1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Back pain experts - help needed!! [hurt my lower back... pain!!]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JayZ750, May 16, 2020.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Being a man today I decided to move a bunch of soil bags. My lower back was starting to hurt and I was like “nah, I can finish this project”... bad idea.

while walking with 2 bags on my right shoulder my lower back kind of “popped” ... I don’t know. Something happened ... there was no noise or anything I just felt almost like a ripple across my lower back horizontally.

bags fell off I went to the ground.

I’ve tried heat pad and two alleve. Will probably try some mar1juana next. Don’t currently have anything more hardcore prescription wise anyway.

I don’t know if it’s muscle or slightly pinched nerve or what. Standing straight really hurts. Sitting/laying is better but it is very difficult to stand from there.

my right thigh muscle hurts a bit but I don’t really otherwise feel any radiating pain or anything... and I did do some hiking yesterday (Enchanted Rock... cool place) and my leg muscles were the teeniest bit sore anyway.

But it definitely subtly hurts more on my right side than left side but subtle. Cause it really just hurts across the lower back.

Questions:

- anyone familiar with this pain? Does it sound muscle or nerve or both?

- best treatment options for today? Ice help? Anyone tried MJ to treat? Stretches?

- longer term... how long can I expect pain to last?

It’s not unbearable pain (which I guess wound be a 10 on 1-10 scale). I’d say in the middle. It just really hurts more to attempt to stand and walk vs sitting and doing nothing (still hurts then but less so)...

2. Asian Sensation

I don’t know the extent of your injury but I can speak upon the pain as I’ve experienced similar on a few different occasions.

Budget about 2 weeks of discomfort with the first few days potentially being severe. Tomorrow can suck especially bad (worse than today). You can take pills, smoke mar1juana, use creams, oils, ice, heat and anything you think might help. They’ll provide temporary/minimal relief. The most important factor is time. It’s going to take the couple weeks as I mentioned.

With that being said...There’s one thing that I swear by when it comes to injuries and pain. Acupuncture. I don’t know how many times mine has saved me. For me i swear by it cause it’s the only thing that truly provides relief but more importantly going back to that time matter....

What might normally take me 14 days to heal without acupuncture would otherwise be healed by about day 10 or so with a few treatments again in addition to providing actual pain relief especially in the early stages when it hurts the most.

3. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

Have had that exact pop feeling happen twice. Both while working out with deadlifts being the most recent. The pain both times was a 10.

First two days was bedridden mostly except the restroom. The walk to the restroom was always tear-filled. Pain was really that bad.

Ibuprofen did nothing. Couldn't ride in a car to the doctor because of the pain of sitting up (laying down was best) and it would spasm on top of that. Have a friend who is a doctor that knows my history and was able to prescribe me something stronger.

Day 3 pain dialed back to an 8. By two weeks I could still feel it, but made my way back to the gym and adjusted my workout accordingly. Took about a month for me to no longer feel it.

To answer (ok... not really answer) your questions...

Not sure if it's nerve or muscle. Had an MRI a few months after and I forget was the report said, but they didn't seem concerned though there were a couple of things noted.

The help with pain now? It depends on how ibuprofen works for you. For both times it happened to me, it did nothing. So you may have to go to a doc... in the middle of a pandemic, when no one wants to be in a hospital. Heating pads/wraps from a place like CVS help a little.

Long-term? Extremely painful for two days. Can walk by day three, though still very painful. Two weeks, the pain is more dull instead of sharp and can do most stuff. After a month things feel normal.

All that is if we had the same thing happen. Go see a doc if you can bear it.

Amiga, CCity Zero and B-Bob like this.
  4. JayZ750

Thank you @Asian Sensation and @OmegaSupreme

I’m going to avoid going anywhere with it as I literally just had a friends dad pass away from covid this morning.

mill suffer through especially since both of you seem to report exactly the same feeling and resolution. I’ll take it chill for a few weeks.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pop was central on the spine?

