. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Lunch (tapas) at La Cova Fumada. Total whole in the wall, but such a fantastic place with excellent food and atmosphere. Was the highlight of my Barcelona trip last month.

3. AstroMechPLZ

AstroMechPLZ Member

I'm heading there for a few days as well in late June. For Michelin star restaurants, I think we went with Lasarte and Abac just because they looked the best on yelp. Would also appreciate what to do there for first timers.

4. malakas

malakas Member

You are about to visit one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Screw the cavs.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Go to La Taverna del Clinic.

My friend Tony is one of the best young Chefs in Europe and his brother Manolo is an excellent manager. Get the Papas Bravas.

6. professorjay

Sold. I'll be sure to check it out.

How was Lasarte, that was one I was considering.

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Anywhere off the beach and all the attractions are, you can find great food. The calamari anywhere was so fresh and so damn good everywhere I went.

Also do the Camp Nou tour. Even if you dont like soccer, its such a museum of a franchise with lots of interactive displays and such. Really worth it, IMO.

8. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

If by chance you have Starwood hotel points, I strongly recommend redeeming them at the Four Points Barcelona. For some reason, they've marketed this hotel as one of Starwood's lower category properties (category 2), so redeeming points for a free nice is an excellent value. The hotel is nothing fancy, but it's only a couple years old, really clean, and great location.

I'm convinced it's one of the best value Starwood point redemption properties in the world. Easy 10-minute straight shot bike ride to the beach.

You could stay for about 10 free nights with as many points as it would cost to stay at the W Barcelona for one night.

9. Major

Major Member

Amazing city. But be aware that it's one of the top pick-pocket capitals of the world. I've had multiple friends who've had stuff brazenly stolen from them when they turned their back for just a few seconds, even out of their baby strollers.

10. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

The pick pockets in Barcelona are second to none. If you are out and about, I highly recommend leaving purses and wallets in the safe at the hotel and just carrying a slim card case in something like the a buttoned shirt pocket.

Takes the stress away from worrying about bumping into people on the street, etc.

11. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Barcelona is probably still hungover with Barca greatness this year.

12. professorjay

Hmmm I thought about Camp Nou but I'm leaning toward passing like Messi *rimshot*. Between the price (paying for 3) and taking the time vs all the other things to see and do...I don't know. Too bad I missed out on the Barca victory parade. But obviously if there's one soccer stadium to visit...

Also I am a bit paranoid at how often the pickpocketing thing is mentioned in Barcelona in particular. It's one of the first things mentioned wherever I look.

13. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I am heading here with the wife in March.. The pick pocketing thing is quite concerning.. Is it really that bad? I won't be carrying **** around in my pockets just to be safe but geeze.

I have done research and etc but to anyone that has been recently? Anything new? This is my first time going here so anything will help. Also, are the museums and the L'aquarium worth it? It looks pretty damn cool online.

14. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

I spent two weeks there and never had a problem. Just stay alert. I kept my phone and wallet inside my front pockets.

1 person likes this.
  15. professorjay

I left there with no inclination that pick pockets are a problem. But of course I went there being careful and the reputation must be there for a reason.

I would just try to be careful in (touristy) crowds where people can bump into you. The area on and just around the Ramblas (La Boqueria, side streets just branching off from there) up to the Placa de Catalunya are very crowded with tourists and people in general. Also public transportation (buses and subway) when they are packed. Otherwise I wouldn't think too much of it outside those areas. But just make sure you don't have things hanging out and I always carry my phone/wallet in my front pockets anyways.

I didn't bother w/ the aquarium because I read it was kind of small. Please post your review if you do. Book tickets online for the Sagrada Familia and skip the hour+ lines (I have no idea why everyone doesn't do this). The Nacional Art de Catalunya is nice and there's great views of the city from there.

It ticks all the major boxes making it my new favorite city.

1 person likes this.
  16. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

1. Mercado de la Boqueria. Do not miss walking around this place. Grab a beer, walk around, sample food, buy food.
    2. Tickets. This is Ferran Adria and his brother Albert's restaurant. It is freakin' amazing.
    3. Beach. Walk down to a warm-water beach in a major metropolitan area. Cool cafes and bars everywhere.

1 person likes this.
  17. davidio840

Thanks fellas. I have a question though. I already booked a Hotel at Hotel 1898, it is right on the La Ramblas. I can cancel up to a few days before I arrive so I can basically pick where I want to stay.

Would you stay here (I have read it is loud at night) or stay a little further away from the main drag. I want to be within walking distance of as much as possible so any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks again.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'd stay farther. La Ramblas attracts trouble makers. It's like advertising that you're a tourist when you hang around there tbh. The entire city is easy to see on bus, subway and street car. It's easy to lean and the walking is simple since the streets are so organized. The city is made up like a grind.

1 person likes this.
  19. davidio840

Perfect. I will cancel that and move to the El Palace then. Thanks

20. omgTHEpotential

Lived in Barcelona for half a year in 2015... Amazing city. :)