1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros AAA going back to Round Rock

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Nachobar, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

We did the same thing. I still consider buying the Kid's Club deal each year, even though my kids are grown.

2. Buck Turgidson

FYI: Fresno will be in RR June 16-19

3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd love for Austin to become an Astros town again. It's a shame that our terrible years coincided with the Rangers' best stretch and the Express switching to being an Arlington affiliate (Plus Fox Sports SW gaining the Rangers' rights and the Astros being unaired outside of Houston for years). I swear, there was more Rangers merchandise at Academy than Astros World Series gear the last time I was there.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  4. HTown2017Champs

I'd love to see the Astros back on Fox Sports, that would REALLLLLLY help us with TV ratings. Hopefully the next few years are good for us and bad for Arlington, and that can help us make gains throughout Texas.

SugarLandFan likes this.
  5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Something cangrejeo-esque about his posts.

I don't think it would make much of a difference in ratings. ATTSN-SW is available just about everywhere with the exception of on DIsh and a couple small providers. Once they make streaming more widely available, I think it will even better.

6. SugarLandFan

SugarLandFan Member

Astros should save a bundle just on travel expenses. And it'll be easier for Houston folks to see more of the minor league talent outside of CC.

7. HTown2017Champs

Well, I'll admit, I like the "scoreboard design" for Fox better. Also, if they brought back the old MLB on Fox music, it would be even better.

8. SuraGotMadHops

FOX has great music, but man nothing got me more hyped/gave me more pre-game goosebumps than the old NBA on NBC intros. Costas with the narration over slow motion clips, then BOOM! cue the John Tesh music.

9. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Can't wait to regularly take my kid to watch Astros AAA baseball after some Salt Lick. Since we're locked into goodness for the immediate future, we can look forward to not the next Correa's, but the next Eusabio's and Spiers', which is okay by me. Hell, I'll go watch Marisnik's pitching revival.

10. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

I have a CC Hooks 10 Game mini season ticket package...in Frisco. This is the 6th season a buddy and I have split a 10 game RoughRiders package in which we attend Hooks games exclusively. And I have to grudgingly admit, that organization knows what it's doing; games at Dr. Pepper Ballpark are an awesome experience. My share of the package is $200 (parking included) and are part of the AYCE program...burgers, dogs (Nolan Ryan all-beef), brats (Johnsonville), nachos, popcorn, peanuts and cokes. Up until last season they also had pulled BBQ chicken sandwiches that were the epitome of meh unless you deleted the the bun and dumped the chicken on some nachos. They ditched the chicken sandwiches in favor of a deal with Rudy's last year. They alternate between chopped brisket, pulled pork and smoked sausage sandwiches. The clown show in Arlington could take a few lessons from Frisco on doing AYCE seats (the food in Arlington is disgusting), it's the best deal in baseball. The ballpark is a gem, customer service is top notch, promotions are plentiful and interesting (met Dawn "Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island" Wells last season); we sit behind 3rd base and in front of the AYCE Concession. They even brought "Swingin' Teddy" back a couple of years ago! I hate that they're affiliated with the Rangers.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Minor league baseball is the best value in sports if you live close to a park.

I've been to games in Corpus, Sugarland, Frisco, Round Rock, San Antonio, and Memphis (got some family up there). I've pretty much enjoyed every game I've been to.

Colt45 and Snake Diggit like this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I lived in Round Rock for a while and went to a lot of games. It was fun and cheap. It is very different from my experience with the Astros. I didn't pay attention to standings, though it was easy to tell if team was doing well or not. For the team as a whole, we were just watching the team to see if they would win that day. It is easier to focus on just a couple of players in the field as there is usually a big difference in defensive abilities among players. Players tend to change more month to month. Some games were boring as the pitchers sucked, and then late in the game, "pop". Some guy on other team is throwing in upper 90s and it makes a different sound hitting the catchers mitt.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  13. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

You got that right. Living in Maryland, there was a plethora of minor league options. Had a mini plan with the Frederick Keys (sat across the aisle from Tim "Rock" Raines during the Carolina League playoffs when his kid played for the Keys) and the Hagerstown Suns played just up I-70. Saw games in Bowie, Salisbury, Aberdeen, Woodbridge and Norfolk. Traveling around the Mid-Atlantic and Midwest I caught games in Altoona, Mahoning Valley and Wilmington. I saw an unassisted triple play and a no-hitter on back-to-back nights in Toledo at old Ned Skeldon Stadium before the Mud Hens moved. I've seen the Savannah Sand Gnats and the Savannah Bananas.

Minor League ball is the best, Jerry! The BEST!

msn likes this.
  14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Totally agree. My favorite was getting to go to Durham Stadium the year after the movie came out. The "Hit this bull for a free steak" wasn't actually there before the movie but a local restaurant decided to back it so they kept it up. My aunt lived there and she worked catering for the movie. I was 13 at the time. They were the Braves AA at the time. Many of what would become the 90's Braves were on that team. I got Steve Avery's autograph on a ball (but it wore off after years). Was such an awesome time.

15. msn

msn Member

bonus points for Seinfeld reference!

16. msn

msn Member

So, can you mods add something like...

"[OLD THREAD]"

...in front of this thread title? It gets me every time.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

That is a sweet deal. I paid $15/each for the new local independent team by me, but it is all you can eat.

18. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

The NBA on NBC theme is great, but nothing got young Colt 45 more hyped than "Heavy Action", the MNF opening theme from the late '70's. Say what you want about Howard Cosell but he was THE master of narrating highlights which he did over the theme. SO dramatic! Watch this clip from '79 Oilers-Steelers at the 'Dome...what an amazing time to live in Houston!

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  19. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

eric.81 and donkeypunch like this.
  20. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member