I herniated a disk in my lower back that sounds like your description. It felt like something poked out the side of my spine for a second or two. Actually now now that I read it again, a ripple sounds more like a muscle spasm, so maybe I'm projecting my trauma.

It lasted two months - most painful two months ever. I'm pretty sure I damaged my kidneys with all the aspirin and whatnot I was taking. nasids are terrible for your kidneys. Seriously dont exceed dosage limits in terms of length or dose without a doctor.

My pain was all sciatica radiating down my ass through my hip and knee. A week or so in I lost feeling in my shin for a week or so which was terrifying. I was limping around so badly that people would stare.

Deckard and Hakeemtheking like this.
  6. JayZ750

@Ottomaton it was really a ripple. Almost like a wave that radiated quickly horizontally across my lower back.

so far, no radiating pain away from my back really. Some mild right thigh pain that I’ve been having on/off for a bit anyway (Under 1 on pain scale).

given covid... rest and meds.

I’ve had an injury previously and overdid nsaids for a second and now hate them. That’s why I said mar1juana. It helps me already with prior pains and anxiety and just it’s fun (lol... it’s basically like having a beer to wind down but nice found way better).

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I used to have something similar to this happen to me when I was in my late teens/early 20's while playing basketball. Whenever I went for a rebound, I'd always feel that pop and then I walked around like a cripple for about 2 weeks after which it would "fix itself". I gave up playing basketball because of it. Eventually while trying to move a tv, I ruptured a disc in my back when I was 29. I had to have a microdiscectomy because of crazy pain radiating down my leg (due to sciatica) and my leg was going numb (I was starting to almost drag it).

You may want to go to the doc and see if you have a bulging or ruptured discs. If it's bumping up against the sciatic nerve and irritating it, it could cause worse issues down the line. If you can get it checked out, I would -- just for peace of mind. It may end up being just a muscle issue, but who knows.

Deckard, jcf and CCity Zero like this.
  8. body slam

body slam Member

As someone that has dealt with lower lower back problems for the past 20+ years I hope its nothing serious. When my back would start acting up my chiropractor told me to drink a beer or to before bed. That it would help me relax and it works. Also said to use ice not heat.

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Sorry for the long wall of text in advance - and if any specific questions just let me know.

Man, sorry to hear this - so when you felt the ripple, was it like a tightening kind of feeling and moving more to the right as it happened? And I know you mention pain - right side thigh muscle, but how far on the thigh - like when you stand is that when you notice the thigh pain more?

The reason I'm asking is because in a small herniation sometimes muscles will automatically seize up to prevent you from doing further damage to the nerve/disc etc. (either due to the nerve pinched or body's response) - Like in my low back I've had pain on and off for about 20 years - in my teens someone basically flagrant fouled me as I was close to dunking the ball, all the weight fell on the right leg, anyway it flares up occasionally but is manageable - I'm hoping you have something kind of like this where it's manageable and goes away...

Now the reason I mention the herniation... So in my neck c5/6 I felt something like you describe like a ripple/strange feeling but to the left more so than right, I've been dealing with it for a few years - injections help and PT but I'm getting close to the point I'm thinking about surgery, like left hand will become numb (if I don't get injections /maintain pt, like it's never been right, the other disadvantage I have is being tall... It's good and bad haha, just bad posture if I'm sitting at a different desk etc than mine and I think that's what contributed to it) - but it started with pain only in upper left trap area and eventually progressed, I can get it managed back to the left trap but just sucks, have never felt normal on it since.

What I'd do is see how it goes over next days, rest back a lot, and if back/thigh don't feel better in a few days - week / gets worse /progresses further - you might have to go to the Dr. I am going to try injection route and some different pt exercises one more time but if it doesn't work I think I'm at the surgery point. Obviously covid has screwed everything up, I was planning on injection and Dr I see wasn't open, I think they might be opening again, but don't blame you for not wanting to go rush to a Dr and getting exposed etc. Also, sorry to hear about your loss.

