1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Back pain experts - help needed!! [hurt my lower back... pain!!]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JayZ750, May 16, 2020.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

“Dying bug”
    And Something akin to making a snow angel but w lower back held on floor. (Elbows bent.)
    And some of those in Buck’s vid.

Amiga and CCity Zero like this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Sounds horrible!

well getting out of bed wasn’t bad as I anticipated. I think i was actually able to stand / walk slightly better....

BUT then I sat in a chair for 30 minutes to help my 4 year old do a LEGO and getting up from that just now is no bueno. Back to as bad as yesterday.

maybe speaks to your herniated disc theory??

3. Buck Turgidson

Yes, your disk is wack. It'll get better eventually, or go to the doctor. Just depends on your tolerance.

Epidural is the last resort, they sure help though.

CCity Zero likes this.
  4. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Deadlifts did me in as well. My form was crap though.

OP, rest and relax .. back just needs time to heal itself.

OmegaSupreme and CCity Zero like this.
  5. likestohypeguy

That will help. Initially apply moist heat and absolute rest. Now the muscle relaxers will help you not have spasms when you're ready, first once you can get in and out of a hot tub with epsom salt is a breakthrough; then once you can get down and really start stretching it you're home free.

I've been through this a couple times. I try to take least pain relievers I can handle, or at least let them completely wear off each time to really know where I'm at. Rest, moist heat, and stretching most importantly once you can do it is the way out though, and muscle relaxers make that possible much sooner.

#25 likestohypeguy, May 17, 2020
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
    CCity Zero likes this.
  6. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Get an MRI my friend. The location is as important as anything. I would suspect L4-5 or L5-S1 based on your symptoms. When I hurt my back I had the MRI and I found out that I also had congenital spinal stenosis. If it were only the disc it probably wouldn't have caused many problems... but the combination. No bueno.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  7. JayZ750

thank you. Any other time probably no brainer.

maybe/probably still will... but obviously Trying to avoid covid exposure as much as possible. Know of someone that just passed from it albeit he was 79 with previous bad lungs.

it sounds like absent something super serious - whic could be? - the solution is rest and rest then slow return to activity, walking, stretching, etc.

I’m icing, heating, going to do epsom salt bath then will try the meds

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

If our species had stayed on all fours, it might have been a good thing:
    * no back problems
    * no holding weapons
    * moar doggie style
    * no cable TV
    * no internetz

9. JayZ750

one of my last dogs that passed 4 years ago had back surgery at like 7 years old. Slipped a disc herself. So I guess it can happen to our four legged friends as well.

but rest of list sounds great.

B-Bob likes this.
  10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Forgot to add that a few months ago, I had what happened to you happen to me (I guess). Like I said, I had back surgery years ago for a ruptured disc that was causing sciatica. No drug would kill that pain -- we tried Tylenol, Advil, Viox (which was later recalled... lol), and Vicodin. I could only sleep in one position without waking myself up because of the pain.

I was picking up about 5-10 pounds of cardboard I had cut up for recycling. I was sitting on the floor doing it. When I got up I immediately tried to pick up the stack and the pain radiated sideways across my back. I thought I had screwed up again and ruptured my disc, but I didn't feel leg pain. I let it go for about 1-2 weeks and, just like when I was a kid, it "fixed itself". I didn't see the doc about it even though the pain had me hobbling around for a while.

I'd suggest you keep an eye on the strength in your legs. Back when I needed to have surgery, the leg affected by the sciatica was weakening gradually, so I didn't notice it too much. I didn't want to have surgery so the doc had me stand on my toes on each leg to test the strength. I could do it with no problem. He said, keep doing that on the leg where the pain is. You may notice it becoming more and more difficult to do as your sciatic nerve is irritated more and more and your leg starts to weaken. After another few weeks, I noticed it happening and felt I had to almost drag my leg around. That's when I decided to have surgery. The strength in that leg came back to about 85%. He said once it starts weakening, it's a crapshoot as to whether you'll get full recover or minimal recovery of the strength sometimes. In my case, I probably had lost about 30% of the strength in that leg and gained back about 15% after surgery.

Anywho, this is all to say, during the pain, try to determine if you're losing strength in that leg. And like I said, if it's a milder herniation, it can fix itself within a week or two. If it's a rupture of the disc, the material that ruptured could bump up against the sciatic nerve and cause a crazy burning painful sensation down your leg.

Good luck.

CCity Zero and OmegaSupreme like this.
  11. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

I had the same solution to deadlifts that I had to playing basketball in that "getting old" thread a few months ago. I simply don't do them anymore. First time it happened was about six years ago doing dumbbell side bends... second time was a few years ago doing the deadlifts. Don't do either anymore as the pain isn't worth it now and don't believe it'll be worth it for the body down the road. I just do exercises that focus on each of those areas one by one instead of all at the same time like deadlifting does. There's too much to focus on.

