1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The main issue with thus theory is that you can plan for when his arm is gonna go down. Had we made the playoffs in 2016 he wouldn't have been available, and he just made it back in the last week this season.

If there was a guarantee 120 innings-3.00 ERA (with a midseason break) vs 200 innings-4.00 ERA, I would take the shorter more dominant guy. But the only seeming guarantee is that LMJ will miss significant time....at some point. That's a dangerous game of roulette.

I tend to feel that if you told Archer just go out there for 5 innings as good as you can instead of pacing himself, his numbers would probably be better.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

WAR takes into account longevity as well as performance.

In the end, like most here, I’ll take guaranteed participation with a chance for excellence vs. possible excellence with only a chance of guaranteed participation.

I also don’t think the metrics between archer and LMJ are as far apart as you think they are, other than the ability to stay healthy.

And if it’s LMJ in bullpen for playoffs only vs Archer starting the entire year, the gap widens further.

Lance needs to just stay healthy to allay most concerns with him.

3. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

pw1993 and raining threes like this.
  5. raining threes

Supporting Member

Probably gonna have to be one or the other.

Unless you add a top 20 prospect with McHugh.

I would like Pazos for McHugh