1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros’ farm system one of MLB’s most improved in 2018

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by LonghornFan, Dec 29, 2018.

1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

https://climbingtalshill.com/2018/12/28/astros-farm-most-improved/

2. Buck Turgidson

1 demerit for confusing post. Are they One of the most improved, or are they The most improved? Too lazy to read beyond headlines right now, and the arbitrary difference is very important in December. ;)

Snake Diggit likes this.
  3. LonghornFan

Demerit givin back as I'm posting from a phone, outside in the cold wind, drinking a cold beer while checking the bbq pit. About to inhale some tasty Lobster and Filet Mignon.

-Astros
    Of the five teams mentioned in this story, the Astros have the best farm system. They possess the top tandem of position and pitching prospects in outfielder Kyle Tucker and right-hander Forrest Whitley, though those two have been in the organization together for a few years already.

Astros' Top 30

Houston traded several intriguing farmhands in July for veteran reinforcements, but still saw its system stock surge thanks to the emergence of the likes of right-handers Josh James (who led the entire Minors in strikeout rate with 13.5 per nine innings), Corbin Martin, Bryan Abreu and Brandon Bielak. Outfielder Seth Beer became the system's second-best position prospect when he signed as a first-rounder in June, then hit .304/.389/.496 while reaching Class A Advanced in his pro debut.

https://www.mlb.com/news/most-impro.../c-302225978?partnerId=ed-13324859-1116353313

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

So where exactly does our farm now rank?

5. LonghornFan

Snake Diggit likes this.
  6. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

7 overall is a solid ranking.

I laugh at the 27th place Marlins that suck at both the MILB and MLB levels.You’d think they’d get a clue and get something meaningful for Realmuto.

Also nice to see the Red Sox near the bottom and the Yankees and Rangers behind us.

LonghornFan likes this.
  7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

This is very impressive to me.

Thank you Jeff!

IowaAstro likes this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I cant help but think that while accurate, our farm ranking is misleading. Much of the strength is Tucker and Whitley. Had they advanced last year to be included in this years roster, our ranking would have been much lower.

I am not sure, given the above, that we should be too excited. It would have been much better if instead of bolstering farm ratings, they were on the 25 man and slotted into starting roles.

9. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

James and Valdez seem to be very nice surprises. Be patient with Tucker. 78 PAs is hardly enough to know what he can do. Whitley is the next Nolan Ryan. Just be patient.