And no the back isn't 100%. Sometimes while working out I can feel my back teetering on the edge of that injury happening again. Sometimes it's form, sometimes my body needs a break for 4 to 5 days. I'm sure that getting older has something to do with it also. Things just ache sometimes.

Sorry for the derail, @JayZ750.

CCity Zero likes this.
  12. JayZ750

It’s hard to tell if it’s the super Advil I took earlier (600mg), the bath or what but definitely about 5% better much of today now. Just slightly less painful to get up and walk around. Still painful, stuff, and favoring my right side a lot - basically my right shoulder drops down as I walk kind of leaned over to that side.

I’m doing the muscle relaxer tonight.

no real radiating pain. For a second or two my left buttocks muscle was sore... but who knows. I’ve been laying most of the day so could be that but definitely keeping an eye on it.

I will start with light PT... but at what point? Definitely not now... but wait until no pain or start as soon as possible - assuming pain reduction if 50%-80% so still some but clearly on the mend?m

edit: evidence of the improvement. I just stood up off the toilet just using my legs. Yesterday to get up off anything - toilet, couch, whatever is have to slowly roll on my stomach and slowly uses my legs arms and upper body to “crank” into a standing position

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Years of mountain biking and basketball took the toll on my back... had to have my L5 S1 disk removed after MRI showed a part of the disk broke off and combined with the bulging remnant pinched hard on my nerve. Took months to have the MRI and weeks of PT that only made my back worse. The MRI happened on a Thursday, the doctor called me on Thursday night and said he tried to get me a operating room for Friday and none were available so he operated on Monday AM. Advised me if I lost bowel or sphincter control over the weekend to go right to ER.

Get it checked out. Lose weight and work on core muscles. Learn proper posture and bending/lifting practices. Good luck!

14. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Good Lord..........that sound horrible! I've had the epidural steroid injections. It was pure bliss..........for about four weeks. What a pain in the ass to mess with though. Sometimes vicodin and soma seem to be the only answer............if you want to just sleep the rest of your life away. Other times, it's like "**** it," I'm gonna just live with constant pain.

15. STR8Thugg

For what it's worth, what helped me the most (pre-quarantine), was going to the gym and sweating it out for 20 mins in the hot tub/steam room, then jumping in the lap pool and doing pool runs (basically just running but in the pool). Usually I did 15-20 laps like this, then jump back in the steam room/hot tub. Usually I would repeat this for 1.5 hrs to 2 hrs, then shower and head home and ice for 20 mins.

One downside of this technique is get ready to get more wrinkly than a raisin, but it works.

Also, try the McKenzie technique when stretching.

16. STR8Thugg

Tizanidine has made my life somewhat comfortable lol

17. JayZ750

Well I made an appointment for the morning. Step backwards seemingly today. Just stiff and sore again.

I did take a muscle relaxer last night. It knocked me out but maybe it wasn’t good for the muscle in the sense that when I woke this morning it was no longer relaxed and thus pissed at me?

18. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

If you can, you should try epsom salt soak. It's pretty relaxing.

19. JayZ750

yes done one each of the last two days.

Used to be a bit of a magnesium junky lol. So was doing sprays, did pills for A bit, did baths. I even did intravenously for 5-10 sessions - I went through a period where I got headaches and the doc offered rx or magnesium IV and I chose the IV and it actually worked.

that got me thinking about my health differently. Have tried all kids of supplements. Have done saunas. Have tried acupuncture and meditation. Magnesium still one of my favorites. Meditation is equally good but I’m very bad at it on my own.

these days I’ve been mainly doing just a multivitamin, extra vitamin D, probiotic and a gut supplement called GI Detox (on Amazon) that I like.

none of that prevented me from being an idiot and carrying too heavy a weight on my shoulder.

20. JayZ750

@Asian Sensation

sorry for the lack of update y’all.

I saw a doc on Tuesday. He said definitely not a torn muscle. Based on my walking and all kinds of tests of movement he was very certain I had a slightly bulging disc. Not outside of the spinal column or up against the nerves or anything but more than just slight cartilage swelling.

he suggested lots of ice, prescribed a stronger nsaid once a day for 10 days and said it should slowly get better than in 2 weeks could discuss PT at a telemed follow up.

so I’m now day 8 past the injury and indeed it has gotten slowly better. It’s probably 70% better now which is amazing considering how much pain I was still in last Monday/Tuesday.

I’ve also smoked lots of weed in place of muscle relaxers which I didn’t like and didn’t do ****. Basically been high every night this week which is more than typical for me lol. It seems to help though. So f those people that don’t believe in MJ at a minimum for medicinal purposes.

Richie_Rich and Asian Sensation like this.