1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Nomar Mazara is their Correa; they're not trading him short of a massive haul.

2. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, why would they?

I'd be curious to see what Kela could do with the Astros coaching. He's got a hell of an arm. But again, why would they trade him?

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The Blue Jays are already pretty far back in the standings, if they decide to sell they have a lot of players teams want. For a short term bat that wouldn’t cost too much, I like Curtis Granderson. For a longer term play, Kevin Pillar is interesting.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

• First baseman Jose Abreu is “likely” to be the next player the White Sox trade, Cafardo writes. Even though the White Sox are rebuilding, they’ve continued to hold on to the 31-year-old Abreu, in part because he has emerged as a key mentor to their young players. Abreu would figure to garner interest from contenders, though, considering he’s having another big offensive season (.294/.366/.518 with eight HRs in 183 plate appearances) and under wraps through 2019.
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Snake Diggit likes this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Abreu makes a lot of sense for Houston. Lengthens the lineup. Houston tried for Abreu the first time around. Would allow Gurriel to fill Marwins role next season. Not sure what he’ll cost but Tucker, Whitley, and Alvarez should be off the table. Abreu for Martes, Davis, and Corbin Martin?

CF Springer
    LF Bregman
    2B Altuve
    SS Correa
    1B Abreu
    3B Gurriel
    RF Reddick
    C McCann
    DH Gattis
    Bench: Stassi, Fisher, Marwin

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I think he is this year's Verlander for the Astros. Obviously doesn't have Verlander's pedigree and playoff experience but he would provide an incredible boost to the offense. I'd be amazed if we could get him without including Tucker or Whitley.

Maybe Nova, Cionel Perez, and Alcala or Solis.

7. Buck Turgidson

What other teams would theoretically want to trade for him? Contenders that have a need he can fill?

8. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Red Sox, Yankees, Angels, Mariners all could use him.

9. Buck Turgidson

Considering he's only a DH/1B, I don't see it as a fit for any of those teams outside of the Yankees.

10. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

A consistent 300 hitter with 30 bombs and 100 RBIs under team control next year as well.....

I wonder if Luhnow will part with the prospects to get him. The White Sox tend to ask for the moon.

11. HTown2017Champs

No, and his contract is not cheap. The White Sox are notoriously tough to deal with (not to mention I HATE them), plus I think we've got plenty of in-house options to look at. If we need a rental bat, Lowrie, Moustakas, Beltre, and Cruz (if Seattle becomes a seller) are better options.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Abreu opted out. His contract is back to subject to arbitration and is affordable for the production. White Sox like toolsy prospects. It should be easier for Astros to deal with them if Astros are willing to deal toolsy prospects. Abreu isn't good enough for one of the top 3 prospects.

13. prospecthugger

Abreu opted in to arbitration to make more money, not less. His original contract would have paid him 11.5 million this year and 12 million next, while in arbitration he makes 13 million this year and probably 16+ next year. The White Sox haven't shown any inclination to trade him for a reasonable return citing his importance in the locker room.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Whether he makes more money is irrelevant as money to production and total amount versus other options is what matters in determining if a player is cheap. Of the guys he mentioned as options, Cruz and Beltre are definitely not cheaper in money to production and total money. For where the Astros would play Lowrie, Abreu would have the money to production edge over Lowrie (i.e., Lowrie's defensive edge is mitigated by Astros have good IFs) with Lowrie getting paid less. Abreu is under arbitration so Astros don't have to keep Abreu if they think arbitration rate will be bad. From a contract situation, I have a hard time seeing how Abreu is bad while Beltre and Cruz are not.

On CWS having no inclination on wanting to trade Abreu, there have been reports CWS are looking to trade him even though the CWS like his veteran presence around rookies. If there is no incliniation that Abreu may be traded, might as well lock this thread up.

15. raining threes

Money matters.

You want to lock up the trade options thread?

LOL

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yes, money matters. Beltre makes 18 million. Abreu makes $13 million. Which one is the cheaper option? I contend $13 million is less than $18 million. Abreu making more than he would have if he didn't opt out is not relevent as he did opt out and is still cheaper.

Abreu's name pops 5 times on MLBtraderumors.com's home page. If Abreu isn't worthy of trade talk, no one is. I would contend that Abreu is fair game and we should keep this thread open.

17. raining threes

Abreu is certainly worth talking about, I was just laughing at your comment about shutting down the trade options thread, I didn't mean to be offensive.

If you were Crane, would you rather rent Beltre after trading for him in July and owe him 7-9 mil. Or be on the hook for about 20 mil for a year and a half of Abreu.

18. prospecthugger

I mentioned the opting into arbitration making him more expensive because your comment seemed like it implied that him being in arbitration made him more affordable. He's almost certainly more valuable than Beltre, but that is going to be priced into the prospect cost. if the Rangers are asking for one of Armenteros/Paulino/Martes and an upside A ball pitcher for Beltre, that's probably not a deal that the Sox are going to accept for Abreu. I also never said that the Sox weren't open to trading him, just that so far they haven't seemed to be open to a reasonable trade. So sure, if the Astros are putting Tucker or Whitley on the table, he's absolutely gettable, but that's probably a non starter for the Astros.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Good news for us, since Mazara is no Correa.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Abreu opted out. There would be no hook on the Astros for next year...only on Abreu if the Astros want him.