1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I've honestly gotten to the point where I completely ignore the defensive metrics for our 3B. Almost every year we have a guy that seems to make all of the plays, but the metrics say he is mediocre to terrible. I can't help but think the shifts are screwing up the numbers.

I just can't believe Bregman, who was projected to be an MLB SS, has terrible range for a 3B.

2. raining threes

Sometimes statistics lie.

This would be a case of that happening.

3. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

So did we drive down Sonny Gray's price?

4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

One of my least favorite arguments... Player A or B doesnt hit like a 3B or 1B... So what. If our 3B and 1B hits contact, gets doubles, while our SS and 2B blast homers instead of the other way around WHO CARES. it's stil 2 doing one thing and 2 doing the other. Bregman is a solid defensive 3B (Did you guys see that prototypical sized 3b Ryon Healy out there tonight with how many errors?) If someone playing a position that is not known for hitting homers is hitting homers, then isn't it ok for a player playing a position that usually does hit homers to not?

On that note, I'm sick of every other team having a prototypical LF who hits homers and has good size. Why did we get Aoki? Cut him now.

5. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you're making a logical fallacy. The reason why having Correa and Altuve is so insanely valuable is NOT so that we can stuff light hitting guys at 3B, 1B, and LF. It's that those 3 positions are typically manned by great hitters...AND we have the weakest hitting positions being occupied by future hall of famers...Correa and Altuve allow our offense to be all-time great...which is what we should be shooting for.

cmlmel77 and panamamyers like this.
  6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Yes I was completely wrong about Bregman and take back everything bad I ever said about him!

houstonstime likes this.
  7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'm open to a swing-for-the-fences deal involving Bregman - but I also have a sneaking suspicion he'll have a stealthily great second half. And I wouldn't call his first *full* season a sophomore slump. His slugging is down slightly - but he's striking out less and walking more and not only is his BABIP lower but it's lower than league average. So he's essentially had some bad luck and is likely due to have significantly better luck moving forward.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  8. Hoothrewpoo

Hoothrewpoo Member

I think you have bad information amigo. Bregman is a legit 6'0". I chatted him up at a couple of Fresno games last year - he's not a small dude. I'm not sure what your prototypical 3rd base metric is, but Bregman is the same size, or larger than most of the (historically) best 3rd baseman in baseball history. Kris Bryant, Miguel Sano and Nolan Arrenado aren't the prototype - they're the outliers. Tall guys at shortstop and 3rd base are typically a detriment because what they make up for in reach, they lose in lateral quickness and the ability to get down on the baseball. Not always - but mostly.

texans1095 likes this.
  9. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I knew you would come around.. ;)

Side note, Ryon Healy is big, I lost track of the errors.

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Good info if you met him in person. Usually when I see 6'0 I take it as a red flag height for something shorter. And Bregman usually is smaller than the catcher and ump with him at the plate from what I've seen. Maybe he just has that Toby McGuire Spider-Man build, but in actuality he's actually pretty thick so the proportions look off.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He's on pace, in his first full MLB season, to hit 16 HRs and currently has a .332 OB%. He just turned 23. I truly doubt he's going to bump into his "ceiling" this season.

Again, biggest issue with him right now is luck: his BABIP is well below league average. Once those balls start finding holes, his BB/K rates suggest he could be in for a giant second half.

12. htownbball

htownbball Member

Bregs is at his best when he can go the other way. A lot of his struggles are when he tries to pull everything for power, but ends up rolling over a weak grounder to the 3B/SS. Past few games he's starting to shoot line drives into the RCF gap. Seems like he's prone to kind of losing his approach for stretches, similar to the beginning of the year, then he went on a power surge, then now he's back to a bit of a slump and starting to pull out of it.

Joshfast and texans1095 like this.
  13. eslate22

eslate22 Member

archer for breg and lets win the series already... it's starting to get very boring

Rockets FTW and RasaqBoi like this.
  14. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I would get rid of Breg easily if Archer was involved.

15. Buck Turgidson

Can't have a short guy playing on the corners, it'll never work. -- Jeff Bagwell

I agree! -- George Brett

16. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

People also said they saw him more as a 2B, but of course Altuve exists (not saying anything about his range)

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The Mets are looking more and more like sellers. I suspect DeGrom and Harvey would be the two guys they would shop. NY needs MLB ready guys as they won't be looking to do a total rebuild given the construction of their roster. I wonder how close this package would get Houston:

Martes
    Paulino
    Moran
    Y Alvarez

In terms of value I see the bottom 3 guys as very close to what BOston gave up for Sale, so the main difference in those 2 packages would be the difference between Moncada and Martes, which I see as fair given the difference in value between Sale and DeGrom.

#417 Snake Diggit, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  18. KeuchelForPresident

The deGrom talk got mention in the press today:

http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/2017/06/mlb_trade_rumors_mlb-best_astros_after_mets_jacob.html

A couple things I like about deGrom -

1) He has playoff experience from 2015. If the Stros go all the way this year, deGrom is a fellow who will tend to instill confidence in the other guys with his 'been there, done that' attitude.

2) He's actually not a bad hitter (for a SP). This year deGrom is batting 9-for-31 (that's a .290 average!) with 1 double and one HR. So, he's not an automatic out, and on occasion he can surprise you with some power. If the Stros make it to the WS, at least some of the games will have to be played without a DH so deGrom would be especially valuable in those situations.

19. Buck Turgidson

20. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

deGrom would be HUGE.

I put him on a level above Cole, Quintana, and Gray as far as pure stuff (not counting cost control). I've completely taken Archer off my radar. He'd probably be #1 on my wish list (along with Marcus STRO-Man) but I just don't see the Rays falling out of the AL East race, let alone the WC race.