1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Stats Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not sure where to put this, but Hardball Times included Nolan Ryan as a player hard to comp.
    5714 strikeouts. The active leader, Colon, isn't even close to half that with 2423.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/the-ten-players-who-vex-me-the-most/

Nolan Ryan
    Pitcher X throws hard. Pitcher X gets hurt. Inevitably, someone will complain about “why can’t pitchers today throw hard and stay healthy like Nolan Ryan?”

No pitcher has ever come close to Ryan’s durability and strikeout production. What Ryan did was unbelievable. He was gifted with the greatest right arm in baseball’s history. Maybe someone will get another one, but so far no one has received the gift.

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

[​IMG]

No wonder games are so long these days.

Nook likes this.
  4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

What do you interpret for this?

More discerning hitters? Taking more pitches? Striking out more? More foul balls working counts?

At least its not simply batters stepping out of the box...

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Hitters just seem to be taking more and more pitches these days. A lot of hitters almost outright refuse to swing at the first pitch. I thought that a I read somewhere that K's are up almost 25% just in the last decade. Oddly walk rates have remained steady (come down a little if anything), so there's no correlation with taking more pitches creating more walks. Often the first pitch you see will be the best pitch you see, yet some simply won't swing at it.

Plus we are getting more relievers than ever, meaning more time consuming pitching changes. The specialized relief nukes are also playing into the K rates.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

More strikeouts/less contact/more swinging strikes, more time between pitches, more relievers, and more homers per contact(at least very recently). I know the baseball commissioner has mentioned the time between pitches, but I don't see a solution to the more Ks and relievers. Homers may get back to normal on their own.

7. Nook

Nook Member

I think with hitters being more selective pitchers that cannot consistently find the strike zone are not ever making it to the big leagues, when in the past they would be able to get hitters to chase outside the zone, especially if they had really good velocity or movement.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Overall swing rate is near unchanged over last 16 years, but batters are swinging more a lot more at balls and a lot less at strikes. My guess is increased velocity has made batters decide quicker on what is a ball and a strike leading to them being wrong more often.

Hitters are about same at making contact with strikes and have gotten a lot better at hitting balls. Overall contact rate has gone down as batters are swinging at balls more often.

First pitch strike is only up slightly (2 percentage points or about 4% increase) over that period.

Pitchers are throwing less strikes than ever. I don't think it is that they can't throw strikes. It is that they know hitters have to decide quickly and are deciding wrong more than ever.

Swinging strike is up 9.6% to 10.4% over last 16 years. Only 1 percentage point, but about a 10% increase.

Nook likes this.
  9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I dont have any facts(stats) to back it up, but my sense is its tied to the ongoing competitiveness of the game itself. Pitchers trying to find advantage over hitters and the reverse. Both sides taking more time. Being more thorough. More focused. Trying to take the other off his game. Mess with their timing and such.

10. Buck Turgidson

Derek Fisher has made 11.8 boneheaded plays so far this year.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Nook likes this.
  12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

14. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

lol I don't think they needed to include Liriano in that tweet.

That's a "one of these doesn't belong" moments.

15. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

The biggest problem with the bullpen right now seems to be allowing inherited runners to score, not ERA.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think the biggest problem is the offense stakes a big enough lead, and all year, the last men in the bullpen (Martes, Feliz, Hoyt, Guadan) don't seem to be able to hold it well.

It's a good problem to have. I expect Giles/Devo/Harris/Musgrove to be able to lock down all meaningful bullpen innings in the post-season.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

http://thecomeback.com/mlb/why-houston-astros-can-win-world-series.html

If there is one crack in the Astros’ armor, it’s the team’s defense. Houston is one of the worst fielding teams in baseball. The only two players that grade out as above average defensively by both UZR and DRS are Josh Reddick and George Springer (when he’s in center field, not right). The rest of the Astros’ regulars grade out as average or worse in one or both of those categories, a list led by Springer in right (-7 DRS, -11.8 UZR/150), Yuli Gurriel at first (-5, -8.1), and Alex Bregman at third (-3, -5.4).

Yikes

19. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I've watched damn near every game this season, and not once have I thought that we were a bad defensive team. I mean sure, we make errors here and there, but I would have never thought we were statistically that poor. Interesting.

BigMaloe likes this.
  20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Yuli is worse than the stats show. A bad 1B makes the rest of the infield defense look worse because he does a poor job of fielding throws (not terrible with short hops, but doesn't stretch and has terrible footwork for receiving throws). I'm also unsure how defensive stats are effected by the number of shifts we employ. I would say most of team is average defensively outside of Yuli.