1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

No one said deal them at $0.50 on the dollar, but their value now is their value and it is pretty damn good. Marlins should be able to get some great help for future. Very unlikely Realmuto improves enough that his value at deadline will cover the lose of 1/2 a season. Yelich could improve or decline, but his value is already so high that it is a risk to wait.

2. Buck Turgidson

"**** it Dude, let's go bowling."

2 months from 2 months from now...I'll start worrying.

Nook likes this.
  3. Jeremy Williams

They should be favored to beat ANY team from the last decade of teams in the league. This is one nasty looking squad.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Rumor Milwaukee is about to make a trade got me thinking, what about Ryan Braun? How about:

Astros get:
    OF Ryan Braun
    $10M

Brewers get:
    RHP Collin McHugh

Milwaukee gets the starter they need and sheds salary, and Houston adds a potentially elite bat without adding much salary or giving up any prospects.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Signing Cain would be near same cost, Cain is a better player, and Astros could deal McHugh for someone else.

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

You think Cain will sign for ~$45M/3yrs??? If so I agree with you but I highly doubt Cain gets less than $70M. Also, Cain has a QO attached so would cost a draft pick.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Draft pick cost is going to hurt him in the money department, but pick cost is less than trading McHugh, especially if McHugh is valued anything close to Cole. My guess is Cain gets about 3/50 or 4/65, but thinking he has a hard time getting 4 years in this market. Even at 4/65 or 4/75, would take the better player for a little more with being able to keep or trade McHugh for something else.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

McHugh, Hoyt, Reed, and a scrappy prospect for Knebel.

Hey, it worked for Cole.

in seriousness, I could see Brewers wanting McHugh. Besides for RPs, not much there probably to be excited about on their MLB team. Braun's bat would be nice at DH, but not sure Brewers would eat enough salary.

9. pw1993

pw1993 Member

Knebel is exactly the guy I'd target too in a Brewers deal. Not sure if they would consider dealing him in the offseason though.

Brewers are very weak at 2nd base (Basically Villar and a couple subs). I'd offer them Kemp as an upgrade to Villar who can also play some OF, which might be useful if Lewis Brinson doesn't work out and the Brewers don't end up acquiring a FA OF.

I'd propose McHugh and Kemp for Knebel and be willing to add a reliever (Guduan, Hoyt, Gustave) if necessary. They get, at the very least two years of McHugh and 6 years of Kemp; we get 4 years of Knebel. At that point, we have the best bullpen aside from the Yankees'.

10. pw1993

pw1993 Member

Darvish is saying the Brewers have made him an offer. If he takes it and they also trade for McHugh, I guess the Brewers rotation would look something like:

Darvish - projected 2018 WAR of 3.6
    Anderson - 1.7
    McHugh - 0.7
    Davies - 1.8
    Woodruff - 1.5
    Reserves (Chacin/Nelson/Gallardo) - ~2.0

At a total SP rotation WAR of 11.3, the Brewers would rank #17 of the 30 ML clubs, up from #21 currently. Fangraphs projects McHugh to only throw 63 innings this year but if he stays off the DL he could easily throw 120-150, which would give him a shot at WAR of at least 1.5.

It's just hard for me to see the Brewers taking such a hit to their bullpen at this stage - come July, though, if they aren't competing well against the Cubs/Cards/Bucs, they may well consider moving Knebel if it helps them solve bigger problems.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Cole received a significant AL penalty and Musgrove received a significant NL bonus on the Steamer projections after the trade. Considering McHugh would be going to same division as Musgrove, I would expect a similar bump that would put his projected WAR around 2.5 with the additional innings.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

#3512 J.R., Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    craigharmann and mikol13 like this.
  13. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

Not a baseball expert but that seems like quite a haul. Their top-rated Baseball America prospect and two off the top 100 national list. Not sure how the Astros could've matched that without yielding Tucker or Whitley.

14. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Thank god we can get back to reality now. Astros will not budge with Tucker or Whitley.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Without looking too much at the deal, it looks like a good job by both teams. Brewers get a great player. Marlins have gone from no one on the farm in a short time to being able to suit up half a team if all their top 100 prospects pan out.

16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Wow.

17. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

That moment when you get more for Yelich than what you received for Stanton...

COLLUSION

craigharmann likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Uh, what?

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Marlins got ~$265 Million worth of savings for trading Stanton. That's worth a hell of a lot more than what they got from the Brewers.

20. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Trade MVP, you get savings... great! fantastic! But the return was dreadful. Supposedly Giants had a better offer on table. Jeter helps former team out. It was a joke tho.

I forget Astros forum is devoid of humor.