1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros agree to deal with Hector Rondon

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 15, 2017.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Didn't realize that awc713 posted Rosenthal's tweet in the Offseason thread.

#1 tellitlikeitis, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    awc713 and msn like this.
  2. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Yes please. Stockpile arms.

vince likes this.
  3. vince

vince Member

The bullpen is starting to look like it's trending up; I am like king these moves. Though I'll add that the group in the bullpen did fabulously last year, but they wore down because the starters suffered through a lot of injuries.

Never the less, the Astros are bringing in some talented dudes to shore up the current guys who make up the bullpen. Competition sorts out the doubt whether it is mental or physical.

4. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

5. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I like getting a guy coming off a down year that is 29 with good experience. He has saved games and has post season resume though he has been touched up a bit. Relievers are so hit and miss from year to year. Need that lefty still!

No Worries likes this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I like this move more than Joe Smith. Either way, Houston has 5 arms capable of late inning Work:
    Giles
    Rondon
    Harris
    Smith
    Devenski

Plus Musgrove and Peacock, who both should be extremely effective and can throw multiple innings. That leaves one spot, presumably for a lefty (Sipp, Gose, or a future acquisition).

Anxious to see what the 40 man move will be.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Wouldn't be too surprised to see something happen with Hoyt. He's redundant.

9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Financials are in:

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I love the fact that Smith and Rondon have playoff experience. Big deal. We saw how terrified some of our relievers looked in the playoffs.

11. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

12. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I love this move. Rondon has a backend arm and I trust Strom to get the most out of him. A secondary effect is that this frees Hinch to be able to use Devenski and Harris in matchups against LHH if necessary.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. awc713

awc713 Member

I thought Strom was retiring soon?

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

I think these are good moves. We don't need bats right now. Although Marsnick and Gonzalez may regress next year but we need to see if they can keep up first before trying to make any additions to the lineup. Starting pitching wise there's not much out there either besides throwing a lot of money at Darvish.

Just adding possible good bullpen arms is definitely what we need to do.

I'm guessing among relievers? Cause Verlander certainly throws harder and I think Morton did too, or at least in the playoffs. Maybe a bit slower over the season.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Average velocities for Morton and Verlander over entire game are slightly slower than Rondon's average velocity for what is usually an inning.

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

massive! love Rondon at this price.

Let's get something or other for P Tucker. Love the guy, but happy to move on too

18. vince

vince Member

This move is almost like flip of Gregerson for Rondon. Both have shown inconsistency the past 2 years, but have had some successful stretches.

Gregerson got 11 millon for 2 years. Rondon gets 8.5 million.

I was ready to see Gregerson get a new scenery. But let it not be underestimated what he did for the franchise. He, Pat Nesek, and Qualls helped stabilize the abismal bullpen in 2015; free agents that looked at Houston when everyone else shunned the Astros. And that playoff experience was invaluable to this current team that just won.

awc713, kaleidosky and bobrek like this.
  19. Hemo_jr

Hemo_jr Member

I hear the Marlins have a couple of outfield spots opened. And Tucker is remembered as a Tiger killer (and they have had luck with released Astros in the past.) As a member of the 40-man roster, he should get at least a ring, and maybe a share (they are giving out at least 60+ of those).
    [​IMG]

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Considering he was not on the 25 man roster at any point in 2017, I doubt they vote him a share. They spread extra shares among team employees, clubhouse guys, etc.