1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. craigharmann

craigharmann Member

So what do we need to give up to get Realmuto?

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Brewers also sign Cain for $80M/5yrs. I assume they’re going for a stacked OF, so their OF would be Braun/Cain/Yelich (pretty salty). But that means Broxton, Santana, and Phillips are all probably available. McHugh for Santana?

I’m not all that optimistic about what the Brewers are doing. I suppose if they sign Darvish they’ll be able to compete for the WC. But I don’t see them being very strong in the IF or in the rotation.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Sadly I don’t think Houston could get him without giving up Tucker or Whitley. The best package I’d offer would be Fisher, Martes, Stassi, and 2 3rd tier guys (maybe H Perez and Alcala).

4. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Are the Brewers not high on Santana? Why are they trying to trade him? He's good, young, and cheap.
    Like your sister.

5. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Brian McCann .241 18 hr 62 rbi in 349 AB’s

Realmuto .272 17 hr 65 rbi in 532 AB’s

Those are not the type of numbers you look to upgrade a position with one of your two best prospects.

Astros can benefit from this year’s market of teams trying to stay under the luxury tax and/or save big for next years monster class of free agents. I’m more than fine giving Stassi a shot but if they have concerns about him, sign Lucroy and keep the prospects that will extend the championship window a few more seasons

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm highly confident that those are not the numbers the Astros look at.

MrBear1 likes this.
  7. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I’m aware I’m just too lazy too look up/post advanced metrics that probably run parallel in comparison

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Who says they are trying to trade him?

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

What he said. Even with Broxton and Braun, they could play him at DH. Oh wait, I forgot they weasled their way into the NL and had their owner boot another team to the AL a couple years later. My bad.

#3529 Joe Joe, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    newAge_Rockets likes this.
  10. awc713

awc713 Member

Wonder if they actually look to move Braun. Could see an AL team go for him.

11. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

bobrek likes this.
  12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Just not sure McHugh is worth a prospect as good as Phillips much less Santana. McHugh has between $5M and $20M in surplus value depending on how he’s evaluated. If Houston can’t find a team wanting to swap a LF or RP of similar value, then their best bet is to flip him for a super high ceiling prospect in the lower levels. In Milwaukee’s case, I’d be happy with any 2 of Caden Lemons, Kodi Medeiros, Mario Feliciano, Larry Ernesto, Brendan Murphy, Carlos Rodriguez, or JeVan Ward.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If the Astros wanted Braun, I'm sure we could have him pretty cheap. They want out from that contract (34 and still owed 60 million), and they have a glut of OF's and no DH to work with.

Only question is what level of prospect they would want to eat some salary, because we aren't taking on that contract outright.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Braun’s contract really isn’t that onerous. Less than $60M over 3 years is probably pretty close to what he could’ve secured on the free agent market. Carlos Santana oye como va’ed his way to a similar contract and Braun has been a slightly more productive offensive player over the total of the last 3 seasons (although he’s a little younger than Braun).

Braun and $15M for McHugh would be a good deal for both sides in my opinion.

16. Nook

Nook Member

That is an interesting question. Last year he was a sub 2 war and at his age, the question is whether he had a down year or if he is declining.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Without digging too deep I’d guess it was at least partially just a down year. His 2017 iso, k and bb rates were in line with both his career norms and his excellent 2015/2016. His babip in 2017 was significantly lower last season than his norm (.326). I suspect Milwaukee is going to hang on to him as their lineup gets a lot thinner without him and I don’t think the money is a big issue for them, but I do think both teams could benefit from a McHugh/Braun swap.

18. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

If we wanted Santana from Milwaukee, we would be looking at giving up Peacock and not McHugh. I can't imagine the Brewers would even consider McHugh for Santana. I like McHugh, but let's be honest here, he threw 63 innings last year and the year before had a 4.34 era. Yes I know they look at advanced numbers and all of that, but a 30 year old coming off a 63 inning season and a mid 4's era the previous year, for a 25 year old with great on base skills coming off a 30 HR season, probably isn't what the Brew Crew would be interested in. I'm not sure if Peacock would get it done, but he is a year younger, has an extra year of control and is coming off of a great season.

Personally, I wouldn't want to give up Peacock with his versatility, but adding a guy like Santana and his on base skills and power to what is an already stacked lineup, and letting Marwin be the true utility guy and not try to force him into LF, might be worth it

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

While I doubt Santana for McHugh works straight up due to injury and years of control, you make it sound like a 4.34 ERA isn't above average for a starting pitcher. Pitchers typically see their ERA/FIP/xFIP/Sierra improve by about half a run when going from the AL to the NL. Brewers would want a pitcher capable of putting up an ERA/FIP/xFIP/Sierra of 4.34 in the AL if injury and years were different.

20. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I'm pretty confident the Brewers could get a more highly sought out pitcher than McHugh for Santana. Again, i like McHugh, we are incredibly lucky to have a guy like him as an "extra" starter, he would be in most playoff teams rotations. Doesn't mean he could be the key piece in a deal for a guy like Santana though

As for Braun, how much better is he as a DH than Gattis? I wouldn't want three years of that contract when we are going to be trying to sign Keuchel, Morton, Marwin after next year and Jose the next. I'm not opposed to adding long term money, but it would need to be someone in a lot better spot than Braun right now