1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros are in talks with Bregman on a possible extension. UPDATE: Six years, $100 million.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marteen, Mar 19, 2019.

1. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

That article is dece

biff17 likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

TTFU

mikol13 and desihooper like this.
  3. the shark

the shark Member

FANTASTIC article!!!

Bregman is special (on the field and off).

4. HTM

HTM Member

:rolleyes:

5. awc713

awc713 Member

Story has already been posted but what a photo!

MadMax and mikol13 like this.
  6. SemisolidSnake

This seems like an absolute steal, honestly. I am thrilled at the prospect of 6 more years of MVP contender Alex Bregman. Give me a core of Bregman and Altuve for this team's future, and do whatever you deem best with everyone else, Luhnow. I trust you.

Marteen likes this.
  7. vince

vince Member

I think after Correa had his break through season, there was talk about him being the first 1/2 billion dollar contract (500 million +). I doubt his agent would have dreamed of giving the Astros any semblance of a discount/deal.... Now Correa just had a very humbling season, so much that it puts into question if he truly is the MVP type guy most see him as. I can see why he won’t make the extension now, but if he starts the season we’ll, he should tell his agent to iron out some security first....

Nook and Snake Diggit like this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Your post reads like its all up to Correa to accept an offer. While that may have been the case at one point, it probably isn't now. Starting the season off well, while good for Correa and the Astros, isn't going to alleviate all his health concerns in of itself. And perhaps more importantly, the Astros have already invested future money in Altuve and now Bregman. I hate to say it, but it may be the case that Correa's window has already closed for anything like a $500M deal, regardless of how well things go in 2019.

We already have doubled down on two infielders, I would be very surprised to see the Astros make a 3rd big extension on another infielder. I would think the conversation has to turn to pitching at some point in regards to spending more future money on long expensive contracts.

9. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wonder what Bud Norris thinks?

MadMax, vince and donkeypunch like this.
  10. Johnbutte

Johnbutte Member

Pretty fair and reasonable deal all around. Remember that this only adds 2 additional years of control. He was going to be with the Astros for the next 4 years no matter what.

11. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

12. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I get the feeling this is going to stick around here.

desihooper and Buck Turgidson like this.
  13. Johnbutte

Johnbutte Member

Always take the money. Anyone who says 280 in 4 years doesn't understand critical concepts of risk management, time value of money, or compound interest.

14. Mattician

Mattician Member

Awesome.

I've always thought Correa would leave for NY, LA, or another bigger market.

CK Johnson and Marteen like this.
  15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

There’s no way they aren’t offering Correa that deal. I’d almost guarantee they offered him more by virtue of being closer to FA

BigM likes this.
  16. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Draft and development patterns as well as trades tell me the Astros are planning on growing and developing their own aces, and jumping on reclamation projects they think they can coach up. I think they are probably right.
    I don’t see them spending big money on pitchers. As long as they keep pumping out pitching prospects and turning Colin mchughs and Charlie Morton’s into upper tier pitchers I’m fine with that idea and investing in keeping the home grown bats as part of the core.
    Also, they (bats) are less risky, more predictable and I’m sure that appeals to JL who isn’t a gambler and understands failure level and the importance of getting a bunch of chances.

17. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I kind of agree, but then I remember the interview with Crane a few weeks back. He said nothing was more important to him that having great pitching. They'll offer Verlander a deal no doubt, but I honestly think Cole is going to have another outstanding year and we won't be able the afford him, plus its known he loves the West Coast.

18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

They are way more likely to sign JV than Cole, imo, because at JV’s age you could totally see a 3/80 type deal whereas I can’t imagine Cole not wanting 6 or 7 years and that’s just too much gamble, I’d bet, for JL on a pitcher.

IowaAstro and LonghornFan like this.
  19. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Having JV around to help coach and teach guys like Whitley is invaluable imo.

IowaAstro likes this.
  20. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow. Great article but TERRIBLE picture. He looks like has has dysentery...and is locked in a sauna.

Snake Diggit likes this.