1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

As a fan, I'd like to see it. As I've said before, it appears Sipp is not going to be used in any high leverage situation unless it is out of necessity. Their starters are keeping the bullpen from being overused. With Peacock and McHugh, they have two guys that can go many innings in case of extra long games (and generally there are only 1 or 2 of those in any season). Be nice to see them cut ties with Sipp (he certainly can't be in their 2019 plans) and eat the $4,000,000 or so remaining on his contract. Bring up White or Davis. Let them DH and give Yuli and Bregman a chance to rest by DH'ing and see if they can do better than Gattis.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It would seem simpler to just cut Gattis if he's being replaced as DH. Sipp's role as cannon fodder is more important than Gattis's role as a guy that can't be used to hit or play defense. I suspect Sipp and Gattis may get the Aoki treatment, but hopefully the prospect doesn't blossom like Teoscar (he's been decent).

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I would call up Davis and conjure up rotating DL stints for Sipp, Smith, Harris, and Rondon. If that can’t work then I agree, best plan is to release Sipp. I would deploy Davis everyday between DH and LF, essentially having Fisher and Gattis form a platoon. Marwin would spell the infielders and Marisnick would spell Springer and Reddick every 5th game while also serving as a late game defensive replacement in LF and pinch runner.

4. bobrek

That makes sense from a playing standpoint. (I just like Gattis better than Sipp :) ) The Astros could probably find a trade partner for Gattis if the Astros eat most of his salary for the rest of the year, especially an AL team that would like him in the role he had last year. Some DH, some catching.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I've kind of resigned myself to the fact that nothing is happening until Tucker comes up a month from now. I think there will be a domino effect and multiple moves will be made if Gattis, Fisher and Marisnick haven't shown something.

Joshfast and mikol13 like this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Gattis is really pushing the envelope, though. Fisher while still striking out a ton is oddly making himself playable the past couple of weeks.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Further, the Astros also have pitchers in the minor leagues that are more deserving than Sipp. So if the Astros need a reliever later in the year, they have other options.

Snake Diggit and raining threes like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

I brought the idea up of shortening the pen a couple of weeks ago and I believe it was Joe Joe who shat all over it. He was "shocked, shocked he said" that anyone would suggest you can have too much pitching, even if you do in fact have 1 extra pitcher. I'll just trust the team to do what they need to do.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yep. That is me. If you want to bring in more hitters because the guys up here suck, get rid of the guys that suck when it is the right time. I'd rather Devenski be getting manicures during the season from lack of use than risk having the him and the nearly the rest of the bullpen **** the bed in the playoffs again.

10. Buck Turgidson

Why can't we do both? It's not an irreversible roster move, unless you really want Sipp back later this year.

I get what you're saying though. I know it's early and June is a different time, and like I said I trust the team. Sometimes my spitball ideas work, sometimes they don't.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Fisher is only guy that can be sent down that isn't awesome so for the most part moves cause an irreversible roster move. I'm fine getting rid of Sipp and Gattis. I'd bring up another pitcher to replace him Sipp and a batter to replace Gattis (ugh, he's just keeps getting worse). 13 position players is fine here and there, but I am completely against it if the sole reason is to hide an unplayable batter.

Edit: I'm assuming some day the starters will have a bad day early and two arms in the pen are going to need to be sacrificed to appease the baseball gods.

12. Buck Turgidson

I looked the other day and asked if I was wrong, but I believe Gattis has options. Unless he doesn't, nobody confirmed or denied that for me/us.

Like I said, it's not an irrevocable move. Need a pitcher later? Ok.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He's got more than 5 years service time (I think). Options only apply for under 5 years service time.

Buck Turgidson and bobrek like this.
  14. bobrek

I assume that Gattis is considered to have 5+ years of service time, so, regardless of options, the Astros need him to consent to being sent down.

15. bobrek

You beat me by about a minute

Buck Turgidson and Joe Joe like this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Dammit. Exactly 5 as of January 2018 (per B-R)

OK, so much for my brilliant idea. DFA Sipp, call up a bat.

17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Make up some bs injury. Let him know he will do a "rehab" in Corpus. If not cut his ass. I love his persona, but he really hasn't been any good at all his entire time here when he is not behind the plate. Get Davis up now.

18. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Jed Lowrie as a potential trade acquisition for the Astros (See those "Third times a charm!" WS headlines)

But really the good veteran you want on a championship team, switch hitter and he's having an outstanding season. Would fit right in as the DH and could play all over the infield when called upon.

ideal postseason roster

C McCann, Stassi
    IF Yuli, Altuve, Correa, Bregman, Lowrie, Marwin (LF)
    OF Reddick, Springer, Tucker

Final spot: Fisher, Marisnick, JD Davis, Kemp, maybe another Cameron Maybin type player on the trade deadline/waiver wire.

SP Verlander, Keuchel, Cole, McCullers
    RP Giles, Devo, Peacock, Rondon, Smith, Harris, McHugh, Morton

FInal Spot: Sipp, Martes, Paulino, Hoyt, Guduan, Armenteros, FORREST?, C. Perez

raining threes likes this.
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t like Lowrie as a trade candidate, I would want a more consistently elite bat. But I do like the idea of signing him this offseason to replace Marwin, assuming Marwin is more expensive than Lowrie due to winner’s bump. Bats I would target:

Jose Abreu
    Miguel Cabrera (Tigers eat most of his contract)
    Nick Castellanos
    Khris Davis
    Adrian Beltre
    Manny Machado (mostly just to drive up his price)
    J.T. Realmuto
    Justin Bour

raining threes likes this.
  20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

My ideal playoff 40 man roster:

CF Springer
    3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    SS Correa
    DH TBD (Abreu, Castellanos, Cabrera, Beltre, etc.)
    RF Reddick
    1B Gurriel
    C McCann
    LF Marwin
    Bench: Davis, Stassi, Gattis, Marisnick

Rotation: Verlander, Cole, Keuchel
    High leverage multi-inning bullpen: Morton, McCullers, Peacock, McHugh
    Remaining bullpen: Devenski, Rondon, Giles, Smith, Harris

Traded/Released/DFA: Sipp
    AAA: Fisher, Kemp, White, Whitley*, Hoyt, Martes, Paulino, Guduan, Reed, Perez, Rodgers, Deetz, Gustave, Kyle Tucker*, Boshers

#3700 Snake Diggit, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018