So on nerve issues, nsaids will help the muscle feel better but never really eases off the nerve, the mj might work though. And ice /heat can both help, heat to loosen up / ice to heal etc just depends on situation. I think if you do go Dr route and it's slight herniation etc pt could fix it. I think if it was a full on herniation/rupture you'd feel more pain and radiating which would happen a lot sooner.

As you heal there's exercises you can look up but 1st I'd get to feeling better, hopefully you feel better soon.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

****, good luck.

Deckard and B-Bob like this.
  11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I first had a serious back thing in my 30's. I (through luck) found a Berkeley athletics trainer who sidelined as a PT (and maybe as a country singer, though I can't see that with her).

She gave me the same core exercises she gave a bunch of the Berkeley (****) athletic teams, and I still do them, and I'm still free of back trouble. But hot damn, I was surprised how much work it takes to keep your core ready.

This may be totally irrelevant, OP, as it seems like you had a traumatic sudden event. But long term, I think if you carefully put the work in, you can be better than ever. That has been my fortunate experience.

(That said, I carry bags like that one at a time now, for sure.)

12. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

Go to an AMP

13. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Was dealing with the same type of thing for a couple of years. Once it happened the first time, it started happening every few months. Mine ended up being a bulging disc. Sometimes mild pain in the lower back and hip and could get kind of a warm feeling. Sometimes intense spasms and pain that kept me from being able to even get out of bed almost. Usually ended up at urgent care and they would prescribe muscle relaxers or something for the pain. After a few days it would start to improve and then was better by 10-12 days. Doctor told me a combination of hot and cold. Told me to buy a heating pad. Don't try to do anything physical for a couple weeks. No medicine actually helped a whole lot except whatever would help me stay still. Stretching would feel kind of good after it started to improve but that would end up making it worse. In the end they prescribed physical therapy which I thought was BS. I thought I would need surgery for sure. I only went a few times but I did use some of the stuff I learned there and it worked. I lift weights a lot but never did anything that focused on adductors or abductors. Once I incorporated those into workouts, it fixed everything. I started with band exercises and eventually machines. Just needed to build muscle to help support the back. 2 years of back problems every few months, now I haven't had any issues in almost 2 years.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Based on the pain you're describing and my expertise, it's probably your wife.

15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Definitely agree with you, and on the ibuprofen, didn't help at all, and pain, man... Until you've had it like you're describing, it seriously cripples you.

I mean before I had it happen I always thought it was just some normal feeling pain. Now though, man, I sympathize with anyone who's had it where you can't even walk without pain during those first few days, I remember exactly what you're describing like I couldn't ride in the car and the pain was so bad unless I was in a certain position it was just this insane spasm. Only actual rx drugs helped to dull it etc..

When you got back in the gym, did you change a lot on dead lift? Like stance or less weight? And does your back ever bother you sometimes? Not trying to derail topic but just curious.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Was there any specific exercises that you felt helped the most? Just wondering because I think even though traumatic for @JayZ750 and probably not needed to start, it might help later to avoid future injuries/help recovery.

Hopefully his feels a lot better soon.

17. Buck Turgidson

eta: and shoes. comfy, cushy shoes are quite important.

#17 Buck Turgidson, May 17, 2020
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
  18. body slam

body slam Member

lower trunk rotations at the 2:58 mark in the video work great for me. But I do left, right, and then pull my knee to my chest.

19. JayZ750

Thanks all for weighing in.

I’m laying in bed. No improvement that I can tell as of yet.

well I don’t really feel any radiating pain. Just pain where I hurt it. Standing up/walking remain difficult. I have to go to the bathroom but am holding it.

definitely right side more prominent. It’s a bit hard to distinguish Pain wise just laying here but when I do make it up and walk I savor that side a bunch leaning that way.

in short it sucks.

definitely will look into all the exercises etc. I really don’t want to go to a doc at the moment for obvious reasons but will see if it improves slowly after first few days I guess.

oh I have flexeril - muscle relaxant - and super strength ibuprofen rx coming today

#19 JayZ750, May 17, 2020
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
  20. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

You have a herniated disc. Almost 100% in my mind. You need an MRI