1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yeah; my guess, if they're interested in Realmuto, it's these two numbers:
    34 | 26
    $35MM | (club control through '21)

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't disagree with anything here. I disagreed with implication that 4.34 ERA season ago is limiting McHugh's value. He's likely better than everyone on their staff except Nelson if he was healthy. McHugh has real value if he can pass another team's physical.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Santana is young, cheap and has potential - but he also has a short track record. A lot of people likely had the same high valuation on Villar after his breakout season last year and he crashed in '17.

Remember, any pitcher better than McHugh would be considered an above-average starting pitcher; may be even upper-echelon above average, and at that point, I'm not sure Santana alone would be enough.

4. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Not to mention Miller is a pretty extreme hitters park.

5. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I'm not interested in trading McHugh. The Astros used 11 starters last year and we already gave up Fiers and Musgrove.

McHugh, Peacock, Martes, and Paulino will probably all be needed and maybe more. Three of our rotation guys in Keuchel, McCullers, and Morton all have regular injury concerns.

kaleidosky likes this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Peacock, Martes, Armenteros, Paulino, Rogers, and Whitley are the best set of starters 6-11.

raining threes likes this.
  7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I just wonder if there is any way Pittsburgh could be convinced to trade Felipe Rivero as a young closer. He would help the Astros this year, but even more if Giles leaves. But I don't know how much the Astros would be willing to give up.

pw1993 likes this.
  8. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I wouldn't hesitate for a second putting Peacock in there right away. The others still need seasoning.

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Where is Giles going? Is he part of SpaceX?

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Whether or not those other guys need a pinch of Oregano or not, I take them over the Luke Farrells, Brock Stewarts and Shawn Morimandos that other contenders will have to put out there if things get dicey with rotation health.

11. pw1993

pw1993 Member

Adding Rivero would make the Astros bullpen downright scary. I wouldn't move Whitley or Tucker for him but I'd be willing to give up Alvarez and Bukauskas, plus two lower level prospects (depending on what gaps the Reds feel like they need to fill most right now).

12. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I’d view these prospects as off the table: Whitley, Tucker, Martes, Alvarez, Bukauskas, C Perez, maybe a few others that would be haggled with. All figure to play prominent roles for the Astros as they look to plug holes of expensive vet contracts coming off the books over the next few years like Reddick, Yuli, Keuchel, Gattis, Verlander, Cole, etc and replacing them with rookie scale contracts and flipping that into keeping Marwin, Altuve, Springer, etc

Paulino, Reed, Fisher, Kemp, etc are the type of players comparable to what the Astros gave up for Cole and I’d imagine could find a non-contending team looking to shed luxury tax or have more for next years FA market with someone else that fits a need moving forward (Closer, C, LF, DH)

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Fisher is likely comparable to Musgrove and Moran. He could be a trade headliner. I think Astros want to roll the dice with him at least early in the season as he has a chance to be an impact player for cheap. Reed and Kemp are just thrown ins and the Pirates likely picked who they thought was best of the Astros bargain bin of thrown in level guys.

Paulino is weird. I view him as a lesser Musgrove. Someone I think will be better in the pen. Like Musgrove and Moran, he has some value, but it is spread out over a few years including 2018 and 2019. A rebuilding team would need to believe they are going to bounce back quick to want him. He may top out as an up and down pitcher for which a contender like the Astros probably values the most. That said, Pirates did trade for Musgrove and Moran who had similar problems, but they are likely viewed a lot more positively going forward. I don't think there are many teams willing to go the Pirates route.

14. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

McHugh to Baltimore for Hunter Harvey and Chris Lee, or to Minnesota for Tyler Jay and Alex Kiriloff.

16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The Giles comment was my mistake. I knew his contract was through 2018 and didn't realize he has two arbitration years years left. Still, you can't have too many dominant closers!

17. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Put this here too.

18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Was he a super 2 this season? Unless he was, he should be a FA after 2020. I'm surprised that Tucker is even being considered seriously as a trade piece after protecting him in previous negotiations. Is Reamuto THAT GOOD?

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Who says Tucker is being seriously considered? According to the tweet, Miami is asking for him. I strongly suspect Detroit and Pittsburgh asked for him as well.

20. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

This is what the tweet says:
    I can see where people read the "Astros are considering" as they are considering Tucker