1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Acquire Aledmys Díaz

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 17, 2018.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

*Originally posted by JR in the main Offseason Thread, but reposting so that it doesn't get buried

Well... farewell, Marwin.

Diaz's career stats from Baseball Reference

Diaz is arbitration-eligible for the first time in 2020 and will not hit free agency until 2023.

#1 tellitlikeitis, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not a big Thorton fan, so getting an actual MLB utility player seems like a steal.

kaleidosky, Nook, BigMaloe and 2 others like this.
  3. texans1095

texans1095 Member

This is a really good trade. Provides some of the same versatility Marwin did. Should benefit from hitting in a stronger lineup than he ever did in Toronto or St. Louis. Really like this trade. I imagine this all but guarantees Marwin will be playing somewhere other than Houston next season.

Houstunna, kaleidosky and CisBuds4U like this.
  4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

His defensive metrics as a SS aren't good, but he's had pretty solid offensive numbers overall for an infielder. Either we have another move planned, or we aren't targeting a 1B. Could just be Luhnow grabbing a useful player without knowing for sure what the offseason has in store.

Trent Thornton was a rule 5 candidate, so we had to do something with him. Suprised we seemingly got an actual player for him, and not just a fringe guy.

vince, kaleidosky, BigMaloe and 2 others like this.
  5. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Agreed — his stats and versatility are nearly identical to Marwin. Does he have the same “intangibles” that made Marwin such a good glue guy ? We shall see . But I don’t really see a role for both of them on the team so likely Marwin is moving on and cashing in. That would suck but Aledys could be the next Marwin and frees up cash for bigger free agents

raining threes likes this.
  6. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

This is a really good trade. Love it!

raining threes likes this.
  7. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He's a doubles machine.
    Will definitely have to hit against the shift.
    Most HRs to left ... Crawford boxes
    We've seen guys explode in year 4 and 5 before
    Could hit 20-30 HRs in 2019 + 20-30 doubles
    Great value trade.

Shark44 and raining threes like this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I’ve seen him labeled as a “poor man’s Marwin” but I actually think he’s just “another Marwin” with the possibility of being a “rich man’s Marwin”. I liked Thornton but this is a great trade assuming Diaz fits in the clubhouse. I do wonder how it impacts the potential for adding an elite bat.

Houstunna and vince like this.
  9. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Why would it impact getting an elite bat? Diaz is pre arb, at least that’s what spot trac says.

Maybe you mean it eats a roster spot, so yuli stays at 1B. We can still get nelson Cruz at DH and or Ramos at C

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Astros aren't gonna sign the ancient Nelson Cruz and send Tyler White back to AAA after what he did last season.

edit. Don't even think White has options, so a trade has to happen before they would sign Cruz unless they view Diaz as a AAA backup plan.

vince and Snake Diggit like this.
  11. awc713

awc713 Member

Looks like a value that was just too good to pass up. Diaz was an All-Star in 2016 as a rookie. He had a rough 2017 campaign, but regained his form in 2018. Clearly a cheap replacement for Marwin, albeit with with perhaps little or no downgrade. Maybe Diaz really takes off in this lineup. In Luhnow I trust. Sad to see Marwin go, but surely those resources will be allocated elsewhere. Excited to see how all of the moves will look together when it's all said and done. Diaz will fit in nicely with the rest of our team. I still think we'll land a big player this off-season. I could see our offseason being Diaz + resigning DK + trading for Perez.

SP: JV, Cole, Kuechel, McHugh, James
    Pen: Osuna, Pressly, Peacock, Harris, Devo, Smith (+ one of competition from Rodgers, Valdez, Perez, etc.)
    C: Perez, Stassi
    IF: Yuli, Altuve, Correa, Bregman
    OF: Springer, Reddick, Kemp
    DH: White
    BN: Diaz, Marisnick, (+ outsourced player or Tucker/Davis)

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He seems like an above average utility player, and Thornton seems like a AAAA arm. Given he has a few more years pre free agency, seems like a good move.

13. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I think Jeff Luhnow signed Aledmys Diaz as a teen with the Cardinals.

14. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

I know nothing about him but based on stats and comments, I like the trade. I know it looks like he's a Marwin replacement but any chance he's the DH? And when we need to rest players, have him play an IF position if needed?

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

16. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I like it.

1. Astros gave up very little

2. Diaz can play the Marwin role

3. Backup that gives you options in case Correa's back problems continue

4. Not that expensive and the Astros will control him for 4 seasons.

kaleidosky and Nook like this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yes, I mean that he is another player with a guaranteed roster spot, which makes 10:

Stassi
    Gurriel
    Altuve
    Correa
    Bregman
    Diaz
    White
    Reddick
    Springer
    Marisnick

Basically, the addition of Diaz means that barring a surprising trade, there’s no room to add a bat who can’t play LF, as as adding a DH/1B would push White or Gurriel off the roster. And adding a LF means no place for Tucker.

18. raining threes

Marwin wasn't a good defensive SS last year either.

Diaz will come at a fraction of the cost of Marwin and to think they got Diaz for the cost of guy they were going to lose in Rule 5 anyways.

Great deal

Snake Diggit likes this.
  19. raining threes

Trust me, if they can add another big bat this wont be an issue. There's still room to add 3 or 4 more position players, depending on whether they want to carry 11-12 pitchers.

20. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Reminds me of Morey and Chandler Portions. You find the Marwins, you don’t pay for them.

CrushCity, Shark44 and raining threes like this.