1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. HTown2017Champs

Hoping San Francisco falls out of contention (DBacks and Rockies are strong, Dodgers have plenty of time to rebound) so we can bring Hunter Pence back home to be the new DH.

2. Buck Turgidson

Oh sweet jesus please no.

3. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

The craziest part is this guy was a “franchise player” for us while he was here and in reality he was never that great (his BB% rates were awful and his power didn’t offset that). Now look at our team - even in his prime with us he’s basically our Gurriel.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

For someone on SF, I'd want Belt. It would give Astros a nice left-handed bat to replace Gattis.

BMoney likes this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I’d say his value was more on par with Reddick. But he looks done.

6. HTown2017Champs

Well clearly our #1 need is LEFT HANDED reliever. Bullpen looks good, but it's missing that last piece, a lefty. DH may not be an issue, maybe we can call up one of the AAA guys, have him and Yuli alternate between 1B and DH, and that's that. As for Beltre, not a fan of shipping prospects to the division rival.

7. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think that left handed reliever is clearly our number one need. We need a corner outfielder that can actually hit or if that is too specific, a quality bat.

If I am looking to make a move in the pen, it is just to add another high end reliever.

As far as sending prospects to Texas for Beltre, it depends on the prospects that would need to be moved.

We really need to maximize the next several years, without being foolishly overpaying.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why can't Giles learn to throw left handed?

- DD

msn, BigMaloe, awc713 and 2 others like this.
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm guessing Astros already have at least an average bat that can play corner OF in the system. Maybe, it is Tucker. Maybe, it is Alvarez. Maybe it is Marwin.

Smacktle and Nook like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Perhaps, but Alvarez is in AA right now and Tucker has an OPS south of .750 in AAA.

My guess would be that the Astros get an above average bat at the deadline and it doesn't cost them any of their better prospects.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Tucker is making good contact on the ball. I doubt Astros care that much that his OPS isn't great at the moment as they know he has power. On Alvarez, AAA is just a stop for polishing for great hitting prospects that don't have contact issues. Like Tucker, his power isn't flashing at the moment (doesn't get loft as well as Tucker), but he's making even better contact than Tucker. I'm thinking Gattis is the one that needs to be sweating regarding Astros acquiring an above-average bat.

Edit: On Alvarez, Astros may want to keep him down until he starts getting more loft on the ball. Right now, he looks like a Derek Bell. Hits the ball hard, but only hits a decent amount of homers.

#3631 Joe Joe, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Depending on how well Marwin and Gattis hit between now and the deadline another bat may or may not be an issue. Right now it seems we have 2 dead spots in the order, neither at at premium defensive position. I suspect Marwin will be okay, not 2017 level, but good enough, I'm less confident in DH Gattis.You can go ahead and throw Tucker in with those 2. He will have a few months to have shown anything. There's also the possibility of injury between the deadline and the postseason.

Competent offensive DH/LF's are a dime a dozen, particularly in this buyer's market. If there are still any question marks we should go ahead and add one. Gattis is feeling like a likely candidate to be shipped out, his consistently poor production as a DH is extremely hard to write off at this point.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'd agree as Gattis, if he continues to not hit and Stassi does, is surplus to requirements. I'd expect them to eventually bring up Tucker and also trade for an improvement at DH. They can find a veteran bat before the deadline. Once the real standings start to shake out, we'll know who's going to be available. It feels like we're deeper in this season than we really are with that early start.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Good hitters on non contenders:
    Realmuto
    Bour
    Machado
    Abreu
    Moustakas
    Merrifield
    Beltre
    Choo
    Barnhart
    Votto

Tigers, Giants, Pirates, and A’s could join the list and they each have several players who might make sense. There are also quite a few guys who have been good in the past who are current struggling (Chris Davis, Adam Jones, Duda, Gordon) so if they turn it around the list could grow. Abreu makes some sense to add as a DH (and can play 1B next year as Gurriel shifts to fill Marwin’s role). I also wouldn’t be opposed to adding Choo if the price was low.

15. Buck Turgidson

Rent Machado, put Bregman in LF

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Hell, DH him if Tucker is up.

Bregman would be the best defensive DH in the history of the DH.

Smacktle likes this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Luhnow: For Machado, we will beat the Yankees in the playoffs for a third time and throw in AJ Reed and JD Davis.
    Angelos: Sounds good. Let me make a move to free up a 40-man roster spot.
    Day before deadline
    Angelos: Psych! I'm just going to keep him. July Fools!

#3637 Joe Joe, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

this would be a pretty sick lineup for the 2nd half of 2018 and all of 2019:

CF Springer
    3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    SS Correa
    1B Abreu
    RF Tucker
    LF Reddick
    DH Gurriel
    C Stassi

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Bregman to 2nd, Altuve to DH.

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It's comical that people think one of the smartest, most forward-thinking front offices in baseball uses the same surface-level stats to evaluate their players as the average fan. Yeah, sure...

His strikeout rate is falling, now down to 15%. Bregman and Correa were both around 10-12% when they were promoted. I know that's one of the stats they definitely use.

What a crazy idea..... I posted two weeks ago..................